White Hope label obsolete

mark b.

I really get amused and disgusted all at the same time when I see the term "Great White Hope" still being thrown around by sports writers. I suppose old habits die hard, but even the most pro-caste sports writers have to realize that things have changed. I saw the term being applied to Ricky Hatton today, and all I could do was just shake my head. I never liked the term 30 years ago but it was easier to understand then. Things were not good for white boxers then, but that was then and this is now. The tables have turned and hopefully for good. White boxers dominate alot of the most important divisions, but I haven't heard anyone use the term "Great Black Hope". Maybe when Hatton wins the term will be put to rest once and for all. Not a chance.

G

Pretty much every good black boxer is a great black hope to the boxing experts around here. David Haye and Chad Dawson, who would be competitive in matches against any boxer at 200 or 175, are just "hopes" with no proven ability according to castefootball boxing analysts.

Apparently holding and defending a major belt makes the guy on the other side of the argument a hope, instead of a proven boxer. White or black, they're all hopes to the opposition.

Amren.com

Mentor
nevada said:
Pretty much every good black boxer is a great black hope to the boxing experts around here. David Haye and Chad Dawson, who would be competitive in matches against any boxer at 200 or 175, are just "hopes" with no proven ability according to castefootball boxing analysts.

Apparently holding and defending a major belt makes the guy on the other side of the argument a hope, instead of a proven boxer. White or black, they're all hopes to the opposition.

Who said Dawson or Haye were just "hopes" with no proven boxing ability?

Amren.com

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Here goes Nevada again. His anti white nonsense is so evident. Many have noticed this here already.

Yep. I'm relatively new to the site and asked for such evidence and here it is.

BTW Nevada, who called Haye or Dawson a "great black hope"?

G

Not just "great white hope". "Great white DOPE", that's what they called our guys, too - great white dopes.