White UDFA’s on NFL rosters

referendum

Mentor
I've been intrested in what the chances are for an Undrafted free agent to actually make an NFL team. Here is a list of some teams and their white UDFA's who are listed on Yahoo sports NFL depth charts.
New York Giants. Starters Seubert, Ohara, and Blackburn.
Phil. Eagles backup Eckel
Dallas Cowboys backups Proctor and Gibbons
Wash Redskins backup Yoder
New England, starters Welker, Neal, backups De Vree, Wright, Wendall, Levoir, Ventrone, Connolly
New York Jets, starter Leonhard, backups Devito, Trusnik, Izzo.
Miami Dolphins starter Camarillo, backup Haynos
Buffalo Bills, backups Stupar, Rodd, Digiorgio, Corto

I'll post more later

referendum

Mentor
Ind. Colts starters Saturday, backups Petrowski, Lilja, Senn, Silva, Federkeil, Giguere.
Pitts. Steelers, backups Legusky, Capizzi, Kirscke, Hoke, Paxson, Bailey.
Tenn. Titans, backups Stamer, Fowler (a former starter), Harris, and we might as well add former Titan Drew Bennet who is now rosterless.
Hou. Texans, starter Brisiel, backups Stenavich, Bulman, Nading. Also WR's Anderson and Walter were deep 7th round picks.
Clev. Browns, starter Fraley, backups Quarterman and Sorensen.
Cinn. Bengals, starter Cook, backups Utecht, Crummey, Maxwell.
K.C. Chiefs, starters Cox, Niswanger, backups Lokey, Dacus.
Oakland Raiders starter Brown, backups Lawton, Gunheim.
S.D. Chargers, starter Dielman, backups Gregory, Grennan, Bakhtieri, Latsko.
Denver Broncos, starter Wiegman, backups Murray, McChesney, Erickson, Polumbus.
Jacksonville Jaguars, backup Estandia.
Balt. Ravens, backups Reitz and Mattison.
I'll finish NFC later.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Kudos for this information. Eric Peterman and Andy Brodell at WR, Tyler Roehl at RB, Mitch King at DT and Safety Daniel Charbonnet are the guys I want to make it through the most this year.

referendum

Mentor
Tough J, I agree with your wish list. We'll see what happens.
Here are the remaining teams.
Balt. Ravens, backups Reitz and Mattison.
Carolina Panthers, starter Hoover
Tampa Bucs, backup Storer
Atl. Falcons starters Dahl and Clabo, backups Finneran (who has almost been a starter I believe) Romberg, also Simon Fraser who was just cut and will hopefully be picked up by someone.
N.O. Saints, Reis and Charleston.
Chi Bears backup Balogh
GB Packers backup Kuhn (not many on Packs because they actually seem to draft white players, go figure).
Det. Lions backups Standeford, Fitzsimmons and Heller.
Minn Vikings backups Radovich, Daniels and Farwell.
Sea. Seahawks starter Russell, backup Newton.
St Louis Rams backups Mattron and Goldberg.
SF 49ers starter Sims, backups Wraage and Keasey.
Ariz. Cardinals starters Kreider (he's listed as top fullback right now) Sendlein, backups Vallejo, Urban, Francisco and Spach.

All in all quite a list. What I also noticed is how manhy late round white draft picks there were who are no important players. I didn't check how many black UDFA's there are, and what percentage of black players they constitute. I also didn't include QBs and Punters and Kickers in my survey. In a sense this is inspiring in that it shows that white players in some cases can make it without getting drafted, but it also begs the question of why players like Welker, Bennett, Blackburn, Leonhard, Saturday, Digiorgio weren't drafted in the first place.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great info referendum. Thanks for compiling this.

Every year there are going to be good players who fall through the cracks. However, in a fair system many of these guys would have been drafted. Especially now with the sumo craze, I think there will be more white o-lineman going the UDFA route but having very successful careers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
Also Mike Furrey, just signed with Cleveland Browns.

Great! Now, lets see them play him.