Weakest position in the NFL

cxt7

Guru
I think the cb position is the worst out of all positions, out of the stats that have blown up in the last 10 years wr now are getting over 100 catches every year, also the cbs in the league are afraid to make a tackle and it shows with running backs running all over teams secondaries. I wonder if this has anything to do with it being a all black position? Poor fundamentals and giving up on plays, happens every game.

You know i never really thought about that untill just now. Great point because if you really think about the decline of great CBsn the NFL then it all makes since. You have these small black CBs that cant tackle or cover a WR but yet they are all considered to be the best. Im not saying that there are not any good black CBS in the NFL but there are alot of them that really do suck on all aspects of the game. You have guys like Champ and C. Woodson that are good CBs but yet why is it that both of these guys got killed this year? Anyway I would love to see somemore white guys at the CB spot hell i would even take some more guys at the SS and FS spot as long as they get a chance to play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's not that they (black CB's)stink, it's that a white CB would stink even worse, at least that's what the Caste Media would say. There needs to be some, not one, white CB in the NFL. Currently, there are none that start. Jason Sehorn was the most recent. Hopefully we will see some improvements at this position, just don't hold your breath. Your right about no defense, no tackling, I like to call them primadonnas.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are not only no white starting cornerbacks in the NFL, there are no white cornerbacks period. There's roughly 160 cornerbacks in the NFL and all 160 are black. Anyone who thinks that's perfectly natural, even should it continue for another 50 or 500 years, believes in black athletic superiority on a scale that is simply mind-boggling.

There were several white cornerbacks that started in I-A this past season, which was unusual, but then you see studs like Dustin Fox of Ohio State already being converted to safety (Dustin Fox, meet Matt Jones!).

Cornerback will be just as tough a nut to crack as tailback. But I agree that many cornerbacks are way over-rated, so many are small, so many can't or won't tackle, so many aren't even fast. How many times do you see defensive backs covering a receiver where they never even look for the ball in flight even when it's obvious by the receiver's reaction that a pass is coming? The fundamentals at the position are terrible.

And it's not only at cornerback. The now firmly entrenched dogma is that only blacks are capable of playing all defensive positions except for the occasional middle linebacker or overachieving safety. Defense in the NFL is where the game has declined the most over the past generation, coinciding with the decline of white defensive players. Just as with wide receiver, the majority of defensive players, maybe even a substantial majority, should be white. Edited by: Don Wassall

surfsider

Guru
I completely agree that CB is the weakest position in the NFL. Beyond just the horrible play that is so obvious at the position week in and week out it seems to me that there is a lot of turnover at CB. Teams are always dumping someone in the middle of the season and signing someone else's castoff. The position has maybe even less job security than a kickers as far as being at risk for being let go during the season.

Did the Bears in 1982 have an all white secondary? I'm thinking Doug Plank, Gary Fencik, Jeff Fisher and Terry Schmidt. Yes? No?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Surf, that's a good question, and I don't know, but these black defenses really are seives. How often do you see a goal line stand inside the 3? I'll bet not as much as when whites were well represented on defenses.

cxt7

Guru
Every time I watched D Fox play he played very well, He was always matched up against the other teams best wr. He is a excellent tackler, and would make a perfect cb on a NFL team. With his size 6-0 190lbs he will never make the NFL as a safety, he lead the buckeyes in solotakles in 2002 (67) and in 2003 (55). I have read that his vertical leap is above 40 inches they say he got 42 before, that is more then deangelo Hall (39) inch or any other cb in the nfl. He has also been clocked at a 4.4 40, In a color blind world he would be picked in the first 2 rounds at cb.

JD074

Master
The cornerback position is even less white than running
back, and that really says something. But if I had to choose
one over the other, I would take an exceptional white RB over
an exceptional white CB. It's such a higher profile position.
Rarely do I hear about a corner (maybe that's because they're
terrible like you guys said,) but running backs get mounds of
praise and recognition. I could see an excellent white CB being
virtually ignored, while an excellent white RB would at least get
on a highlight reel occasionally (not nearly as much as he
would if he were black, of course.) Edited by: JD074

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mike Alstott made plenty of highlight reels with some great runs. Chris Berman always made the "boom" "boom" "boom" sound effect when they'd show him knocking over defenders on "Prime Time." Alstott shirts were among the most popular of any player for a good while there. Part of his popularity stemmed from being the only white allowed to run the ball (which proves we're not alone on this site), and part from his running style, which was all-out effort combined with some moves and good speed for his size. Unfortunately I'm referring to him in the past tense because he's in the twilight of his career and because Jon Gruden is his coach.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have a white RB over CB anyday. A RB is really an inspirational position. Besides QB it is the feature position. I'd take a white CB if I couldn't get a RB though. I think the most good would come from a white being at RB than any other place on the field.

Kaptain

Master
It's amazing that the NFL hasn't adjusted at cornerback. At the end of the 80's and to he present the trend has been for bigger wide recievers. The bigger recievers have been the most dominant in recent years (moss, owens, bennett, Mccarffreyetc.). You would think the NFL would try to match the trend with larger cornerbacks. But the cornerbacks are still very small and are getting torched by big WRs. These small cornerbacks are also a liability in defending the run as many of you have pointed out already.

swampscrapper

Sheldon Brown was getting scorched all day against the Pats. This was
one of the few games this year the Eagles faced a very precise
quarterback the likes of Tom Brady.

He completely picked apart guys like Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown and
Matt Ware.

As for the Eagles D, Sam Rayburn had a pretty good game and is much
better than the overhyped Corey Simon but Simoneau is really weak
unfortunately.