what’s up with asians

waterbed

Mentor
I checked men toplist at iaaf and have all WR 's running except of 1500/1600 meters are held by blacks.
also high jump and long jump.
Whites have WR's in pole vault,Discus,Shot Put,Javelin throw ,Triple jump,hammer throwand if you call arabs white also 1500 and 1600 meters ive you consider Arabs White and nearly WR's in 400 meters, high jump,long jump.Asians(i mean mongoloids east asian who are 60% of world population)men have no world records only nearly 110 meter hurdles respectable in 100 and 200 meter.nr 5 in hammer throw but he is half white.In the other events they are not even in the top 100.

I know that they are on average not as tall and masculair like black and whites but how can you perform like this with so big population?

waterbed

Mentor
I have been driking and bad English.But I hope you guys understand the post
smiley36.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
East Asians may be made more for finesse or tactical sports. They are good in sports where strategy, finesse and quickness are important, but size/ brute strength and blazing speed are less important. Example: Asians are good at Gymnastics, French Open in Tennis (finesse and quickness) Ping Pong, Martial Arts (more the lower weight classes) or Poker if you could call that a sport
smiley36.gif
. Asians also seem good most of the time in sports where spacial cognition is important ie. Darts, Archery, Pitcher in baseball etc.

We are all made differently and sometimes we have to accept this...I just get aggravated with the sweeping generalizations of an entire group of people no matter how well they do or how well they perform on the field or in agility drills. Whites are maligned athletically (stiff, slow, mechanical) without any viable proof we can't be RBs in the NFL.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Asians can also hang in swimming and diving events. And don't forget Manny Pacquiao, the lightweight boxing champion and, arguably, the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing today.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
If you check the same IAAF stat board you'll see that in recent years several Japanese runners have run competitive with, or, in the case of Nobuharu Asara and Shingo Suetsugu, superior times to many of the very best white runners over 100 meters.Edited by: GiovaniMarcon

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Suetsugu won a medal at the world champs several years ago in the 200 meters. Shingo and Nobuharu have been outstanding for a long time. The only knock that most have said is that the majority of the time, they don't run as fast outside of Japan. Regardless, they have both had excellent careers. Japan has always had good sprinters. China has lagged behind but I belive the sport is growing in popularity now and they will eventually be more competetive in the future.

mastermulti

Master
you're right of course Giovani,

these two guys have spent some time here in our Aussie summers over
the years and I've seen them run off season.
Bearing "off-season" in mind, I have often thought what very good
sprinters they are.
Certainly Asahara is extremely talented when on song; not a world leader
but certainly in the next group down... a good long jumper too. Well-
muscled but with those short legs that often define Japanese runners.

A few seasons back I remember them having 5 guys under 20.70 for the
200 in one season which compares well with pretty much everyone bar
the U.S.
And didn't they run about 38 dead in the 4x100 in last world champs?

blue_mentos

i think the physical potential is there, the main problem lies with the way most asians' minds work. ill speak from the japanese point of view. from a very young age, children are raised to be successful, honor their family, be humble, and not live with shame. because of this, the majority of the kids focus on excelling in school work and try to earn a high status the "normal way". in america, kids are taught to dream. for instance a youngster who is a very talented guitarist might say he wants to start a band and get famous, not go the usual college route but instead pursue his dream of being signed. another child may focus on his athletic skills, and spend all his hours after school training because his dream is to become a professional athlete. these things more than likely are looked up on by the american society because it is one born of dreamers that wanted something more. however, in japan these things would be viewed as 'unrealistic' or too risky to end in complete failure (being a bum on the side of a street).

there are the ones that are born as athletic freaks, and their parents push them to be their best at their talent. once one of these children find their talent they will train and push and strive to be their best resulting in athletes like ichiro, suetsugu, shunsuke nakamura. however, there isnt as much open-participation in organized sports like there is in america. for instance, almost no college in japan has athletics. they focus purely on academics. in this way after high school, many children need to choose, am i good enough to turn pro now? or should i quit my sporting ambitions and go into the workforce? there really is no in-between process of letting your body develop more.

the athletic ability is there. physical education is taken very seriously. children must pass certain tests in PE just as they would in math or history. for example, leapfrogging a certain amount of stacked gymnastic blocks to pass the first grade, being able to do 10 chin ups, and swim 50 meters free-style to pass second grade, and so on. (some exceptions are made)

the national media is there. whenever japan won that first world baseball championship thing a few years ago (anyone remember?) the country went crazy. when the soccer team advanced into the knockout stages in the 2002 world cup, or when suetsugu medaled, it was a huge huge deal. the main problem is that most children are suppressed by this idea built into them from feudal age society that doesn't allow them to dream. they instead try to be the very best at things they can 'control'. if more would develop the mindset like the ones i previously mentioned i know that japan, for one, would produce more world-class athletes in all sporting events.

sorry for the long ramble, but i thought i would throw in my insight as i have personal ties and experiences that i dont think others here would have.

mastermulti

Master
good rant BM.

I'm hoping things are changing in Japan.
We've had the pleasure of having 2 Japanese homestay students over the
last few years and both were really open minded and curious as to what
other people do,eat,think,etc.
I found them so inspiring with their enthusiasm and so willing to learn
and participate in whatever was going on.
I also know a Japanese man who has just got Australian citizenship
because the lifestyle here suits him. He surfs as a hobby and makes
leadlight windows for a living.
Our students also joked that they didn't take their academic schooling as
seriously as the Chinese do. One of them would have loved to have a go
at rugby while here but saw the size of similar aged Aussie kids and
thought the better of it.

What was hilarious though was when he saw me on an oval in summer,
bare-chested and doing run-throughs..... he thought it really amusing
and said the police in Japan would have approached me to see if I was a
nut.. so things ARE different.

But I guess my point is that many of them are willing to embrace different
things and break out of the mold. There sure enough is a load of talent in
Japan ready to surface. Combine that with their discipline and work ethic
and they'll get results.
Edited by: mastermulti

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Manny Pacquiao is East Asian? I didn't know that. Yeah Asians can hang in the lower weight classes of boxing and swimming too; I agree Liverlips. It's interesting how the races are all a little different. I am just sick of the excessive negative stereotyping and hate on whites in America, which is why I am on this site. I am not here to negatively stereotype other races. I am here to end all types of just that and defend Caucasians from the "Rivals" Media hate and other groups taking advantage of unfair policies in their favor.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Blue Mentos wrote:

"for instance, almost no college in japan has athletics. they focus purely on academics."

This is not true at all. I`ve lived a total of 13 years here in Japan. Baseball, Rugby, Soccer and various other sports are a big deal at Japanese universities, especially at the most prestigious schools. For example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_6_Universities

"The Tokyo 6 universities (-|¾©ÃÂù´óѧ,T¨­ky¨­ roku daigaku) are prominent universities that are located in the metropolis and prefecture of Tokyo: Tokyo, Waseda, Keio, Hosei, Meiji, and Rikkyo (St Paul's). The term originates from the baseball league the six universities are a part of (Tokyo Big6 Baseball League, -|¾©ÃÂù´óѧҰÇòßBÃË T¨­ky¨­ roku daigaku yaky¨± renmei)."

"With the exception of Tokyo University, which is a national university (financed by government and more recently corporate cooperatives), all are heavily financed private institutions. The public status of Tokyo University prohibits the offering of athletic scholarships to students in most cases, unlike the other five which permit students to receive scholarships to enroll and join a team. Some of the universities accept students on the strength of their athletic prowess alone. Waseda, Keio and Hosei usually have especially strong athletic teams, from which many are often recruited into professional sports teams."

And this is just about some of the most famous schools.

Do they have anything at the college level similar to our NCAA basketball and football? No, of course not, but to say that "almost no college in Japan has athletics" is wrong, and you should study more about the country before commenting on it again, IMHO.

Blue Mentos wrote:

"sorry for the long ramble, but i thought i would throw in my insight as i have personal ties and experiences that i dont think others here would have."

Whatever made you think this? Try again.
Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

guest301

Hall of Famer
Blue Mentos is new here and gave us the benefit of his personal insight of his experiences and knowledge of Japan just as you did Van Slyke. There is no reason to come down so hard on him just because he might have got a few details wrong. Alot of what Blue Mentos mentioned about the cultural differences in Japan certainly rang true to me even if he was wrong about the college athletic programs in Japan. We need to give the newbies a break, we want them to stick around don't we.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Guest301: Actually, I find quite a lot more wrong with his post, but I was trying to LIMIT my criticisms.

However, I`ll try not to be so hard from now on.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Ok. That's good to know. I am no moderator here and was just giving what I hope was some constuctive criticism. Nothing personal. I think the big picture of growing the site is more important than a difference of opinion on college athletics in Japan, however right you may very well be.
smiley2.gif
You lived there 13 years and so I assume that you know what you are talking about.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Guest 301:

"I think the big picture of growing the site is more important than a difference of opinion on college athletics in Japan"

I agree, but I also think it is important for people to be factual and/or to have informed opinions when they talk about sports or anything else on this site.

When some post on their particular area of interest and/or expertise-like Colonel Reb with college football-they hold others accountable for errors they read in their posts. I learned quickly that this can be a hard site for newbies because we are talking about many difficult topics. This is good for CF. Good night.Edited by: Van_Slyke_CF

guest301

Hall of Famer
No problem. You are right, this site can definitely be hard on newbies and because of that maybe we should cut them some slack for errors that we wouldn't let veteran posters get away with. I'm not talking about the trolling newbies, just the ones that are clearly on our side. Your other points are well taken.
smiley16.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Clay looks more Japanese than black. I still will be rooting more for Pappas and Seberle than Clay.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I heard that Clay is a decent guy, but the road to the Olympics is paved with decent guys who never get in front of the camera. I remember back in 2004 Pappas made the cover of a fitness magazine (can't remember the name, sorry) and they called him "The Perfect Athlete" -- the ideal combination of height, weight, strength, speed and agility.

I won't comment on "perfect" but for a white man to be described as such still amazed me.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I guess Roman Seberle owns that title of "the perfect athlete" now. Whoever wins the gold medal this year in the decathlon deserves the title of the worlds greatest athlete. Pappas is a amazing athlete but the years and injuries are starting to catch up with him.

white is right

Hall of Famer
GiovaniMarcon said:
Let's not forget also that Olympian Bryan Clay is half Japanese, though of course the media says he's black as per the 1 drop rule.
Clay is black? I have seen his kids and they look half White half East Asian. So are his Eurasian looking kids black too? This PC definition of black is weird beyond belief.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's the stupid one drop rule which applies exclusively to blacks in our country. Clay doesn't look black to me.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The reason the power structure maintains the one-drop rule, which is a throwback to segregation and a time when the U.S. was a pro-white country, is because mixed-race "blacks" achieve in various fields at a higher rate than full-blooded Negroes. The more "blacks" the system can point to as successes, the easier it is for whites andothers to buy into the infantile "we're all exactly the same except for our skin color" nonsense.