Washington State maltreatment of Jessen

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Washington State apparently is a blatantly "black power" college football team. Skylar Jessen, despite Rivals.com bias, is Washington States highest Rivals ranked RB recruit on the roster. Skylar red-shirted last season so he is a red shirt freshman. Skylar has a 5.7 rivals rating (McGuffie has a 5.8 rating in comparison) and was ranked 24th in the 2006 RB class, yet Skylar isn't even listed in the top 4 on the teams depth chart.

The team has three underclassmen RBs ahead of Jessen on the depth chart and one Senior Kevin McCall who is second on the depth chart and wasn't even rated by Rivals back in 2003 and signed with Washington State at the last minute with his 2.7 H.S GPA.

For the underclassman ahead of Jessen; the team currently starts Dwight Tardy who graduated from H.S one year ahead of Skylar. Tardy is a red shirt sophomore and was a 2 star Rivals recruit with a 5.3 rating and had horrible H.S stats: 152-837-5.5-9TD. Skylar Jessen has a faster 40 time than Tardy, a ridiculous sub 4 short shuttle time and Skylar's H.S stats crush Tardy's in comparison 190-1,965-10.3-34Td.

Other underclassmen ahead of Skylar on the depth chart are fellow 2006 class 2 star Rivals recruit Chris Ivory with his 2.7 GPA and unranked Rivals status, his rating is 5.0. Yet another 2006 class recruit is ahead of Jessen, Marcus Richmond, but at least he is a three star recruit with admirable H.S stats 1,349-8.7-16TD ranked 28th in the 2006 class by Rivals.

If I were Jessen I would be looking to transfer to get away from his uncle Tom black supremacist coach. Jessen hasn't even been activated in a game all season. This is despite the fact that the team is 3-5 and Tardy has a whooping 4.7 yards per carry and 6 TDs. And the Tony Kornholes of the world with their anti-white rhetoric act as if the system is fair..yeah right! Even when a white guy gets good recruiting status and goes to a school with inferior talent they are still treated this way. We certainly have lots of hurdles to conquer to defeat the caste system.
smiley11.gif

Riddlewire

Master
Jake Sharp appears to be suffering the same treatment at Kansas. His carries seem to diminish every week, while Mangino (and the media) tries to turn the lumbering McAnderson into a star. Sharp is way faster and has better moves than McAnderson. Unless Sharp is suffering from some nagging injuries that I don't know about, he should be getting the majority of the carries. The O-line is opening the holes, it's just a question of who gets to run through them.
I must admit to not knowing anything about this Jessen guy. West Coast football is usually too late for me, and the rest of the country.

Gi-15

Mentor
well, you're a little off on the sharp case, he was getting more carries until the last 2 weeks, when the black bro caught fire. McAnderson IS playing like a man possessed, and sharp still gets double-digit touches. I think thats ok, he's still a sophomore, and clearly a guy they can rely on for the next 2 years.

Riddlewire

Master
I don't agree with that at all.
I've watched the recent Kansas games. McAnderson is playing like a elephant who's leisurely strolling through gaping holes untouched. It's the Kansas playbook and effectiveness of Reesing that is making him look like a star. Give Sharp the carries on those same plays and he'd turn those 12 yard runs into 15 yard runs, and 150 yard games into 200 yard games. I see nothing special out of McAnderson.

Gi-15

Mentor
Well I can't say I watched thoses games, I don't get them up here in canada. All I see is stats. You're without a doubt right about Jake being able to make at least the same yardage with the same amount of carrie, but I think its a little early to judge negativly the kansas coach, he recruited jake, he's making him split carries, and I won't judge him for being loyal to a senior, and btw he's winning. I think next year when mcAnderson is gone, if Jake doesn't get at least 3/4 of the carries, I'll get to judge him.

bigman

Guru
McAnderson had 4.8 yards per carry on 25 carries, 25 yard long. Sharp had 4.2 yards per carry on 11 carries. Sharp has a great future but McAnderson has earned his role and dont forget something very important, McAnderson is from Kansas too.

Edited by: bigman

SteveB

Mentor
bigman said:
McAnderson had 4.8 yards per carry on 25 carries, 25 yard long. Sharp had 4.2 yards per carry on 11 carries. Sharp has a great future but McAnderson has earned his role and dont forget something very important, McAnderson is from Kansas too.

Good points. McAnderson was a fullback for his entire career at Kansas and is a senior. Mangino hired a new offensive coordinator last year which changed to a spread offense and let McAnderson run the ball on a regular basis for the first time in his career. He is the battering ram and Sharp is the scat back/backfield receiver. Kind of role reversals from what we are used to seeing where the white fullback is the power runner and the black back is the speed runner.

Sharp will have a great career at Kansas, but at 190 lbs, his body hasn't matured into an every down back at the D1 college level. If he stays at that weight, he will be a great all purpose back in the future. If he grows into a 210-220 lb back, he will be an awesome every down back. He is only a sophmore.

As for Jessen, he had the body of a D1 back in high school along with outstanding speed (he was a sprint champion in HS). Unless he has some type of fumbling problem in practice or injury issues, there is no reasonable explanation that he isn't in the rotation at running back. He is a freakin' stud. Here is an old thread on him in the high school forum, Skyler Jessen
Here's a pic from his high school track meet:
280232.jpg
Edited by: SteveB

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire said:
I don't agree with that at all.
I've watched the recent Kansas games. McAnderson is playing like a elephant who's leisurely strolling through gaping holes untouched. It's the Kansas playbook and effectiveness of Reesing that is making him look like a star. Give Sharp the carries on those same plays and he'd turn those 12 yard runs into 15 yard runs, and 150 yard games into 200 yard games. I see nothing special out of McAnderson.

I've watched a couple Kansas games, I agree with your assessment of Sharp being an amazing player, but not entirely of your perception of McAnderson. I agree with GI that you can't fault the coach for being loyal to a senior who's performing well. McAnderson may not have the speed or moves of Sharp, but from what I have seen he hits those holes hard without hesitation and has a knack for breaking any arm tackles. He is the kind or runner you want with a good o-line for up the gut power running.

Sharp is better in the open field and making something out of nothing, but not necessarily better at quickly recognizing holes and barreling through them with avengence. I will be looking for Sharp to get at least 2/3s to 3/4s of the carries next year or I will be disappointed in coach Mangino. Sharp has earned the right to be the man next year.

Edited to add: Sharp was "slightly" ahead of McAnderson stat wise up until the last two games when McAnderson caught fire and became the go-to guy. So it remains to be seen if Sharp catches fire if he will get an increase in carries in a game.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow SteveB, Just saw that Jessen ran a 10.62 100 meter "as a sophomore" in H.S! I mean a 4.4 40 yard at the Nike H.S combine is very impressive, but to run that fast in the 100 meter as a sophomore in H.S is mind boggling. I would assume that would put him in the Devin Hester speed range at this point with the training he is getting at college. Hester ran a wind aided 10.42 in college and he is often considered the face of electrifying speed for the NFL.

Jessen needs to see the field; this nonsense has to stop. The guy ran for 34 TDs and "10.3 YPC" in H.S as a sophomore and apparently is as fast as Devin Hester! I didn't even mention his crazy quicks and cutting ability shown by running a sub 4 short shuttle.

If Jessen is smart, he will realize that he is throwing away a possible NFL career "even in the caste era", by wasting away on the bench under an Uncle Tom coach at Washington State. He "isn't even in the top 4 RBs" in the rotation. He hasn't been activated for even "one game" this season. It doesn't look like he'll ever see the field at this rate at Washington "black power" State! Jessen, please realize you made a mistake with your college choice and get your "white ass" up and out of there now and transfer!

johnnyboy

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Wow SteveB, Just saw that Jessen ran a 10.62 100 meter "as a sophomore" in H.S! I mean a 4.4 40 yard at the Nike H.S combine is very impressive, but to run that fast in the 100 meter as a sophomore in H.S is mind boggling. I would assume that would put him in the Devin Hester speed range at this point with the training he is getting at college. Hester ran a wind aided 10.42 in college and he is often considered the face of electrifying speed for the NFL.

Jessen needs to see the field; this nonsense has to stop. The guy ran for 34 TDs and "10.3 YPC" in H.S as a sophomore and apparently is as fast as Devin Hester! I didn't even mention his crazy quicks and cutting ability shown by running a sub 4 short shuttle.

If Jessen is smart, he will realize that he is throwing away a possible NFL career "even in the caste era", by wasting away on the bench under an Uncle Tom coach at Washington State. He "isn't even in the top 4 RBs" in the rotation. He hasn't been activated for even "one game" this season. It doesn't look like he'll ever see the field at this rate at Washington "black power" State! Jessen, please realize you made a mistake with your college choice and get your "white ass" up and out of there now and transfer!

what ever happened to this guy? i know about the hamstring injuries ending his stint at WSU but has he gone anywhere else to play??

i remember what an exciting prospect this id was. i hope he's playing somewhere.

any info would be great.

cheers.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy,

the last info i saw regarding Skylar Jessen was in the spring of this past year ('08). here's the blurb:

Never-started careers of OL, RB likely over
by Barry Bolton
Posted Mar 11, 2008

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN Grady Maxwell's Cougar career, on hold with knee problems since his first day on campus, never got started. Neither did fleet footed Skylar Jessen's. The door remains slightly ajar but indications from the head athletic trainer at Washington State are that the outlook is ominous for the big man from Tacoma whose first cousin is Marcus Trufant and the running back from Spokane.

Never say never, but the injuries -- Maxwell has missed time with back and knee issues, Jessen for his hamstring -- are considered chronic, said WSU's head trainer.

While participation this season is out, barring something unexpected, the forecast for a return at any time is also dim.

"Skylar Jessen and Grady Maxwell will not be able to continue with football at this time due to chronic injury," said Bill Drake, head of athletic training services at Washington State.

Jessen first strained his hamstring his senior year in high school and then tore it 12 months ago in spring ball. He has not practiced since.

there is supposedly more info available at this link, but i don't have a Scout membership to read it.

johnnyboy

Guru
thanks for the info Jimmy. i just hope this kid gets a chance to play college ball somewhere. its a shame when injuries take out a players career.

cheers