Valuev vs. Holyfield

Sean

Mentor
Valuev and his management said they didn't want this fight on fightnews. They mentioned Kali Meehan as a possible opponent, and I've also heard Golota's name thrown around. In my opinion, this fight doesn't need to be against a top level guy, because all this fight is is a keep busy match until Chagaev is ready. Still, it shouldn't be Holyfield.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I would actually love to see Golota vs Valuev. Golota's only chance to win a belt is by beating Valuev. Also Vitali is looking for a future fight with Valuev so him and his brother can hold all the belts at heavyweight.

Sean

Mentor
Golota is one of my favorite fighters, but he's never gotten it together. Either his head let him down, or he was straight out robbed, like against Ruiz and Byrd. Golota should have held both of those belts. Instead, he held neither, which was a real shame considering he won those fights! I think Golota/Valuev would be a great fight, even though I don't like it when two white fighters fight. I'll have to get used to it since we've taken over the heavyweight divison
smiley32.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The word is that Valuev's opponent will be either Meehan, or Golota if he defeats Austin.

Holyfield vs. Valuev is just media hype, created when Holyfield approched Sauerland. Old Evander has a lot of bills to pay, so he wants this fight, but it's not going to happen.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This fight is the equivalent of giving a drowning man a stick of wood to float on. Supposedly "Oldyfield" was getting 750K to fight Valuev. That might be the property taxes and upkeep(for one year) on his Palace of Versailles. In a few years if he doesn't scale back his lifestyle he may be in hock as bad as his nemesis Mike Tyson.Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
So much for the potential high 6 figure payday going for living expenses. If this fight comes off it could go towards avoiding jail time. Here is the Constitution story....Boxer hasn't met child-support responsibilities, woman's lawyer says

By JOHN HOLLIS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, October 13, 2008

Former heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield is scheduled to appear in court later this month to answer an attorney's claims that Holyfield has not complied with his financial responsibilities to a woman and the child she had with him.

Randy Kessler, the attorney for Toi Irvin of Clayton County, said Monday that he is prepared to ask for jail time when Holyfield appears in Fayette County Superior Court on Oct. 22 to answer why he has failed to comply with the support agreement for the couple's soon-to-be 11-year-old son, one of his 11 children.

Kessler said Holyfield had until Sept. 1 to pay the $4,500 in legal fees that Kessler's firm ran up in getting him to pay back child support and to ensure that a college trust fund is in place and funded. Neither condition had been met as of Monday afternoon. Holyfield has also failed to pay the child's private school tuition, forcing the mother to instead send her son to public school, Kessler said.

Kessler said he intended to ask the court to make Holyfield comply with the terms or risk going to jail.

Holyfield, who lives in a sprawling mansion in Fayette County, is obligated to provide $3,000 per month in child support. Court records show that he'd been in arrears before making a $9,000 payment in July. In avoiding a scheduled deposition, he also agreed to a court order requiring him to make timely child-support payments, reinstate the boy's health insurance, cover a private school bill and ensure that a college trust fund was in place.

"It's been frustrating," he said, "because she's getting such a low amount [in child support], considering the amount of assets he has."

Efforts to reach Holyfield Monday afternoon were unsuccessful as no one answered the phone at his office.

His attorney, Joy Edwards, didn't want to comment on pending litigation, but hinted at a remedy agreeable to all parties prior to the court date.

"I think Evander, historically, has made his best attempts financially to take care of his children," she said, "and he will continue to do that."

Holyfield has grossed more than $248 million over his career in ring purses, including $107 million over a six-fight stretch from 1996-99. He's been hit hard, however, by two previous divorces, several failed business ventures and child-support payments believed to run as high as $500,000 annually for the nine of his 11 children that don't live with him. Holyfield and his third wife, Candi, have two children between them.

There were reports recently that Holyfield would fight Russian Nikolai Valuev for the World Boxing Association title in December, but no formal agreement has been finalized as of yet. Should he fight Valuev and win, Holyfield would become the oldest heavyweight boxing champion ever at age 46.
Edited by: white is right

Sean

Mentor
So boxing owes it to Evander to bail him out? that seems to be the gist of it. Give him another shot at a title? Look I have nothing against Holyfield, I hope he gets his finances straightened out. But this man does NOT deserve another title shot. If he needs a fight, give him one, but not for a title. Let him fight Minto, Bidenko, or someone. If he wants an easy win let him fight Couser or Hawkins. It's not boxings job to pay Holyfields child support. It's Holyfields job.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Well, the date and place appear to be settled: dec. 20, switzerland.Holyfield certainly does not deserve a title shot. All we can do is hope that Valuev KO's him early.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I can't believe this fight is happening.
smiley13.gif

I'm not going to watch it, nor make another post about it. It's bad for the sport of boxing.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Wow. Holyfield gets another title shot. What has he accomplished as of late in the heavyweight division to get this chance? Blacks always get something for nothing. They keep putting these recycled blacks against the champions in hopes that they will win by a lucky punch. This will give them at least one black champion.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
This is so stupid. Perhaps another name recognition fight? But then again, why is Olyfield any less deserving of a title fight than, say, Hasseem Rahman? Neither of them have worked for their shots, at all.

The funny part is, Valuev isnt even that great himself. I know he's a white boxer, but I really dont consider him an athlete like the rest of our warriors....more like a huge guy with a great chin and moderate KO power. Whatever, Evander will get beat again in a boring fight without a KO.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I don't even know why Holyfield is allowed to fight. Didn't the Nevada athletic commission refuse to give him a license because he was taking so much punishment? The hope is that one of these black hopes will land a lucky punch and they will win a belt. Holyfield already had a title shot against Sultan and was very unimpressive.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD 1986, Thrashen, Whiteathlete33:
You are all saying exactly what I and everyone is wondering or saying: what is the point in this fight?
Holyfield is going to end up brain dead and in need of permanent care before he is 60. What a fool.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Exactly Mapleleaf. What angers me is why does Holyfield get another title shot. He has 9 loses and his skills are extremely poor at this point. He is considered a legend by the boxing world only because he is black. They already threw Rahman at Klitschko, now Holyfield at Valuev, and god knows which black hope they will try to get to fight Vitali. It is starting to get a bit ridiculous as there are so many other white talents that deserve title shots.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Exactly Mapleleaf. What angers me is why does Holyfield get another title shot. He has 9 loses and his skills are extremely poor at this point. He is considered a legend by the boxing world only because he is black. They already threw Rahman at Klitschko, now Holyfield at Valuev, and god knows which black hope they will try to get to fight Vitali. It is starting to get a bit ridiculous as there are so many other white talents that deserve title shots.

Yes, people like Dimitrenko and Bidenko who keep on winning deserve title shots. Even Meehan and Minto deserve it more than Holyfield and Rahman at this point.

Sean

Mentor
Minto and his manager actually tried to get this fight with Valuev.

Keep in mind guys that Nikalai does not want this fight. It is Sauerland who wants it, which means this is purely to make them money. Holyfield, they feel, will sell more tickets in Switzerland than Bidenko, Minto, Meehan, etc. Unfortunately they are probably right from that financial point of view. However, there is NO DOUBT that many deserving white fighters are being overlooked to give Holyfield another title shot.

P-NutLane

Guru
Just like whiteathlete33 says, to the letter.
smiley32.gif
The powers that be are
smiley7.gif
because white boxers are disproving what they have been attepting to sell since Jack Johnson, and have sold since Ali. This fight is nothing short of comical.
smiley36.gif
Whats worse, if Earvander wins by some miracleMaxipad Kellerwoman, and Betty Atlas and them will discredit ALL eastern Euro warriors.
smiley11.gif

Heres to hoping EARvander gets buried for good this time.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Whiteathlete33 wrote: "It is starting to get a bit ridiculous as there are so many other white talents that deserve title shots."

But the good side to all of this is we get to see plenty of black/white match-ups with whites doing all of the winning
smiley36.gif
!

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Oh now I get it! He's called Holeyfield cause he plants his seeds in all those black holes. Well it looks like Eslander is going to get whats left of his brains knocked around that coconut he's got for a head. Well he is religious, so maybe he can get to be with his god sooner than later, what a fool!