White domination of boxing?

speedster

Mentor
The only advantage blacks have over whites in boxing,and this was mentioned by another poster,is in the cut department.Whites have more of a propencity to be busted open than do blacks.As far as cranium structure goes,well there have been plenty of whites who can take a good shot,in fact there have been so many that you can't say it's just another exception to the rule.The best examples I can give are Billy Graham and George Chuvalo.These two guys had a kajillion fights and neither one tasted the canvas.Yet there have been plenty of china-chin blacks who didn't take a good shot like Tommy Hearns, Earnie Shavers and Floyd Patterson.It would be interesting to know just how many times Floyd was dropped,I'd say it has to be close to twenty.I don't about blacks having longer arms,but that doesn't make you automatically better because of reach advantage,there are ways to get around that.Once again guys,it's socio-economics that have kept blacks and hispanics in the limelight,there is that desperation factor that whites don't have because plenty of whites have other options and a lot of blacks don't.Although the Eastern-Europeans may have something to say about that.

White_Savage

Mentor
******** do on average have longer limbs in relations to their body size, Asians seem to have the shortest, with whites in between.

Most of the good white stand-up fighters I've met have had relatively long arms also. The best example of this is my training partner Kenny, who is a head shorter than me but has 4 inches of reach on me!

You're right that it's not an insurmountable advantage, but all things being equal, it is an advantage, particularly as half the boxing matches I see where a mismatch in reach is involved, the taller guy (especially the blacks) will pound away from the outside and if the opponent manages to come in, will immediately clench for dear life till the ref seperates them. That may be one key difference that makes boxing so black and NHB so white. It's interesting you bring up cuts, since another thing about NHB is they don't seem to stop fights on cuts nearly so much as boxing, let's hope it stays that way.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wish they wouldn't stop so many boxing matches on cuts either. If they hadn't had, many more whites would have won decisions over black fighters in championship fights, dating from the 60's on up. Does anyone agree with me?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I wish they wouldn't stop so many boxing matches on cuts either. If they hadn't had, many more whites would have won decisions over black fighters in championship fights, dating from the 60's on up. Does anyone agree with me?
Yes.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White_Savage

Mentor
Reb: Certainly.

Quarry vrs. Frazier and Chuvalo vrs. Ali to name but two fights that were stopped on cuts, one where a white amateur was holding his own against what was considered the supreme superior ******* fighter, the other where a white was winning against "the greatest of all time".

Klitscko vrs. Lewis I don't even need to mention...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's a very good point C.Reb.Even when Klitschko was
winning the fight against L.Lewis,it was stopped due to
cuts so Lenox won.I think that Vitali might have had a
chance to knock out Lewis.Lenox was really breathing
heavy and was overweight.He probably was going to get
knocked out or beat at points.Then the bad cut and they
give the victory to Lewis.What a joke!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Speaking of cuts, Savage, I know this isn't boxing but do you recall Oleg "the Bleeder" Taktorov of the early days in the UFC?

You look at that guy cross-eyed and blood would shoot from his forehead. But because he fought in MMA back in the day when you could still bleed, he won a lot of fights. I was thinking in particular of his victory over Tank Abbott.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think if they had won those fights back in the 60's, boxing could have been changed quite a bit from how it is now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would have made a noticeable difference.

pugnus said:
Sean said:
I've decided that instead of trying to read all the posts on Golota's loss, I would address it all here.

First of all, Brewster's victory over Golota marks the first win of a black over a major heavyweight since Wlad fall against Brewster as well. I guess that gives certain people a chance to gloat. However, it may prove short lived. Over on fightnews I read an article stating that the future of boxing lies with the Europeans. There is only two up and coming black prospects, that people expect big things of...Peter and Brock. That shows why most people don't like the HW division. While beating a shot Golota and a drugged Wladimir might be a big step up for Brewster (who was given all he could handle, and lost in most people opinion to Kali Meehan), I don't think he will last much longer. Vitali is recognized as the man by most. He will beat Rahman when they fight, as well as Brewster. Valuev is mandatory for Ruiz, and that would be an easy win for the Beast from the East. Don't even bring up Byrd.

It's plain to see that the future of the heavyweight division is pretty much locked up by Euro's, specifically Eastern Euro's. Check the future of boxing post to see for yourself.
That why Vitali is ducking Rahman ?

And stop with the whining about the ''supposedly'' drugged Wlad Prove it !.

And its not a given that Valuev beats Ruiz . Valuev is open to the right cross the one punch that Ruiz has actually mastered i would'nt be suprised to see Ruiz win.

Funny that you now call Golota shot while its pretty clear that before the fight you expected Golota to steamroll the ''bum'' Brewster. But now he is ''shot '' right ?
smiley36.gif

Vitali is injured you stupid f*ck.also lets not forget the whole story.Rahman kept postponing the fight because he felt he wanted more money and then when barrett decided to step in ,rahman changed his mind.WHo the hell has rahman beat since he got lucky against lewis.for petes sake he lost against holyfield and ruiz and he barely beat Al "ICE" cole.Vitali doenst duck anybody.The man had a operation and is recovering.for your sake I hope rahman does beat barrett,because is there is nothing more than to see Vitali give rahman and deserved bloody beating.he is going to teach rahman a lesson he will never forget.

also its obvious Wladimir Klitschko was drugged against brewster.I know who was behind it.look ta wlad between rounds.wlad's lips got more and more blue.he couldnt even talk after the fight.he was passed out you idiot.the bigots will do anything to stop wlad and vitali especially wlad because he is still young and capable of ruling the division for many years.

Does anyone know what is going on with Andrew Golotta or Franz Botha (prevous HW contenders)? Also, does anyone know if their is truth behind another Klitschko vs Lewis bout? Iheard there may be one in 2006?

I don't know if you guys are in to amateur boxing but there is a very good HW amateur in Canada, Adrian Diaconu, who could very soon become a good pro contender. He too is East European (like Klitschko), he's from Romania.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Golota is scheduled to fight Przemyslaw Saleta, 42-6-0, 21 KO's, on the Rahman-Barrett undercard.

As for Botha, he may be retired. He hasn't fought since 2002, as far as I know.

See http://www.boxrec.com for this type of info.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
hollywoodnorth: memo from everyone: learn how to post correctly, which means using the edit button instead of using up a whole page with your 1 or 2 line posts.

kevin

Guru
Botha is fighting in k1 kickboxing. He statred out slow but he did very well recently. He looks like he could have a future in it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Well, white men won't be dominating the junior welterweight division anytime soon.

As much as I hate to say it, Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter. He punished Arturo Gatti last night, it was so bad it was even hard to watch. Mayweather's hands were so fast Gatti couldn't even raise a glove or move his head to avoid his punches.

My heart went out to Gatti. It was a sad display.

Mayweather surprised me after the fight. He was very gracious, gave Gatti a lot of credit, and said he thought Gatti would be champion again some day.

White Shogun said:
Well, white men won't be dominating the junior welterweight division anytime soon.

As much as I hate to say it, Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter. He punished Arturo Gatti last night, it was so bad it was even hard to watch. Mayweather's hands were so fast Gatti couldn't even raise a glove or move his head to avoid his punches.

Mayweather surprised me after the fight. He was very gracious, gave Gatti a lot of credit, and said he thought Gatti would be champion again some day.

Floyd Mayweather is a good fighter but Ricky Hatton would beat him and knock him out.Ricky Hatton is the wrong style for him.mayweather would lose this fight.they will be fighting in MSG sometime later this year.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Onewarrior... I don't think Ricky Hatton will beat Floyd Mayweather, either. I would expect more of the same as the Gatti fight. Can you explain what you mean by Hatton being the wrong style for Mayweather?

For the record, I don't think Miguel Cotto will beat Mayweather, either.

Kaptain

Master
WS, I'm gonna have to disagree. I know Mayweather is a great fighter but Hatton just thumped Kosta who was considered the best pound for pound. He's undeafeated and has defended his title 16 or 17 times. Here's a link with some video clips of Hatton in action that might change your mind:

Watch the quick feet, smothering style, and constant power punching. I think the a fight with Mayweather may look like Duran vs. Leonard #1.

http://www.rickyhitmanhatton.com/index2.php

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Poop, I can't get the videos to play, something about a Dynamic Link Library illegal operation, lol.

I'll work on the Media Player tomorrow and see what I can do.

I hope you're right about Hatton, though. I really, really, do. I just don't want it to be wishful thinking again.
smiley19.gif

I honestly didn't think Gatti had much of a chance but hoped against hope he would catch Pretty Boy in the late rounds. But he never made it that far..

G

White Shogun said:

Why should'nt Floyd be gracious his thrashtalking was a tactic to sell the fight it worked . Did'nt you buy the PPV hoping to see Floyds mouth shut ?. Floyd did his job in and out of the ring. Boxing marketing 101

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Why should'nt Floyd be gracious his thrashtalking was a tactic to sell the fight it worked . Did'nt you buy the PPV hoping to see Floyds mouth shut ?. Floyd did his job in and out of the ring. Boxing marketing 101

I disliked Floyd Mayweather long before he trashtalked Arturo Gatti. The only reason I watched the fight was because of Gatti, not Mayweather. Mayweather needs to graduate from Boxing 101 and take another class, because his attitude, braggadacio, and trash talking are keeping fans away, not luring them in.

Arturo Gatti's heart and chin sold this fight, not Mayweather's trash talking. I wouldn't purchase a PPV just to watch Mayweather fight, and neither would most boxing fans. This is something that HBO already knows, too. But maybe they skipped Boxing 101?

I wouldn't purchase a Mayweather-Cotto fight, a Mayweather-Harris fight, or a Mayweather-Maussa fight, no matter how much trash Mayweather spewed. I would pay to see Mayweather-Hatton, though, for a number of reasons, one of which is because he is white.

Hate to cut this short, but I gotta run. I'm late for my Promoting Boxing 101 class.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

G

White Shogun said:

I disliked Floyd Mayweather long before he trashtalked Arturo Gatti. The only reason I watched the fight was because of Gatti, not Mayweather. Mayweather needs to graduate from Boxing 101 and take another class, because his attitude, braggadacio, and trash talking are keeping fans away, not luring them in.

Arturo Gatti's heart and chin sold this fight, not Mayweather's trash talking. I wouldn't purchase a PPV just to watch Mayweather fight, and neither would most boxing fans. This is something that HBO already knows, too. But maybe they skipped Boxing 101?

I wouldn't purchase a Mayweather-Cotto fight, a Mayweather-Harris fight, or a Mayweather-Maussa fight, no matter how much trash Mayweather spewed. I would pay to see Mayweather-Hatton, though, for a number of reasons, one of which is because he is white.

Hate to cut this short, but I gotta run. I'm late for my Promoting Boxing 101 class.
smiley36.gif
Mayweather is a tough sell . But now that he got his exposure asswhipping an outclassed Gatti Mayweather can grow from that.

Is Mayweather the PPV machine that Gatti is No. But he has put his name out there and has firmly put himself forward as at least no 2 P4P Hopkins stays 1 in my book until the results of the Taylor fight.

Mayweather can grow from the Gatti fight . Gatti was once again destroyed once he fought an elite fighter he did'nt have a 20 pnd advantage over.

Sean

Mentor
Hatton would beat Floyd IMO.

Mayweather has fast hands, and decent power, but has never really been hit by a really powerful shot.

Hatton has good style, and very good stamina, especially against Tszyu. Beating Kostya the way he did makes me believe he is the man at 140. He throws a lot of punches, and wouldn't just stand there like Gatti. He could take Floyds shots, (he took Tszyu's who hits harder).

I think stamina would be the difference.

G

Sean said:
Hatton would beat Floyd IMO.

Mayweather has fast hands, and decent power, but has never really been hit by a really powerful shot.

Hatton has good style, and very good stamina, especially against Tszyu. Beating Kostya the way he did makes me believe he is the man at 140. He throws a lot of punches, and wouldn't just stand there like Gatti. He could take Floyds shots, (he took Tszyu's who hits harder).

I think stamina would be the difference.
When has Floyd ever had stamina problems ?

Hatton is the man at the moment since he did beat Kosta but i think Floyd beats him when they fight.