White RBs 2008

White Power

Mentor
Peter Geurts is a freshman for the California Golden Bears he had 6 carries for 44 yards in his season debut not bad for his 1st game experience.

SteveB

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Is Halderman considered an NFL prospect? Will he at least get a free agent look?
Not likely, he is a small, fast player for the Air Force who is only a sophmore. How many players just like him have come through the Academy without getting a sniff from the NFL?

Gi-15

Mentor
Could he transfer somewhere just like former Air Force turned Ohio State LB Anthony Schlegel? Why was this man allowed to transfer from there at the first place btw?

Gi-15

Mentor
Gi-15 said:
greats stats for that Lawson kid! congrats!

I need some help here, can anybody tell me why Luke Lippincott is getting 3rd-string like work?? What is happenning there in nevada??

Luke is lost for the season due to a torn ACL. ..

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20080907/SPORTS/80907999 7/1059/NEWS&parentprofile=-1

our guys just can't get a break...
smiley11.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
damn.
smiley18.gif

White Power

Mentor
Colonel I did not want to go against the grain, by listing the stata of Unga, Matthews and others. If you want me too I will. I guess I'm not sure if you guys will appreciate the effort or not? Like it or not the guys who are not black and run the ball are pretty damn good in some instances. Like I said previously I would rather have Unga run the ball for my team than Chris Wells if you get my point.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mosely returned 1 kick for 10 yards yesterday. I can't find where he was hurt, but it does figure that he was hurt at some point or he would have had some carries.

Horrible news about Luke Lippincott. That is a tough one to swallow.

Gi-15

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:

Indeed Colonel, as Luke was about the only real RB prospect for next years draft. Bolen and Sutherland will be viewed as FB due to their size and experience there, and it's my personnal view that Kyle Bell is done, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Is Tyler Roehl a junior or a senior?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gi-15, Tyler is a senior. You know, a quick google search of his name brings up his profile as the first result. This isn't difficult stuff.
smiley2.gif

White Power, nope I don't want to list them. The reason I asked is that you were so gung ho about it all. Thanks for answering the question.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Stats complete for this week.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i just saw this! can't believe no one has mentioned him... but here's one more player for you, Colonel Reb.

David Sinisi of Monmouth is currently the number two Division IAA rusher in the nation, despite playing for a team that is 0-2.

in his most recent game, he ran 29 times for 182 yards and 2 touchdowns. he also had 2 catches for 30 yards.
smiley32.gif

in Monmouth's opener, he totaled 21 carries, 138 yards, and 1 touchdown rushing, and 3 catches for 29 yards.
smiley32.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
Colonel_Reb said:

Indeed Colonel, as Luke was about the only real RB prospect for next years draft. Bolen and Sutherland will be viewed as FB due to their size and experience there, and it's my personnal view that Kyle Bell is done, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Is Tyler Roehl a junior or a senior?

Man that is upsetting. Lippincott would have gotten drafted IMO if he could have put together a great season (6 YPC/ 1,200+ yards/ 12+ TDs) like he is capable of and run in at least the low 4.5s in the 40 yard. Kyle Bell doesn't look the same since his injury and Gartell Johnson is rightfully earning more playing time. I hope Bell can turn it around, but he hasn't looked good. The good news is that Toby Gerhart looks like the real deal and Jared Hawkins has emerged this year. I hope Gerhart's knee holds up, a PCL tear is a very hard injury to do surgery on and rehab, so far he has looked great though.

Gi-15

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Gi-15, Tyler is a senior. You know, a quick google search of his name brings up his profile as the first result. This isn't difficult stuff.
smiley2.gif

Are you inting I'm lazy colonel? you're right
smiley36.gif

hey guys check this one out, can't beleive we missed this one out. It is on the net since september 3rd, and once again kudos to DD.com to find it out.

<a href="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/pac10/0-2-22/Looks-deceiving-with-Stanford-s-Gerhart.html" target="_blank">
Looks deceiving with Stanford's Gerhart</a>

A person meets Toby Gerhart for the first time. Gerhart tells said person he plays football for Stanford.

Person: "What position do you play."
Gerhart: "Running back."
Person: "Oh, so fullback?"
Gerhart: "No, running back."

"It's a straight stereotype from the get-go," Gerhart said.

The stereotype isn't only that white men can't jump. It's also that they can't play running back.

And Gerhart is white.

"People look at you differently for sure," he said. "I feel like I'm pretty fast, but immediately they classify me as a big, power back. They discredit my speed. A lot of programs when I was being recruited said they'd give me a shot at tailback but they saw me more as a linebacker or fullback."

As a running back at Norco (Calif.) High School, Herhart rushed for 9,622 yards, the best all-time mark in California prep history and third best in the nation. He rolled up 3,233 yards and 39 TDs as a senior and earned Parade All-American honors.

So when teams suggested linebacker, it's hard not to suspect where that inclination might have come from.

Understand: Gerhart is merely replying to a question. He's not striking up a chorus of "We Shall Overcome." He's certainly aware that his life hasn't been scarred by prejudice.

And, typically, it doesn't take long for him to prove himself. His case is best made when opposing players start chasing him, as Oregon State's defensive backs found as Gerhart sprinted for a 46-yard TD in the Cardinal's 36-28 victory last week.

"I think I've put a couple of things on film that show I have the ability to get the corner and take it down the sidelines," he said.

Such film already has made an impression on one person: Arizona State coach Dennis Erickson, whose Sun Devils play host to Stanford on Saturday night.

"You could see that [speed] against Oregon State when he breaks into the open and nobody catches him," he said.

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh is obviously taken with his running back, who piled up a career-high 147 yards on 19 carries -- a stout 7.7 yards per tote average -- against a team known for its outstanding run defense (Stanford finished with 210 yards rushing overall).

"He reminds me of John Riggins," Harbaugh said. "He's very tough to bring down. He's muscular -- about 230. Got a good center of gravity. It's hard to get your arms around his lower body. He probably has surprising speed to most people. He's got very light feet. He's got really good instincts."

Gerhart might have broken out a year ago. In the season's second game against San Jose State, he had piled up 140 yards on 12 carries before he blew out his knee in the third quarter. His season was over.

"It was frustrating because I felt I could have made a difference in the season," he said. "There were a couple of games where I feel like if I played maybe the outcome could have been different."

His 140 yards turned out to be a season's best for Stanford, which couldn't run a lick thereafter, finishing ranked ninth in the Pac-10 with 111 yards per game.

There's another level of intrigue for Gerhart heading down to Arizona State. His younger brother, Garth, is the Sun Devils backup center.

Toby Gerhart said he noticed his brother being a bit briefer this week when he quizzed him about all things Sun Devil.

And another difficult but unavoidable question popped up.

So, can his 300-pound "little" bro whip him?

"He's always been a lot bigger than I've been," Toby Gerhart said. "Yeah, he could probably take me. I wouldn't want to admit that ... I don't know. It would be a good little scrap but he'd probably have the upper hand. If worst came to worst, I'd probably just run away."

Of course, unlike many who might stereotype Gerhart, his little brother knows all about his speed.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the post of the great article GI! This has got to be up there with one of the best mainstream articles in the last few years. FYI, try to post the authors name with the article, so they get credit for it and to avoid copyrite problems. This was a good find.
smiley17.gif

Looks deceiving with Stanford's Gerhart

September 3, 2008 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i just saw this! can't believe no one has mentioned him... but here's one more player for you, Colonel Reb.

David Sinisi of Monmouth is currently the number two Division IAA rusher in the nation, despite playing for a team that is 0-2.

in his most recent game, he ran 29 times for 182 yards and 2 touchdowns. he also had 2 catches for 30 yards.
smiley32.gif

in Monmouth's opener, he totaled 21 carries, 138 yards, and 1 touchdown rushing, and 3 catches for 29 yards.
smiley32.gif

Thanks for the info Jimmy! I haven't had time to check out all the FCS or DII/DIII players or stats yet. My lifehas changed quite a bit theselast several months. In reality, there would probably be twice as many players as I have listed already if I took the time to identify and list them all.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
The Toby Gerhart article is good news.

The Luke Lippincott injury shows the shaky ground we are always on with white RBs. Because we have so few in Div. 1, a major injury or two just screws everything up.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, that is a nice article about Toby. I hope he continues to have success.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel, three other players to add to your list for weekly stats. Billy Bair is on the Duquesne roster. Cory McCaffrey on Portland State had one catch last week, Brock Jackloski is on Hofstra. Also Skylar Jessen has a career threatening hamstring problem and is no longer on the Washington State roster.

I really appreciate all the hard work you do Colonel and would never be able to have the time or energy to post that many stats. The same goes for Jimmy Chitwood, you two guys are two of the best posters on the site for sure.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
thanks, TJR. i appreciate the kind words. and i agree with you about the Colonel. the work he puts in is amazing.

it is a complete and utter shame that Cory McCaffrey is playing wide receiver at a nowhere school. completely and utterly shameful.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info Tough. I noticed Cory's stats last week but didn't list him because he is now a WR. Didn't know about the other two though. I'll be sure to add them. We've got one more week of games before the Ivy League starts play, so I'll be adding those players.

I appreciate you and Jimmy's words and the work that you do as well.Yeah, itis time consuming, especiallytrying to find info on players in the lower divisions, but fun at the same time. Just a heads up, I won't be able to list many this Saturday as my wife and I willbe at the BYU/UCLA game and then out of town for a bit. I'll try to post some RB stats Sunday or Monday.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Thanks for the info Tough. I noticed Cory's stats last week but didn't list him because he is now a WR. Didn't know about the other two though. I'll be sure to add them. We've got one more week of games before the Ivy League starts play, so I'll be adding those players.

I appreciate you and Jimmy's words and the work that you do as well. Yeah, it is time consuming, especially trying to find info on players in the lower divisions, but fun at the same time. Just a heads up, I won't be able to list many this Saturday as my wife and I will be at the BYU/UCLA game and then out of town for a bit. I'll try to post some RB stats Sunday or Monday.

You are right that Cory is a WR and so is Brock Fitzhenry for that matter. I just somehow am hoping that listing them as RBs will cause a rain dance type magical effect and actually lead to some carries for them... Well actually I'm not quite that superstitious, hahaha...but it is just nice to see them listed for their best position.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
We currently have 2 whites in the top 25 in rushing yardage in ths FBS. Derek Lawson from Arkansas State is 12th, while Toby Gerhart is 17th. Congrats and keep it going!
smiley32.gif
Kyle Halderman is thenext white player on the list at 38th,and he only has 9 carries. Chase Clement is 42nd.