What is this supposed to mean?

Sharpie97

"He's a football player," coach Dick Vermeil told the Kansas City Star. "He's not built the way you want to be built. He's not as fast as you would like. But he plays the game real well, and he made some plays."
Thats Dick Vermeil talking about his own WR Chris Horn. Never the less he's competing for the 2nd WR spot for the 2005 season. I'm a little confused. Edited by: Sharpie97

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's Vermeilspeak for "he's white." So ridiculous, too. I imagineHorn has at least average speed for an NFL wide receiver, and as for his "build," I doubt it's anything to be ashamed of. It's too bad we live in a country where Vermeil can't just say "he's a football player" without adding the (racist) qualifiers.

surfsider

Guru
Don I was just getting ready to say almost the exact same thing. We've had to put with vermeilspeak here in KC for too long. As soon as he starts to say something that might be construed as praise about a white player--watch out, that poor schmuck's playing days are probably numbered.

Sharpie97

An Arena League veteran with Arizona. "He's a very competitive kid, quick as (heck)," head coach Dick Vermeil said. "He can catch the ball, he can return it. He could very well be an extension of our guy, Dante Hall."
That's a quote from Dick "The Dick" vermeil. IF Chris Horn is "quick as HECK", then why did he say he didn't have the BODY or the SPEED?. Now i am really confused. I thought "quick as HECK" was a black attribute.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Chris Horn is a great athlete.Vermeil just has trouble
seeing a white athlete as fast and elusive.He can sugar
coat it all he wants,we know how he feels.I wonder what
he would say about Matt Jones.How do so many scouts,
coaches, and people in general learn to hate their own
race so much.They don't give them half a chance.This has
to change and that's why we are here!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just dug up this article about Horn from his days dominating the Arena League. The sub-heading has the typical anti-white racist slant -- "Chris Horn admits he probably doesn't intimidate very many people." Whydoes that have to be inthere? You never, ever read that about a black receiver, or about a black athlete period. It's reminiscentof the standard line announcers love to say about whites: "He's not much of an athlete. . ." blah, blah, blah.

This article says Horn runs a 4.55 40 which is about middle of the pack for an NFL receiver. He may be faster since this was writtenas the article says he is working to increase his speed, and we know40 times aremisused a lot anyway. I like the quote from Horn: "I guess I don't have flat-out speed. I feel I have game speed. In a game, I run away from people, It's a matter of getting noticed." You can bet there are many other white receivers out there just as good if not better. Most NFL wide receivers should be white. Horn had to play at little Rocky Mountain College.

http://www.billingsgazette.com/sports/20000623_s4bolts.html

Sharpie97

Maybe that's The Rocky Mountain Horror Show.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It is mind boggling the extent to which whites go to denigrate other whites. The main reason I believe they do it is because it is the only off the field criticism allowed to be dished out to players in this politically correct society. Even when a black player gets convicted of a crime, the white coach will only comment, we'll have to evaluate the situation and determine how so and so will continue to be a part of our program, or some such BS. You never hear them say that about a white guy.

Whites aren't given a second chance, or really even a first. As soon as they do one thing wrong, on or off the field, they are gone. It's like most coaches are just waiting for an excuse to can a white guy just to get him off their team. It's almost like they see some unknown force that is pressuring them to have or start some white players, but since they love blacks so much, they will take advantage of every chance to get a white guy off the team. This ties into the argument about coaches blindly and mistakenly thinking they need all black players to compete.