White players on black teams

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Senior forward Tony Gaffney is the only white player expected to get much playing time for UMass this season. Gaffney shines despite not getting many touches on the offensive end for a selfish, sloppy, and terrible team. Possibly the best defensive player in the Atlantic 10 Conference, Gaffney is also a tremendous force on the glass.

Gaffney has collected a game-high rebound total in each of his team's first two contests this season. He also swatted a phenomenal 7 shots to go along with a team-high 2 steals in his team's loss against Southern Illinois yesterday.
smiley32.gif

tonygaffney.jpg

Tony Gaffney denies a shotEdited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
UCLA's James Keefe has had a disappointing career. A former McDonald's All-AMerican and tremendous athlete, he's spent most of his time in a Bruins uniform sitting on the bench due to injury and inconsistent play. He's shown flashes of brilliance, most notably in UCLA's NCAA first-round tourney win. But he's also shown a tendency to be a milk-hearted pussy. Will he finally decide to man up and ball this year?

If not, there is only one other white player on UCLA's roster who will have a chance to get minutes. Shooting guard Michael Roll was a phenomenal player coming out of high school, but injuries have de-railed his collegiate career thus far. Hopefully, he will revert to form as it is said he is healthy once again.

jameskeefe.jpg

James Keefe goes to the rack

icsept

Master
Rotnei Clarke - Arkansas. This 6'0" 184 lb Freshman is starting for the Razorbacks. He is Oklahoma's all-time leading high school scorer and averaged 40.9 points per game his senior year. He averaged 18.5 points in the Hogs two exhibition games. He is Mark Price reincarnated.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
damn you, icsept!
smiley36.gif
i was listening to the Hogs game on the radio and planning on posting on Clarke afterwards.
smiley4.gif
i'll post on him anyway! he's going to be a good one, i think.

Rotnei Clarke was arguably the best shooter in American high school basketball a year ago. He averaged 40.9 points, 8.0 rebounds, 6.9 assists and 3.4 steals as a senior, once scored 65 points in a game, and is more athletic than given credit for. Go figure.

The all-time leading scorer in Oklahoma prep history could see time at both shooting guard and point guard. Either way, he could get plenty of shot attempts in his first season. He made 159 three-pointers as a senior. As a team last year, Arkansas made 207.
In two exhibition games, scored 37 points on 10-16 from the floor and didn't miss a free throw. He also had 6 assists to just 1 turnover. Of course, exhibition games mean little, but at least he's off to a good start.

In Arkansas' opener, he scored 17 on just 11 shots (including a clutch 3-pointer late), had just 1 turnover, and had the head coach insisting the team needs to get him more shots.

Redshirt freshman power forward Michael Sanchez will also be a key contributor for the Razorbacks this season. Already a starter, he is the kind of glass-eating, tough defender that every team needs to be successful. He'll score a little bit, but he'll really make his mark on the boards. He had 12 rebounds in the Hogs opener, even though he was on the bench a lot because of foul trouble. He's foul prone, and if he gets that under control he'll be a monster underneath.

rotneiclarke.jpg

Rotnei Clarke

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Clemson sophomore shooting guard Terrence Oglesby earned his reputation as a feared, and clutch, shooter last season as a true freshman coming off the bench. He has deeeeeeeeeep range and can score points in bunches, as his average of 10.5 points in just 18 minutes-per-game attests. Now a starter, Oglesby should put up better numbers this season. He had 15 points in just 21 minutes in Clemson's opener.

The only other white player on the Tigers roster who will see much action is freshman guard/forward Tanner Smith. He is a really good looking athlete, can guard any of the perimeter positions, and is capable of running the point on offense. A good long-range shooter, he can also get to the rack and finish above the rim. I really like the way this young guy plays.

terrenceoglesby-1.jpg

Terrence Oglesby

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
6-10 Texas senior forward/center Connor Atchley burst onto the scene last season as a shot-blocking force. He led the Big 12 in blocked shots with over two a game, while also shooting 54% from the floor and snagging just over 5 boards a game. He is capable of being a dominant scorer, however being the only white man on a guard-heavy black team means he doesn't get many touches in the post, or anywhere on offense for that matter. Which is ridiculous, because he's arguably the best 3-point shooter on the Longhorns, as well.

This season has started out like last season ended. In Texas' opener, Atchley scored 14 and didn't miss a shot from the floor. But he only had 5 field goal attempts. He also blocked 3 shots and grabbed 5 rebounds.

connoratchley.jpg

Connor Atchley

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Wake Forest junior 7-footer Chas McFarland (pronounced Chase) has nearly the exact same story as Atchley above. Bursting on the scene a year ago as the ACC's most-improved player, all McFarland needed was an opportunity. Once he got it, he never looked back. Leading his team in blocks (48) and field goal percentage (49%), and finishing second in rebounding with almost 6 per-game, McFarland suffers from just one problem: he is the only white man on the team, and therefore isn't allow to touch the ball.

This season has started out no different. In the Demon Deacons opener, McFarland didn't miss a shot or a free throw. Too bad he only had 4 field goal attempts and 4 free throws. If collegiate athletics is truly a merit-ocracy, you'd think he'd get more touches.

He ended the game with 12 points, 7 rebounds, and 1 block.

chasmcfarland.jpg

Chas McFarland with the denialEdited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I don't know much about Oklahoma's sophomore guard, Cade Davis except for two things: 1) Every time he's on the court, he makes good things happen, and 2) He's the only white player on scholarship for the Sooners.

So it's no surprise that he comes off the bench. And no, it doesn't matter that he's "down with the homeboys," or that ESPN-heartthrob Blake Griffin is his best friend. The racial hierarchy must be enforced, and Oklahoma's resident quota must be kept in his place. on the bench to start the game.

He is a heck of a player, though, and it'd be nice to see what he could do given more opportunity.

cadedavis.jpg

Cade Davis

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
It seems like Arizona guard/forward Chase Budinger has been around forever, but the skywalking phenom is just a junior. A complete offensive player, Budinger can pretty much do anything he wants to with the ball in his hands. Capable of running the point, hitting from long range, or dunking on your head, the only thing that prevents the redhead from putting up obscenenly HUGE numbers is his unselfishness.

He's once again a favorite for All-conference and All-American honors, which begs the question, "Why doesn't Arizona recruit more players who are 'like' Budinger?"

The only other white athlete likely to see the floor in a significant way for the Wildcats is freshman center Alex Jacobson, who is a project.

chasebudinger-1.jpg

Chase Budinger

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Michigan State senior center Goran Suton gets no respect. The Rodney Dangerfield of the Big 10, Suton is routinely lampooned by the media and fans, even his own. In reality, Suton is a very tough big man who is one of the best rebounders in the country and a capable scorer around the basket. Last year he was second in the Big Ten in rebounding (9.2 rpg) and shot 54% from the floor while averaging just over 9 points-per-game.

Formerly a haven for tough white kids, MSU has seen its roster dramatically darken this year. Aside from Suton, only two other white ball players have a chance to see the floor this year under head coach Tom Izzo. Wildly inconsistent junior wing Isaiah Dahlman has been a disappointment thus far as a Spartan. Sophomore 7-footer Tom HerNWO is an intriguing project. If his potential ever turns into production, he'll be an impressive player. But at 7 feet, that's a BIG if.

goransuton.jpg

Goran Suton

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Missouri senior guard Matt Lawrence fits all the stereotypes of white basketball players. He's slow, and he can't jump. However, he's also tough as nails, is smart and cool under pressure, can shoot the lights out from anywhere in the gym, works his butt off, and is a winner. You make the call if that sounds like a guy you want on your team or not. He's started 61 games so far in his Tiger career, and he's penciled in as the only white starter again this season.

Sophomore forward Justin Safford doesn't fit the non-athletic stereotypes. An enthusiastic rebounder, at 6-8, the athletic Safford possesses guard skills and really shines in the up-tempo game Missouri prefers, which makes one wonder why he doesn't get more playing time.

mattlawrence.jpg

Matt Lawrence hustles to save a loose ball

justinsafford.jpg

Justin Safford

justinsafford2.jpg

Safford mixing it up

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
TCU only has two white guys who see the court, but they both start. they also have a couple of other things in common. both are ju-co transfers, and both are foreign-born.

6-6 Lithuanian small forward Edvinas Ruzgas and 6-9 Slovenian center Zvonko Buljan both possess the all-around skills so common among European hoopsters. they can shoot, pass, and rebound. in fact, in TCU's opener, in addition to having a team-high 4 rebounds, Buljan had a team-high 4 assists. not bad for a center. he also chipped in 11 points.

Ruzgas had a team-high 16 points on 6-8 shooting (including 4-6 from 3-point land), while adding 3 boards and 2 assists.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Boston College sophomore Joe Trapani decided the competition in Vermont wasn't tough enough, so he transferred. BC welcomed the 6-8 sharpshooting forward with open arms, especially after Trapani led Vermont to a win over the Eagles when he was a freshman.

It looks like Trapani has earned a starting spot this year, apparently displacing junior forward Tyler Roche. Roche, who started 23 games a year ago, is a glue guy who does all the little things that help a team win but don't always show up on a stat sheet. He is an above-average 3-point shooter, though he doesn't take many. It's too bad Boston College has a one-white man-limit for its starting lineup, because the two certainly could stretch out a defense.

Trapani had game-highs of 9 rebounds and 6 assists to go along with 13 points in his Boston College debut. Roche did get 20 minutes off the bench.

joetrapani.jpg

Joe Trapani

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Xavier true freshman, Kenny Frease, had an excellent collegiate debut.

Standing 6-11 and 265 pounds, he swatted 3 shots, grabbed 7 boards and scored 12 points in 20 minutes. He was 6-9 from the free throw line and he added 2 assists.

Iowa State's Jamie Vanderbeken had a better debut than I expected. The versatile jc transfer recorded a double double (14 points and 10 boards) and he added 2 assists, 2 steals and a block in Iowa State's 61-58 win over UC-Davis. He notched 27 minutes in this game which is a good sign.

Jimmy,

I agree completely with your write-ups on Connor Atchley and Chas McFarland. Good thing that Chas is a center because Wake has a bunch of black forwards. I think Chas will get more touches (I'm hoping anyways), but this was a game where they blew out NC Central and Chas played roughly one half of ball (21 minutes).

That D.J. Augustine, that played on Texas last year, was such an overrated ball hog and yet he got praise and awards. My goodness...
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Deadlift

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Deadlift, i posted on Xavier's Kenny Frease on the "whitest college teams" thread.

even though Xavier is expected to start 5 blacks, they have three extremely talented white freshmen who should get a lot of minutes. and if things were fair, at least two of them should emerge as a starter pretty quickly.

edited to add: Vanderbeken plays for a suddenly very white Iowa State team. in their 8-man rotation, they play 5 white kids. and the three youngsters, including Vanderbeken, are all very good. ISU is very young, though, and the program is re-building. none of the current Cyclones suited up for Iowa State before last year.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
That was a good picture of Kenny that you posted. He's going to block a lot of shots.

Speaking of Xavier, Brad Redford wants you to know that he was actually the best prep shooter in America last year.

Tom HerNWO may never reach his potential, because he has a problem many of us wish we had -- can't keep on any weight. He moves well at 7-0, but just can't bang.

Dahlman has been a huge disappointment. He's actually been surpassed by Austin Thornton, a 6-5 white sophomore who turned down all the mid-majors to walk on at MSU.

Wow, Dahlman wasn't even on the court for MSU at the end of a blowout vs. Idaho. The aforementioned Austin Thornton played really well, 9 points and would've had more but got hit in the head.

And how does Idaho have no white players, at all?

Walk-on Thornton has memorable debut for MSU
by David Mayo | The Grand Rapids Press
Sunday November 16, 2008, 11:15 PM

EAST LANSING -- Michigan State learned from its season opener that it has a walk-on who can play some.

Just as Austin Thornton learned when you're the biggest surprise of a game not expected to produce many, you shouldn't be the first player to leave the locker room after the game.

Thornton already was back at his apartment by the time he got the message and called, apologetically, to explain an odd phenomenon that took place Sunday night at Breslin Center where MSU beat Idaho 100-62.

First, the redshirt freshman from Cedar Springs High School got first-half minutes as a walk-on in his college debut, which is memorable enough.

"After the exhibition games, I thought I played pretty solid," he said. "I didn't know if I'd get meaningful minutes or just garbage time but I thought I'd get a chance to play."

Then, Thornton was on the court all of 62 seconds of his first college game before he teed up a 3-pointer. He swished it. A couple minutes later, he did it again. Late in the second half, he did it again. And if not for getting clobbered and knocked woozy between the second and third bombs, he might have played even more.

Nine minutes, nine points, one rebound, one assist is a statistical line usually reserved for an entrusted rotation player, not a non-scholarship guy playing his first real game since high school two years ago.

"The way he shot it, with confidence, he shot it that way in practice," Spartans coach Tom Izzo said.

About a week ago, Izzo had a heart-to-heart with Thornton about where the player saw himself in the future of the program. Thornton characterized the talk as "seeing where our heads were and getting to know each other better."

Izzo saw it as a glimpse into the inner workings of an athlete who was a starting high school quarterback until he decided to focus on basketball as a senior, then walked on at one of the nation's leading college programs.

"One thing about a competitive kid -- and he is a competitive kid -- is they respond," Izzo said. "Some guys don't respond. And I don't mean to getting chewed out, I mean respond to getting challenged. He has responded.

"It's a tribute to his toughness, his perseverance and his ability to look at things and take some criticism and build on it, which not all guys can do."

Tim Bograkos knows the challenges. The Flint native was the last Spartan to play a significant walk-on role. As a third-year sophomore during the 2002-03 season, Bograkos hit a game-winning 3-pointer at Kentucky, a play on which Izzo later called him "the sixth option."

Bograkos, who ultimately made himself a scholarship rotation player, said he has discussed the difficulties of walk-on life with Thornton.

"You kind of share that bond, as a walk-on, and I've shared it with him and tried to keep his head up, tried to keep him working hard," said Bograkos, who watched from courtside. "Coming out of the redshirt year is always tough, because you have to practice and work real hard but don't get to play. This just tells you about his character and what kind of kid he is, and how hard he worked coming out of the offseason."

Thornton said summers on the AAU circuit convinced him he could compete with highly recruited players.

"I'm very competitive. I've got a great work ethic. It's a quiet confidence I have. I wanted to play with the best and I wanted to play against the best," he said.

These first-half minutes might not be as plentiful as the schedule stiffens. But they were unanticipated Sunday, too, and after this first response, who knows?

"I just know, from my conversation with coach, he told me to keep working because you never know what's going to happen, someone may get hurt or something," Thornton said. "Obviously, when you go 3-for-3 on 3-pointers, you feel good about it. But I just have to stay level-headed and not get too high about the highs, or too low about the lows."

icsept

Master
Its funny you never hear of a Black walk-on player. I guess its a combination of White high school players being overlooked due to their race, and the socio-economic factors. White walk-ons are encouraged to boost the team gpa. Also, Blacks aren't going to college if they actually have to pay for it.

Michigan's starting point guard, David Merritt, was a walk-on. He's black.

icsept

Master
GreatLakeState, thanks for ruining my theory with a fact.
smiley6.gif
The exception to the rule, no doubt.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Rhode Island senior guard Jimmy Baron has patterned himself and his game after former Duke All-American J.J. Redick, and the results are paying off. Arguably the best 3-point shooter in the country, Baron has set and re-set Rhode Island's records the past two seasons. And this year looks to have the same thing happen again.

Baron's early-season performance against the Bluedevils left Duke's head coach Mike Krzyzewski wondering if he shouldn't have sent the tapes of J.J. to Rhode Island for Baron to study. Against the Bluedevils, Baron went 8-10 from behind the new, more distant 3-point line and lit up Duke for 24 points, 21 of which came in the second half in the narrow loss to heavily-favored Duke. Also running some point, Baron finished with just 1 turnover in 35 minutes of play.

jimmybaron.jpg

Jimmy Baron lights up a defender

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Loyola (Md.) has their own version of Jimmy Baron in junior combo guard Brett Harvey. Harvey "doesn't look like a basketball player," and "won't blow you away with his athleticism," but "he is gritty, tough, doesn't make mistakes, and can really shoot it," as announcers repeatedly inform us. So in other words, he is an excellent basketball player, but he's white so they can't compliment him on the things he does well to help his team win games.

And win he does, having led Rhode Island over his last two seasons to its best two-year record since 1954-56. Harvey hit for a career-high 34 earlier this year. You'd think his college coach would target more players similar to Harvey, however he's the only white man to get significant minutes for the Greyhounds, while there are numerous "athletic" black players on the roster who can't shoot, dribble, pass, or play defense. Kind of seems backwards to me.

brettharvey.jpg

Brett Harvey with the rebound

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
San Diego State senior power forward Ryan Amoroso is a wide bodied, below-the-rim big man who could put on camps teaching rebounding. Despite being undersized and not blessed with great leaping ability, he seems to vacuum in rebounds because of his strength and quickness. The best all-around player for the Aztecs, Amoroso is a capable scorer but really makes his mark on the glass and on the defensive end of the floor. Take for example his performance against Arizona State's highly touted Jeff Pendergraph, in SDSU's narrow loss.

Matched up with Pendergraff all night, Amoroso held the "superstar" to only 8 points and a mere 2 rebounds. Meanwhile, Amoroso quietly managed 7 boards and 7 points on 3-6 shooting.

The only other white athlete to get floor time with the Aztecs is French big man Mehdi Cheriet.

ryanamoroso.jpg

Ryan Amoroso drives to the hoop