White Special Teams Demons

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We've mentionedpreviously how Jim Kelly called Steve Tasker the Bills best receiver during team practices, but he was always kept on special teams until the end of his career when he received some token playing time. Travis Jervey has always been used similarly as a "special teams demon." Larry Izzo has been a special teams demon yethasalmost never been used at linebacker by Miami and New England. There are plenty of other such pigeonholed players, almost always white.

The Steelers have a similar type player.Sean Morey is a wide receiver who never gets to play wide receiver. He has been kicked around --cut by the Patriots twice, cut by the Eagles, picked up by the Steelers last year solely because he excelled on special teams with Philadelphia. He is now 29 years old and has one career catch in the NFL.

I wonder, justhow is it that Morey is such an excellentspecial teams player yet is so lacking as a wide receiver that no team would dare use him in that fashion. He's 5'11" and 200 pounds, so to be a special teams demon he must possess the attributes of quickness and the ability to shed blockers, as well as being able to block when his team is kicking off. Aren't those attributes that are highly sought in wide receivers?

Morey went to Brown University, so we know he must be quite bright.Surely he has the brain power to run routes as they are drawn up. I've never read that he has bad hands. He's currently on a team that has poor depth at the wide receiver position. To be a special teams demon one obviously must be a good athlete. Yet the sun will rise in the west before Sean Morey gets a chance to be even a backup wide receiver in the NFL. Hmm, I wonder why that is. . .

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think it's because he is white.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Morey had a big game last night, catching 5 balls for 68 yards including a nice 45 yard touchdown. impressive! also had a special teams tackle, of course. hope he makes the cut...