Weekend - Playoff’s

Bart

Hall of Famer
Anybody want to throw in their two cents?

Pats- Jacksonville -- Can the Jags D keep em in the game? Is Del Rio stupid for starting a rusty Leftwich over Garrad who was playing fairly well? Can the Pats who have resembled a mash unit rise up? It should be too cold for the Florida boys, so I will go with Brady's team.

Pittsburgh and Cinci should be good. If Pittsburgh was at home I'd give em the nod, but I think the Bungles have a little too much going for them this year, even though they've slowed a little. I like Big Ben but Carson has been awesome. I'm taking the Cats.

Carolina- Giants I hate to go against the Giants at home in the cold but I think the Cougars will shut down Tiki and put too much pressure on Eli. If Jake doesn't turn the ball over I think they will win. I'm taking the Cougars.

Bucs- Redskins -- Since I don't like what Gibbs has been trying to do with NASCAR, I'm going with Tampa, even though I like Brunell. That's all the reason I need.

Spooge

Guru
I want the Bucs to win. Alstot and Simms. I don't
like Gibb's pre Alzhiemers and his mental disability which has
caused him to forget all the great white players that helped win the
big ones. Carolina has the ultimate big game player in
Phroel. I like Hoover and Delhome is a good quarterback. I
will take the Panthers over Giants. I must go with Cower for
finally pulling his Caste head out the the Systems' anus and going with
a very good white quarterback, so the nod is to Pittsburg. The
Jaguars will go down with a whole bunch of turnovers. Leftwich in
the game seals the deal. Tom (Quick) Brady will defeat the
Jag(offs)uars.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The far and away best Caste System moment in the Tampa-Washington game came when Redskins safety Sean Taylor was ejected. He was given a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul but the announcers became enraged when the replay appeared to show Michael Pittman pushing Taylor, who didn't defend himself but was still flagged and thrown out of the game.

However, it turned out that Mr. Pittman (arrested multiple times for domestic assault) was merely reacting to being spit upon by Mr. Taylor (arrested multiple times over the past two seasons, including felony charges for firing a gun at people). Only in the NFL, and NBA. . .
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Don Wassall

guest301

Hall of Famer
I will be rooting for the patriots tonight because of guys like vrabel, brady, dwight and evans..however..lets hope athletic freak matt jones has a breakout game on the national stage tonight..If the jags win...lets hope it's largely because of jones!!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Funny, neither of those two were mentioned in that article you posted earlier, Don. How 'bout that?
smiley2.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wow! Sweet grab by Matt Jones on a run across the middle. Leftwich threw a bullet and the ball just disappeared into Jones' arms. I couldn't tell if it was caught, went straight by or what. But it was a catch, full speed, in stride, just snatched the ball out of the air.

Did you see the stat on Leftwich in the 3rd quarter? Highest passer rating in 14 years, a 137! But thats only in the 3rd quarter, lol. Who comes up with this stuff??

guest301

Hall of Famer
If there is any black quaterback i admire and root for it is leftwich. He is tough and he succeeds playing the role of the traditional white pocket passing quarterback.He plays against type..I will root for anybody who succeeds against stereotype...He does need to throw to jones more...he's freaky tall and fast with great hands...no reason he shouldn't be one of the greatest eventually..Well I forgot, there is a reason, the caste system!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I notice though that Leftwich and Steve McNair are always called "tough," while white quarterbacks who are constantly getting injured are referred to simply as "injury prone."

And on a happy note, Jack Del Rio's Nairobi Jaguars, who only started 21 blacks tonight, are getting routed by New England. During the offseason Del Rio should convert Matt Jones to a tight end/long snapper and purge the few other white players from the roster.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Leftwich is very unorthodox. It takes him forever to uncork the ball. His mid range passes are pretty accurate but he is about as unathletic as they come. Garrard posed a few more problems for the Pats while he was in the game.

Tom was the man again, 3 TD's and zero turnovers. Belichick's call of the fake field goal then punting was a big turning point, giving them excellent position and the all important first score.

The big tight end of the Pats should have been stopped at the side line but the defender tried bumping him instead of wrapping him up.

ChrisSimms is more gritty than I thought . Bucs may have been robbed on that last touchdown play. Typical stupid disastrous penalties were committed by the usual suspects.Edited by: Bart

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
My thoughts on the game:

Garrard wanted to be the hero at the end of the game. The guy can make some throws but there at the end of the game, close to the end zone, he didn't even LOOK for his receivers - he just tucked the ball in and took off. Needless to say, they didn't score, but Matt Jones took the blame because he didn't hold onto the ball in the endzone.

Speaking of which, why was there no interference penalty on the Patriot draped all over Jones' back on the aforementioned play?

I don't know how good a coach Jack Del Rio actually is, although having the players chop with an axe at a stump in the locker room as some kinda motivational tool gives one some indication. At any rate, the look on his face throughout the game was one of bewilderment. He looked like he wasn't sure what was happening, and even less like he had an idea of what to do about it.

Matt Jones was the Jags leading receiver tonight, albeit in a losing effort. He should have gotten even more looks from Leftwich than he did; there appeared to be several plays in which Jones was open but Lefty threw it to Smith or Williams, despite the fact they were covered, sometimes even in double coverage.

The Jags were 12-4, and didn't win the division because the Colts were 14-2. But in my opinion the Jags were the worst of the all the teams to make the playoffs, and the fact that they received little recognition during the season was well deserved.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i think Matt Jones did great in his first career playoff game, he looked good out there, and finally he was being thrown to! hopefully it spells something good for next year (and Jimmy Smith, please tetire already)

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Is it just me or have these been some pretty poor football games this weekend?

The Giants' tackling makes DeShaun Foster look like a Hall of Famer. Lots of overthrown passes, fumbles.. the Washington Redskins had 120 TOTAL YARDS OF OFFENSE.. AND THEY WON THE GAME?? I know Tampa has a good D but thats ridiculous. Mark Brunell was something like 3/7 for 48 yards... through FOUR QUARTERS OF FOOTBALL??
smiley5.gif

I hope the Stillers v Bungles game will be better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White Shogun said:
Is it just me or have these been some pretty poor football games this weekend?

I agree. I found myself alternating between the Panthers-Giants gameand a show about the Loch Ness Monster on the History Channel. Too little action and big plays in these games,way too many commercials. That's why I like the Sunday Ticket on DirecTV -- when there's ten games on at once, there's usually at least one that isn't on commercial break.
smiley6.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As of right now, Matt Jones is the leading receiver for this weekend action. He had 94 yards on 6 catches, and could have had a TD. Congrats on making the most of limited opportunities in your rookie season Matt!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I will also add that besides being the leading receiver out of the first 3 playoff games, Matt had a total of 526 yards on 42 catches and 5 TD's this year. He also had 12 runs for 51 yards. If he can get into the gameplan a little more at Jackson-vile next year, he should be close to 1,000 yards for the year. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

nhl411

Guru
I don't know if anyone else has ever seen this article, but a while back there was one of those sports illustrated player feature sections thast covered Leftwich and he was quoted as saying basically that he's not as slow as people think, and that he's still faster than ANY white quarterback.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Oh Man!
smiley36.gif
Byron "The Sandwich" Leftwich faster than any white QB! That's rich! What a maroon!
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nhl411 said:
I don't know if anyone else has ever seen this article, but a while back there was one of those sports illustrated player feature sections thast covered Leftwich and he was quoted as saying basically that he's not as slow as people think, and that he's still faster than ANY white quarterback.

Well, we can see how far this vaunted, self-acclaimed speed took him this past weekend. Now, he can work on timing how long it takes to go from the couch to the fridge for the rest of the playoffs.

JD074

Master
Kaesviharn is having a tough game (Bengals/ Steelers.) He got beat for 50 yards, then a TD, and later a pass interference penalty in the end zone. Rough. Also, he seems a little small for safety (I assume that's the position that he's playing right now, I'm not familiar with all the "intricacies" of defensive positions.) I wonder why he's not playing corner... hmmm....

I have seen him make a couple of tackles for losses.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Well, the Panthers beat the tar out of the -Midgets- today. Eli didn't fare too well but Jake looked pretty good. Carolina didn't let Tiki run all over the field, unlike the Chiefs they know how to tackle.

Oh boy, you gotta have some pity for the Bengals. They get the Steelers at home and Carson Palmer goes down with a blown ACL after only two plays. They gotta be snake bit. On the other side of the ball Ben played very , very well. Polamalamalamolomalu or whatever the name is, did a a nice job of blowing his gasket and going brain dead, but we've seen quite a bit of that this weekend.

backrow

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Kaesviharn is having a tough game (Bengals/ Steelers.) He got beat for 50 yards, then a TD, and later a pass interference penalty in the end zone. Rough. Also, he seems a little small for safety (I assume that's the position that he's playing right now, I'm not familiar with all the "intricacies" of defensive positions.) I wonder why he's not playing corner... hmmm....

I have seen him make a couple of tackles for losses.

yes, but he had a good game overall making several nice tackles (6 combined) and no he's actually pretty big, at 6'1" and 200 lbs(he played corner for Bengals couple of years back)...

David Pollack had a great game, with team high 8 tackles, it was him who you saw making tackles for the loss, he also had a sack... he's a rookie...

and least but not last, great game by young Kevin Walter, Bengals WR who had team high 5 catches for 75 yards! and he was but a slot receiver (in regular season he had over 200 yards and 1 TD played fourth receiver mostly)

white tornado

Mentor
David Pollack the best player in college football last year. He's on his way to being a pro bowl player for many years.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
It's definitely a shame that Pollack held out, because he would've probably been a starter all year. At any rate, he is a great defensive player who will surely continue to play at a high level for many years... I'm definitely anticipating guys like Hawk, Greenway, and Posluzny (sp?) also being defensive studs in the near future...

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes, we should have plenty of great defensive players in the NFL over next few seasons: Hawk, Posluszny, Zbikowski, Greenway, Carpenter, even McGarigle, Reid and Schlegel have potential to be very good players on the next level

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that there are 32 teams for those players to be dispersed among. Looking at the recruiting practices of the big I-A programs, NFL defenses are going to remain 90+ percent black until a lot more whites are recruited and developed at defensive positions.