Wariner going for sub 20 on Sunday.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner will face one of the best 200 meters fields ever in the history of track.He will race against A.Powell,X.Carter,W.Spearmon,T.Gay,S.Crawford,K.Willie, and a few others.If he starts well,he will go either 20 flat or sub 20 in my opinion.I feel he is ready.This race however will probably be won by Carter or Spearmon most likely.Wariner still has very little experience over 200 meters.This will help him continue in his pursuit of the 400 world record.Let's hear some predicitions on Wariners time guys.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He could get pulled to a fantastic time. I think a new pb will happen, especially if it's hot and dry...
smiley32.gif

freedom1

Mentor
The guy is a dream come true. He's not juicing and he has a very smart, methodical approach.

Wariner chases world record
BY SCOTT M. REID
The Orange County Register
Carsonâ€â€￾The two-plus carat earrings that swallow each lobe are cubic zirconia. Jeremy Wariner's fashion statements come via T-shirts.

"I Am The Greatest" boasts Muhammad Ali on the front of Wariner's shirt.

"It speaks for itself," the 2004 Olympic 400-meter champion said of the shirt. "Right now I'm trying to be the best in my event. I'm on my way. I've just got to get past some barriers first."

Like running his first sub-44-second 400 on U.S. soil in Sunday's adidas Track Classic at The Home Depot Center, the next step in Wariner's pursuit of Michael Johnson's world record.

Only a few years ago Johnson's mark was regarded as one of the sport's most insurmountable records. In his 1997 historical study of track and field world records, Dr. Gerald Lawson projected that 43.20 would be the 400 record in 2015. Three years later Johnson ran 43.18 at the World championships.

But after Wariner went 43.62 last summer, even Johnson seems resigned that the record is living on borrowed time.

"We don't discuss it that much anymore," Wariner said, referring to the once good-natured kidding about the record with Johnson, his mentor and agent. "He kind of feels it is going to happen one day and doesn't want to admit it yet."

Perhaps even more daunting is U.S. track officials' hope that in chasing Johnson's record, Wariner, 23, and other early 20-something stars like miler Alan Webb and sprinter Allyson Felix can lead the American sport out of the long shadow cast by high-profile drug scandals.

"We're the ones to get the sport to where it needs to go," Wariner said.

Wariner has ruled the 400 with a Johnson-like dominance since winning gold in Athens. He posted 2006's five-fastest 400s, 10 of the top 12, including three sub-44s in the space of three weeks.

Yet Wariner is more often recognized at McDonalds in Europe â€â€￾ "yes, I eat at McDonalds" â€â€￾ than in his hometown of Waco, Texas.

"The only time (the U.S. media publicizes) track and field is when something negative pops up," he said.

Not that he minds the anonymity at home. The central Texas college town fits him.

"It's boring. That's the way I like it, said Wariner, who lives alone in a house near the airport. "One terminal, one gate."

Wariner also trains alone at Baylor with Clyde Hart, his coach and occasional golfing partner.

"We play best ball," he said, referring to Hart, who also guided Johnson's career. "My drives are good but his short game is better."

Wariner's best races have reflected his golf game. In his 43.62 in Rome last July, Wariner scorched the first 350 but eased off with the race in hand.

"I didn't run through the (finish) line," he said. "That probably cost me at least two-tenths of a second."

Wariner ran this season's world-leading 44.02 on May 5 in Osaka despite forgetting to kick coming off the last turn. Despite the brain lock, the race reinforced Hart's and Wariner's belief that Johnson's mark could fall at this summer's World championships, also in Osaka.

"(Hart) knows I can get the world record," Wariner said. "It's just a matter of putting everything together."

Wariner was asked about his pursuit of Johnson's record over the public address system at a recent Texas track meet.

"It's mine," crowed Wariner, spotting Johnson in the crowd.

"He was laughing," Wariner recalled.

C Darwin

Mentor
The announcers were castewhores. They said that his speed was inferior to Johnson, but implied that he wins due to his endurance and heart. Whatever, good race JW.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He literally destroyed the field.He must have won by around 40 meters.Simply amazing.I wonder why he pulled out of the 200 though.If he is going to still run the 200 meters at the USA Track & Field Championships,he should get at least 1 or 2 more races at that distance over the next couple of weeks.It is only around a month away.I really want to see him go sub 20 in the 200 meters.Congratulations on a great race Wariner.

Bart

Hall of Famer
C Darwin said:
The announcers were castewhores. They said that his speed was inferior to Johnson, but implied that he wins due to his endurance and heart. Whatever, good race JW.

They make it seem as though he is a long distance marathon runner. He consistently beats black runners,but isn't as fast as they are,just has more heart..

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
C Darwin said:

They make it seem as though he is a long distance marathon runner. He consistently beats black runners, but isn't as fast as they are, just has more heart..
Intially when he first came on to the scence he was always tabbed as a 800 meter runner(in the future). Obviously some of it was due to his build, but mostly it was due to his race. Even when he was running 44 flats guys were still saying the 800 meters was his event.......
smiley36.gif
smiley11.gif

G

He has more muscle now than when I first saw him at the 04 games. In a year or two he might be able to run the first 42 in the 400. I'm not sure he can go under 20 in the 200 though. I think that's a bit optimistic.

Wariner gets no respect because he's white. Same as Roger Black who was supposed to be lumbering and flat-footed. Yet he managed a silver in the 400 at the Olympics (behind Johnson).

If Wariner can go sub 20, then I have to admit he has a legit shot at 43.00, maybe 42.9 as outrageous as that seems. I feel he can run 19.8 - 19.9 if he gets his start together. I was at the meet Sunday, and Wariner's start was not very good. He has had a great start in some meets, but in this meet he didn't get out well. At last year's nationals he was terrible out of the blocks in the final after doing well in the qualifying rounds. He actually looked like he was going to win the event the way he looked in the heats. Yes, we have guys who dropped to 19.6 and 19.7 all of a sudden. But that's another story. Wariner needs to run more races at 200 meters. He's not running enough of them to get sharp for the event. Some of the bloated roid hounds can do this and then drop huge chunks off their PR's. (Yeah, I still think he's clean - but looking at some of his competition who are more buffed than ever makes on wonder about them - not that all of them doped. But look at who's coaching guys like Kikaya and Merrit)

Anyhow, Wariner gets out and runs 5 or 6 good hard 200's against top fields and he'll bust a sub 20. Then we'll hear the next round of excuses for his success. It will be interesting to see if Andrew Rock can knock a chunk off his PR this season and stay in the mix.

Arrowhead

C Darwin said:

Let's take it easy. I will concede that it was ignorant for the announcers to say that Wariner wins on heart; maybe you can win a couple races on heart, but he has dominated the event for nearly 3 years, and to do that you truly need to be the best.

That being said, I think it would be very hard to argue that Wariner has superior speed to Johnson. Let's not forget that Johnson has run 19.32 and 10.09, and the former is considered by some to be the greatest sprint record in existence. Wariner hasn't broken 20, so saying he has greater speed than the fastest 200m runner in history would be a stretch.

That being said, I certainly think (just as Johnson and Hart do) that Wariner has the ability and most likely will eclipse Johnson's 400m record.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner will be going up against the best 200 meter guys in the us/world this weekend at the Prefontaine Classic.It will be on tv.It will be interesting to see if he can lower his 200 meters p.b. I think he would be happy if he is anywhere from a 19.99 - 20.10 range!Good luck to JW!

C Darwin

Mentor
Arrowhead said:
I think it would be very hard to argue that
Wariner has superior speed to Johnson. Let's not forget that Johnson
has run 19.32 and 10.09, and the former is considered by some to
be the greatest sprint record in existence.

Before the race, Wariner's speed was not compared to Johnson. It
was a general statement saying that Wariner does not win on speed.
If Jeremy were black, those words would never have been uttered.
That's the "castewhorish" thing about the announcers. Edited by: C Darwin

Angelcynn

Guru
I was actually going to ask about how Wariner is treated by the media in America, but you have all already answered my question and it's no suprise. All your sports media need a slap around the face, not only does he win races he tears up the whole frikin track! Does he ever get credited for his running style? Because it's extremly smooth despite running so quick and he makes it look so easy, but the American media would never say he wins a race easily when the majority of the field is black!

Freedom

Mentor
Yeah, but heart can make you a hero. Even though they say he wins on heart to say that whites are inferior natural athletes, by showing his heart I think they might attract more white kids to track inadvertently.

Arrowhead said:
C Darwin said:

Let's take it easy. I will concede that it was ignorant for the announcers to say that Wariner wins on heart; maybe you can win a couple races on heart, but he has dominated the event for nearly 3 years, and to do that you truly need to be the best.

That being said, I think it would be very hard to argue that Wariner has superior speed to Johnson. Let's not forget that Johnson has run 19.32 and 10.09, and the former is considered by some to be the greatest sprint record in existence. Wariner hasn't broken 20, so saying he has greater speed than the fastest 200m runner in history would be a stretch.

That being said, I certainly think (just as Johnson and Hart do) that Wariner has the ability and most likely will eclipse Johnson's 400m record.

Here's my take on the 400 meter dash:

At the starting signal the athletes run until they cross the finish line. The runner who breaks the plane of the finish line first is the winner. The instant that the athlete breaks the plane of the finish line is his/her time for the race.

An athlete's time for the 100m. is not his/her time for the 400m, nor is his/her time for 200m., nor for 300m., nor for 399 meters. The 400m. race is not 2 x200m. cumulative time nor 300m. + 100m. cumulative time nor any other combination of distances cumulative time. It's 1 x 400m. The determinant of one's 400 meter dash ability is his/her place and time for 400 meters.

As long as Jermey Warinergets to the finish line before the other runners and as long as he takes less time to get to the finish line than the other runners, he is the fastest 400 meter runner in the world. It doesn't matter if other guys can run the 200m. faster because the 200m. is not the 400m. Jeremy Wariner is the best 400 meter runner in the world.