White Athletic Advantage: Height

http://www.halls.md/chart/men-height-w.htm

this website shows the different heights according to ethnic affiliation.....

This relates directlyto football beacuse there seems to be a belief in America that Blacks are taller then Whites giving them an advantage... This is just not true....

However it does appear that Hispanics and "others" are significantly smaller, on average.

The average white person is taller according to these charts

(you must click on the links to view the hights of other races)

The Duke

I think you're right that most people think blacks are taller than whites. That belief comes in large part from the media, where blacks in commercials are often taller than all the whites. And from all the publicity given black athletes, who are usually taller than the average person.

JGNYC

This chart can't be right...blacks are taller on average than whites, and whites taller than Asians.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If I read it correctly, the average white man is 5-10 while the average black man is 5-9 1/2. That sounds believable to me. Black height seems to be a taboo subject as it is never mentioned in the establishment media. The height of black Africans -- Watusis and Pygmies, etc. -- is often mentioned but not that of American blacks.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Yeah, looks like Europeans are a couple inches taller by far. The Dutch AVERAGE 6'0, so they will obviously have a lot more people who are even taller than that.

I didn't think too much though of the height difference between non-Hispanic whites and blacks in the USA. It was only a .2 inch difference. But the thought occured to me after comparing US heights with the African countries shown, if black height in the USA aren't higher than their African counterparts because of inbreeding with whites here in the USA. Your thoughts?

*non-Hispanic white males avg height in USA - 5'10.2"
*non-Hispanic black males avg height in USA - 5'10"Edited by: White Shogun

The Dutch are indeed the world's tallest, on average: http://
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5486446/

6'1" average height for the Dutch.

Don't be surprised if someone chimes in with info on isolated African
tribes, with each man built like a Preying Mantis and standing 6'8". But
those "tribes" are very small groups of people.

Much of the belief that blacks are taller on average comes from the
televised NBA, where the average lemming sees gangs of roving 6'8"
congoids.

G

I'd say that some of the stereotyping of American Blacks as being taller than Whites is in part a result of broader variance in sub-Saharan African phenotypes.

I've observed some pretty extreme variety in American Blacks' height anecdotally, while Whites and especially Orientalid peoples tend to display far less varied heights. The tallest non-pathological (not including individuals with obvious medical condictions, ie acromegaly, etc) individual man and woman I can recall observing in person were both Blacks...also, I've seen more than a handful of curiously short American Blacks (not Dwarves.) Common variance in height among Blacks seems to be in the order of >0.5m. Asian people seem to all fall within less than a foot in height of one another.

People tend to notice only the tallest members of a group, most especially when the group (and the height) is remarkable to them.Edited by: JerveyGotGypped

My damm teacher told the whole class today that blacks are taller then whites....This guy has a PHD. Rediculous.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i hope you corrected him... there's nothing i enjoyed more than proving my teachers wrong
smiley1.gif

If I recall correctly, blacks are somewhat likelier to be over 6' than whites; whether the difference is statistically significant I don't know.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Cassio, go back to the very first post in this thread. Follow the link. It discusses exactly what you are talking about, and no, blacks are not somewhat liklier to be over 6' than whites.

Odd; perhaps (as was suggested) the greater variation among blacks accounts for the difference in average.