Virginia apologizes for slavery

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Virginia apologizes for role in slavery

RICHMOND, Va. -- Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously Saturday to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.

The measure also expressed regret for "the exploitation of Native Americans."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What always mystifies me about these kinds of things is, how can a present day group of people actually apologize for something they had no part in? IMHO, they can't. Just another pointless bow to the gods of political correctness. What a disgrace!

C Darwin

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
What always mystifies me about these kinds of things is, how can a present day group of people actually apologize for something they had no part in? IMHO, they can't. Just another pointless bow to the gods of political correctness. What a disgrace!

Obama said:
It's not clear to me why I would be apologizing for someone else's remarks.

I wonder what the Junior Senator from Illinois opinion is on this matter? Would he see the double standard?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White Mike said:
Open the flood gates for reperations
smiley36.gif

I agree, once you start apologizing, you're taking responsibility for something even if you had nothing to do with it.

If you can say you're sorry on behalf of people who lived here 200 years ago, then logically you can be held responsible in other ways for things they did.

I think we owe these people a one way plane ticket to their african home land where they will find their reparations check awaiting assuming of course their fellow africans who run teh country have not stolen it cashed it. Oh. yes if you the ticketgets used or the check gets cashed you cannot ever return to the United States. Done this way reparations would boost our national IQ at lest 5 points.Edited by: Tired old White

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Whoa! They should have waited on this. I don't know if I'm ready to apologise. Did they check with everbody? I don't remember any one asking me.
smiley7.gif

Robert

They had to wait until now to make this proclomation? Ever notice how things like this get swept under the carpet for decades until now? It's to the point where you cannot accept any sort of facet that is American life. Then again, events like this can only happen in February of each year...Edited by: Robert

White Mike

Guru
I'm from Va, this topic has been in news for a while. The state legislators aproved this bill unanimously. The 400 year aniversery of James Town is this year. I guess they didn't want to discourage any blacks from visiting
smiley11.gif

I remeber hearing that after Lincoln freed the slaves, he wanted to put all on a boat an send em back. He knew a biracial society couldn't exist. Anyone know the historical acuracy of this?

Lastly, isn't about time Germany apologised for the Holocaust? I mean, atleast finish what you started...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, Lincoln had that plan. That was part of the Liberia plan. Thats one reason why I wish he hadn't been killed.

I wonder what the Junior Senator from Illinois opinion is on this matter? Would he see the double standard?[/QUOTE]
Depends on how much of a kickback he will get. Barry O is not entitled to any reparations. His father was a legal immigrant from Africa. His mother is, suppositity, had ancestors who owned slaves.

White Mike

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
Yes, Lincoln had that plan. That was part of the Liberia plan. Thats one reason why I wish he hadn't been killed.

I've been trying to look up info but it's hard to find. Google had 21 results
smiley21.gif
Yahoo's Q&A deleted the topic. WTF?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
White Mike said:
Colonel_Reb said:

smiley21.gif

Not surprising.

However, Wikipedia has an entry on the history of Liberia that you can check out.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Apologies for slavery in this day in age are the epitome of bed-wetting, candyass, pinko pantywaist, Marxist appeasement IMO. It's also downright illogical to imply you had any stake in something which ended in the 1860s. Classic liberal nonsense.

Thomas Jefferson was firmly against allowing Blacks to stick around after the end of slavery as well. Unfortunately, the powers that be don't want our true history known, they have revised it to the point that the truth is now considered to be a revision.

I'm surprised the nutjobs out here in the California government haven't apologized to all of the wetbacks for "stealing" AZTLAN from them.... yet. I'm sure its coming, despite the fact that there were less then 10,000 "Mexicans" in California at the time and that they were mainly Spaniards (White Europeans), and of course they will likely forget that we paid Mexico for the land when we could have taken it as victory spoils.

White Mike

Guru
White Shogun said:
White Mike said:
Colonel_Reb said:

smiley21.gif

Not surprising.

However, Wikipedia has an entry on the history of Liberia that you can check out.

Thanks Shogun.

From Wikipedia said:
In 1817, in Washington, D.C., the ACS established the new colony (on a tract of land in West Africa purchased from local tribes) in hopes that slaves, once emancipated, would move there. The society preferred this option to the alternative: a growing number of free black Americans demanding rights, jobs, and resources at home.

Maryland legislators passed a law in 1832 that required any slave freed after that date to leave the state and specifically offered passage to a part of Liberia administered by the Maryland State Colonization Society.

Will virginia apologize for helping to start the Civil war, invading Maryland and Pennslvania in '62 and '63, and killing all those nice Union Soldiers?
I forgot. These are white people, and they don't count.