what’s up with asians

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don hit it on the head. You just have to look at baseball where guys like Sizemore and Martin are trumpeted as "black " stars in baseball. It's totally laughable to me.

blue_mentos

Van_Slyke_CF, wow. im a bit offended. im not trying to pick a fight or anything, but im japanese. i was born and raised in japan, and though i currently live in the states, i visit my relatives often, and keep up with the happenings of the country. so in all, im glad that youve spent 13 years there, but to telll someone that has spent their whole life as a japanese citizen and is ingulfed in their culture that they don't know what they are talking about is a bit arrogant. yes, the major colleges in japan have athletics, but if you put it in perspective, it would the same as if only D1 schools in america had athletics. if that were the case, one would be right to make the statement 'most colleges in america dont have athletics' because the majority of schools in the states are d2, d3, naia, or part of a private christian organization. thats probably the ball-park figure that japan is in right now.

high school and college championships are a very big deal like you mentioned and the national pride of the people is very high which is why i claimed that i think there is a big pot of potential that if ignited could produce many world class athletes.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
blue_mentos said:
Van_Slyke_CF, wow. im a bit offended. im not trying to pick a fight or anything, but im japanese. i was born and raised in japan, and though i currently live in the states, i visit my relatives often, and keep up with the happenings of the country. so in all, im glad that youve spent 13 years there, but to telll someone that has spent their whole life as a japanese citizen and is ingulfed in their culture that they don't know what they are talking about is a bit arrogant. yes, the major colleges in japan have athletics, but if you put it in perspective, it would the same as if only D1 schools in america had athletics. if that were the case, one would be right to make the statement 'most colleges in america dont have athletics' because the majority of schools in the states are d2, d3, naia, or part of a private christian organization. thats probably the ball-park  figure that japan is in right now. high school and college championships are a very big deal like you mentioned and the national pride of the people is very high which is why i claimed that i think there is a big pot of potential that if ignited could produce many world class athletes.

Blue Mentos:

Whether you were born and raised here or not is not really the point, nor is the fact that you say you are a Japanese citizen and "ingulfed" in the culture really relevant, either.

I simply responded to your incorrect assertion that,"however, there isnt as much open-participation in organized sports like there is in america. for instance, almost no college in japan has athletics. they focus purely on academics."

If you feel offended, then maybe it`s because you assumed too much about the people participating in this site. Do you believe that some gaijin like me can`t have a greater understanding of something Japanese then a member of the "We Japanese"?

Regarding sports, for example, I guarantee you that on average more foreigners around my age living in Japan have a greater interest and understanding of your national sport, sumo, than their Japanese counterparts.

Conversely, I`m never surprised when I meet a Japanese who has great knowledge of an American sport like basketball, and it goes without saying that millions of Japanese have great passion and keen knowledge of baseball.

Incidentally, your example above of trying to compare athletics in the U.S. and Japan really makes no sense, IMHO, and this should be apparent to you by looking at something so elemental as the demographics of the situation. To put it simply, you seem to believe that there is some untapped reservoir of talented young Japanese athletes who just need more opportunities to dream and play, but are being held back for various reasons.

From my vantage point here, the opposite is true. The lack of young Japanese because of a declining birthrate in recent decades, combined with various social issues related to the ever-increasing urbanization of the population among others, is resulting in a much smaller pool of available athletic talent these days, not more.

This shows up nowadays in decreasing depth in Japanese pro baseball as more and more young people have switched to soccer, for example. Japanese participation in sumo and many martial arts-with perhaps the notable exception of judo-is really sad in recent years. Rugby in Japan is a joke, and it is getting worse because of the lack of young people and because some young people prefer American football now. The list goes on and on.

By the way, I do admire the accomplishments of Asahara and Suetsugu-just as I admired the career of Koji Ito. The guys on this site want to see the same opportunities for white runners in America and elsewhere.

Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

blue_mentos

i never stated that i had superior knowledge of the subject, and i never said anything about a gaijin knowing nothing of japanese sport. you may have more knowledge of the subject than i, which is fine. my point is, that you made me out to be an idiot saying i had no idea what japan is or is like and i have no idea what im talking about which is a bit offensive because im a native and i do know.

" is wrong, and you should study more about the country before commenting on it again, IMHO."

"Whatever made you think this? Try again."

that is why i felt it necessary to explain my nationality, although you felt it was irrelevent.

my statements came from my opportunity to go through the sport programs in japan, and then also here in america, and getting to know them both through participation as well as observation. those are the conclusions i came to. the american sporting world as well as the athletes mental thought process seemed very very different to me when i came here. i do not see how that is ridiculous.

"your example above of trying to compare athletics in the U.S. and Japan
really makes no sense, IMHO, and this should be apparent to you by
looking at something so elemental as the demographics of the situation"

please explain why. i really am not trying to 1 up you on anything, im just trying to see where you are coming from.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
My quote:

"your example above of trying to compare athletics in the U.S. and Japan really makes no sense, IMHO, and this should be apparent to you by looking at something so elemental as the demographics of the situation"

Your comment:

please explain why. i really am not trying to 1 up you on anything, im just trying to see where you are coming from.

My answer: I already did. Read my post again.

My whole problem with you stems from the fact that, in the original post in question, you stated some things that led me to believe that you most definitely are not Japanese. If you are, you should have known better about some of the issues here related to sports, IMHO, and this is all that I`m trying to point out.

Your quote:

"saying i had no idea what japan is or is like and i have no idea what im talking about which is a bit offensive because im a native and i do know."

My answer:

You may know some things, but you can also be wrong about others. Just because you have Japanese blood running through your veins, does not automatically mean you are an expert about all things "Japanese," any more than I know about all things "American."

Your quote:

"my statements came from my opportunity to go through the sport programs in japan, and then also here in america, and getting to know them both through participation as well as observation. those are the conclusions i came to. the american sporting world as well as the athletes mental thought process seemed very very different to me when i came here."

My answer:

If you want to get into differences concerning mental aspects/approaches to sports in the U.S. and Japan, I`m sure you could make some very interesting points from your experiences in both countries.

Even though we obviously don`t see eye-to-eye on a number of things here, I`d like to say thanks for the discussion. I don`t want to get into a long-running debate on this thread, so I`ll let you have the last word.Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

blue_mentos

"Just because you have Japanese blood running through your veins, does
not automatically mean you are an expert about all things "Japanese,"

again. not claiming i do. im just throwing in my two cents on the discussion. my problem with your statements is that you seem to think that there is no possible way anything i say can be possible. my thoughts come from discussions with my friends and family in japan in combination of what ive experienced here and there. for the most part we are not talking mathematics and one can't point to the correct equation so i do not see how either opinion can be correct or incorrect, in the same way that democrats or republicans cannot be 'correct'.

everything you have pointed out, such as the smaller pool of talent and decreasing birth rates, i am well aware of. its just that we come to different conclusions from these facts. you are right in saying that we may not see eye-to-eye, but i do respect your opinions and your passion of following the games there, and i only want the same in return.

guest301

Hall of Famer
blue_mentos said:
"Just because you have Japanese blood running through your veins, does
not automatically mean you are an expert about all things "Japanese,"again. not claiming i do. im just throwing in my two cents on the discussion. my problem with your statements is that you seem to think that there is no possible way anything i say can be possible. my thoughts come from discussions with my friends and family in japan in combination of what ive experienced here and there. for the most part we are not talking mathematics and one can't point to the correct equation so i do not see how either opinion can be correct or incorrect, in the same way that democrats or republicans cannot be 'correct'.everything you have pointed out, such as the smaller pool of talent and decreasing birth rates, i am well aware of. its just that we come to different conclusions from these facts. you are right in saying that we may not see eye-to-eye, but i do respect your opinions and your passion of following the games there, and i only want the same in return.

Fairly stated Blue-Mentos and you should get the same respect in return. Keep posting.

blue_mentos

Thank you guest. for the last few years i have thought about the negative stereotypes that are thrown towards whites and asians particularly in football, basketball and track, and found myself diligently rooting for white rbs, wrs, and sprinters. when i found this site last year, i was extremely pleased to know that there was an actual community that was built for the promotion of equality in all aspects of life, including those that our society tries to ignore. i hope that if nothing else i can help root for these "underdogs" and spread awareness of the prejudices that often get overlooked by the general public or the 'drunken white fans' as many describe them on this board
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
blue_mentos said:
Thank you guest. for the last few years i have thought about the negative stereotypes that are thrown towards whites and asians particularly in football, basketball and track, and found myself diligently rooting for white rbs, wrs, and sprinters. when i found this site last year, i was extremely pleased to know that there was an actual community that was built for the promotion of equality in all aspects of life, including those that our society tries to ignore. i hope that if nothing else i can help root for these "underdogs" and spread awareness of the prejudices that often get overlooked by the general public or the 'drunken white fans' as many describe them on this board 
smiley36.gif

This question gets asked here from time to time. How did you stumble on to this site? I think I was yahooing white sprinters and white running backs or something and found this unique site a few years ago. How did you come across it? Alot of us are one here for the exact same reason you are, so keep up the good posts.

blue_mentos

yea i think i was looking for the number of white running backs on ncaa or nfl rosters or something of the sort. i think it was kyle bell a couple years ago that got me wondering and i did a search and came upon the site.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Blue Mentos, I think there may be some truth to what both you and Van Slyke are saying. Sometimes they say the answer often lies in between two people that see a situation very differently.

I think some of Van Slyke's problem with your post was how you said "most" colleges in Japan don't have athletics when you should have said the smaller colleges or "some" colleges don't have athletics.

However, I do sense much truth to the fact that Americans are the biggest dreamers in the world. That is part of why this is called the land of opportunity. In many other cultures people seem to be less accustomed to taking risks than in America. I definitely sense a difference on this issue between America and Canada which I am a native of.

I am actually a dual citizen of America and Canada, but lived in Canada until last summer. I am actually planning on moving back in a couple years, I don't like Jersey much. This is where my father is originally from and I am living with my cousin right now. I moved b/c I got a fairly high paying job down here.

Now, I will tell you that I found this site doing a search for white RBs after I was completely shocked by Canadian Jesse Lumsden's snubbing by the NFL. Lumsden was such a household name in Ontario that I heard other Canadians mention or agree with me that Lumsden didn't get a shot simply b/c he's white and worse a white "foreigner" RB.

Stereotyping and racial consciousness is rampant in this country and ESPN/ Yahooligan Rivals and drunken white fans are the worst offenders followed by the black RBs and CBs who feel insulted to play behind a white man b/c of these stereotypes.

Unfortunately American society is too dumbed down to even begin to question Rivals wacko recruiting site, by far the worst of the bunch or ESPN's specious reasoning on negative analysis of white athletes even when their measurements and play say otherwise.