White survivors of the 2009 purge

referendum

Mentor
Looking on the bright side of things, here are some white survivors of the annual roster purge. Danny Woodhead, tailback NY Jets, WR Brett Swain Packers, WR Lance Long Cardinals, WR/KR Nick Miller Raiders, WR Edelman Patriots,Brian Leonard tailback Bengals, Nick Sorenson safety Browns, Nelson Safety Bengals, Rob Ninkovich LB Patriots. More later.Edited by: referendum

referendum

Mentor
Some teams resisted the horrible trend of the Raiders and Titans which was to cut virtually all white defensive players. Looks like Texans kept Cody, Bulman and Busing, and the Rams kept Chamberlain, Vobora and Dahl. I believe Chiefs kept McGraw and Studebaker, and Bills kept Corto and Wendling. I may be off on some of these survivors, but they haven't popped up on cut lists so far.
Things were looking really good as far as wide receivers (for the NFL that is) until news of the Detroit massacre came out, with both Standeford and Looker getting cut.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Chris Reis made it for Saints and so did two backup LBs for Bucs: McCoy and Koutovides, Nick Reed made the Seahawks

referendum

Mentor
Also, the Colts small contingent of white defensive players is mostly intact, with Silva, Senn and Giordano making it I believe. I haven't seen Seward on Jags cut list either. I believe Devito, Trusnik, Izzo, Renkart and Smith made it for Jets, as did Wire and Bierman for Falcons. I hope I'm not wrong, as we need all the white NFL defensive players we can get. Its almost as if certain teams, like the Raiders and Titans and Eagles decided to go into Redskins mode in an anti-white race to the bottom.

backrow

Hall of Famer
also, we can count Dave Thomas as a survivor, as he got traded to Saints and will be a backup to Shockey. he finally got out of New England where he was always an afterthought.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Because Billy Miller is out for the season.

I also recently found out that Giants' DT - Jay Alford (black) - is out for the season.

The Giants' would be my favorite team if they picked up some White DL.

referendum

Mentor
Ok, just spent some time on NFL com which has updated rosters. Here is some good news on defense. All three Giants survive. All three backup Saints survive, Bailey and Kirscke survive on Steelers, Chiefs Studebaker, Beisel, Mcgraw and Dacus is listed as IR (I thought he was cut. On Browns Costanzo, on Bills Corto and Wendling do make it, on Rams in addition to Chamberlain, Vobora, Dahl, also Gary Gibson (is he white, he looked ambigous in one photo, white in the next). Doughty on Redskins, and Spencer Havner as linebacker/tight end on Packers survive.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Rob Ninkovich is my sleeper pick for a breakout player of the year. i hope he'll be next Mike Vrabel for Pats.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Good thread.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
It looks like the Packers, with 22 white players and 10 white starters by my count, will be the team to cheer for this year. I haven't looked at the other teams yet, but this will probably the msot whites any team will have this year. Pack have three FBs on the roster now, Hall and Kuhn are ahead of Johnson on the depth chart.

Colts are close behind with 21 whites still on roster, even though it should be more.Edited by: Jack Lambert

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The Falcons retain QBs Redman & JP Wilson, whilst cutting "afflete" Shockley. Also, TE Keith Zinger & DE Kroy Biermann made the squad. Biermann had a great preseason & "should" get lots of reps this season. Kroy led the Falcons in preseason tackles with 21 total & 18 solo. The "stats" keepers ripped him off & listed him with only 1 sack; I saw him with at least 2 sack assists...so his total should be 1.5 or 2.0.

dwid

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
also, we can count Dave Thomas as a survivor, as he got traded to Saints and will be a backup to Shockey. he finally got out of New England where he was always an afterthought.

I am glad he went to New Orleans. He will have much better stats with Brees spreading the ball around They run quite a few tight end sets and use both tight ends in the receiving game. Billy Miller had like 40-something catches for around 500 yards last year as the second tight end. Most think Nola brough him in just for blocking, but Billy Miller is the tight end that is out, and he was mainly a receiving tight end, he couldn't block to save his life.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
Rob Ninkovich is my sleeper pick for a breakout player of the year. i hope he'll be next Mike Vrabel for Pats.

Backrow, are you suggesting that Ninkovich will be starting this season, or just getting alot of PT for the Pats?

I know the Pats just traded the useless Richard Seymour to the Raiders....but Ninkovich played a different position during the pre-season. Hopefully Rob and Mike Wright both get lots of PT this season.

green fire317

Banned
I think Ninkovich will be getting a decent amount of playing time. Who else do they have at outside linebacker? Pierre Woods? Gary Guyton?.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The same thing happens year in and year out in the NFL. Let's take the Packers for example. They have the highest number of white players in the league. In all honesty we know they will not get any whiter in future years. What is going to happen is they are going to get blacker just like the Patriots.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Colts are the only team to be consistently relatively white friendly over the years. But they too have mostly had the standard all-black defense in recent years with a few white backups. Rob Morris was their last white starter but he was injury prone. The Pats are the next best team over the past several years but are now pathetic on defense.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The worst offenders have to be the Eagles, Steelers, Dolphins and Jaguars. They consistently have the blackest teams in the league although the Dolphins have gotten whiter recently. I guess you can't get much blacker than the team they had in 2007 with one white starter and at one point none.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Let's not forget that under Mike Sherman, only a couple seasons ago, the Packers were consistent with around 11-12-13 whites on the team every season. Those whites consisted of Kampman on defense, and 6-7 white OL, and all white QBs.

As many have noted, NFL teams change and flip-flop their number of white players....but that MAGICAL 30% is never permitted to change.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Thrashen said:
Let's not forget that under Mike Sherman, only a couple seasons ago, the Packers were consistent with around 11-12-13 whites on the team every season. Those whites consisted of Kampman on defense, and 6-7 white OL, and all white QBs.

As many have noted, NFL teams change and flip-flop their number of white players....but that MAGICAL 30% is never permitted to change.

That has always been odd to me. Year after year the NFL always hovers right around that "MAGICAL 30%" as you put it. You would think there would be a significant fluctuation from time to time but it never seems to occur. Just for laughs, I always imagine some slimy little guy sitting behind a big desk in the NFL offices crunching numbers and then passing them off to his boss who calls the NFL training camps and reports that players need to be cut to keep the ratio in order.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
That 30 percent sure is a magical number. When you factor in the kickers, punters, and long snappers it is alot less.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Brian Russell was signed by the Jags. I hope Giordano gets picked up soon, he has to be one of the top 5 fastest safeties in the league and just needs a shot to play.

bigunreal

Mentor
It is indeed incredible that no team can have more than about 24 whites (at the absolute most), while now we see four teams with just 10.

As was pointed out, the law of averages would suggest that the number of whites would fluctuate some, not remain constant from year to year. In the meantime, contact the teams and let them know you realize they are discriminating on a racial basis. I will let you know if and when any teams respond to my emails.

Pollyanna

Guru
I like the idea of contacting teams bigunreal. Perhaps you may post links or other contact info. Thanks for the tip and I will indeed start with the Jets (Just end the season).

referendum

Mentor
Brian Russell to Jags, Ryan Fowler to Jets, Tony Pashos to 49ers and Kirk Chambers back with the Bills are some new survivors.

Kaptain

Master
Thrashen said:

Green Bay has 24 white players. 3 more whites would put them at over 50% white. A few years ago the Rams flirted with the 50% ceiling - they don't have that problem anymore. I often thought that was the hidden reason Mike Martz so hated by the media and football pundits. Martz didn't last long and the Rams have sucked big arse ever since. No team will be allowed to breech the 50% mark. One would think that this would happen accidentally by chance every once in awhile, but there are no accidents in the controlled NFL.