Where Men Win Glory

Nearing 3/4 way on the Pat Tillman book by Jon Krakauer (Into the Wild, Into Thin Air). So, Pat's football days are well past, and here are some cast highlights.

He was a do-everything player in one of California's best high school divisions, but only in-state offer was from San Jose State. Chose Arizona State over BYU. Author makes not of his slow 40 time of 4.55, comparing it to those of Deion Sanders and Randy Moss. Well, they'll make anyone look bad, and I bet 4.55 is the standard time for D1 linebacker recruits, which is what Tillman was in hs and college.

Tillman was a defensive star on some of ASU's best-ever teams, the D equivalent of Jake Plummer for them. He dominated head-to-head Ahman Green and Nebraska. He was a standout in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State. Didn't get invited to combine, but local team took a chance on him in I think the sixth round.

Was projected as "special teams demon" with the Cardinals, but was too good and started his very first game. But in second season, Vince Tobin benched Pat and told him he didn't think he oculd play in the league. Funny, because it's mentioned how Jerry Rice went out of his way after a game to tell Tillman how good he was. Third year -- he made Dr. Z's all-league team with SI, Zimmerman said he watched every play of Tillman's season and it was totally off the hook.

Cardinals screwed him salary-wise his whole career, of course Tillman passed up better deals. He did the same thing in the Army, when his agent found a clause that could get him out early, as a combat vet, and had multiple offers waiting. He didn't take it ...

Westside

Hall of Famer
It takes a special man to volunteer for the Rangers, make it and then seek combat, especially against formidable fighters in Afganastan. We understand now that his death was caused by friendly fire. But to be "in country" actively seeking and engaging the enemy on their turf says alot about his courage and love for country.

Just think if any of these affelets would give up their "living large" life styles and join the armed services. No how, and no way.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
excellent post, GreatLakeState, but i will question one thing about it ...
i doubt that20% of Division I linebackers run a 4.55 or better. and i'm being incredibly generous with that fraction, i suspect. especially when you consider the average 40 times of the NFL Combine.

Probably right.