USA Track & Field Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This weekend is the USA Track & Field Championships.This could possibly be an eye opener.Jeremy Wariner has decided to only compete in the 200 meters.This is great news as he can truley test how fast he really is against this countrys fastest sprinters.No one can touch him over 400 meters so he is experimenting with the 200 alot this year.He has run a p.b. of 20.19 so far a little over a month ago.Wariner wants to attempt to win the gold medal over 200 & 400 meters at the next olympics.I can't wait to see him in this event.If he could go sub 20,he would become an even bigger legend,if that is possible and inspire countless kids!

In the 100 meters we have John Woods.He has been racing in Europe and doing quite good.His lifetime p.b. is 10.16 but maybe he can shock a few people.He is a super long shot but don't totally count him out of making the finals.

In the 400 meters,it is totally loaded.We have Andrew Rock,Mitch Potter,Matt Scherer and Adam Buzzard.I see Rock possibly winning it all with Wariner doing the deuce.I would love to see Potter and Scherer make some serious noise and possibly make the finals.Buzzard probably isn't ready for this level just yet.

It's going to be a great weekend and it will be on tv.Make sure you guys watch it.I need to try and record it.I have a feeling that Wariner will shock alot of people!
smiley20.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Without a major world meet. Wariner tweeking his speed work is a good idea. It looks like he is number two behind Spearmon in the deuce. But this speed work could bring his 400 down to a scary mid 43........
smiley32.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
It will be very interesting to see how well Wariner does in the 200m. I think it will be the white sprint highlight of the year.
I am also very curious about how well Rock will do. He has run the same (very good) time of 44.8, three times this year. He will need to run faster this weekend to win the championships. One thing about Rock though, is that he is very good at running consistently fast times through the rounds of championship meets. Not a lot of guys can do that. Often running 3 rounds of quality races wears others down for the finals. So, I just hope Rock's speed will be on par with his strength.
Good luck to him and Wariner.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Rock, Scherer, Potter, and Buzard all advanced to the semi-finals.
Scherer, Potter, Buzard went 1-2-3 in their heat with a guy named Olsen from Wisconsin getting 4th.
Would have liked to have seen that heat.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
John Woods advanced to the next round of the 100 meters with a 10.38 into a slight wind.He finished 2nd in his heat.He is one of 10 guys to qualify out of a field of 32 guys that raced today.Way to go John!Good luck in the next round!
smiley32.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Woods ran 10.38 in his heat and was one of 16 guys who qualified for the semi-finals.
He ran 10.45 in his semi and did not qualify for the finals.

Andrew Rock led all 400m semi-finalists with a time of 44.68. That should make him the favorite for the final.
Mitch Potter missed qualifying for the final by 2/1000s of a second! Ouch!
Scherer and Buzard also did not advance.

white is right

Hall of Famer
For Woods that's a poor time. Was it the weather? Rock again shows his class, and maybe will silence his critics that he was "lucky" last year........
smiley32.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
He (Woods) just didn't run that fast.
As for Rock, this is his time to shine. Wariner is not competing, so it is his big chance to step out of Warnier's shadow and show everyone just how good he is.
It would also be great to have another white National Champion at the 400m.
I'm telling you, Wariner and Rock are reclaiming ground that had been lost for decades.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Big props to Andrew Rock.One more big race and he will be the national champion.This kid deserves it.He runs in the 44 second range with out too much difficulty.He is a class act on and off the track.

I can't wait to see Wariner running in the deuce.Don't forget to set your tivo's or vcrs guys.We could just witness the first white american to go sub 20 if the conditions are right.I would be happy with a top 3 finish but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Wariner just ran a 20.28 into a 1.3 wind!!
He was easily the fastest qualifer in the preliminary rounds of the 200m.
I just hope he didn't expend too much energy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It sucks that his heat was such a negative wind.By comparison,W.Spearmon had an 0.1 wind.Good luck to JW in the next round.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
GREAT NEWS!
Rock won the 400m!!
Two different white champs in the 400m, 2 years in a row.
2004 Wariner
2005 Wariner
2006 Rock

I'm sure this has happened since the early 60's or the 50's.
And finally Rock got some TV coverage.
Great race, and inspiration for all the young white sprinters out there.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Ok, the last time the US 400m championship was won in consecutive years by white runners was 1964 and 1965.
Mike Larrabee won in 64, and Ollan Cassell won in '65.
So a real break-through by Rock!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Rock ran a 44.45!Holy cow.That is an insane time against the best competition in the country.Finally,he can get some of the publicity that he deserves.I see Rock being a high 43 second sprinter eventually.Wariner is just barely a notch up of Rock.Andrew Rock shows that anyone can do it.Even a kid from a small college in Wisconsin.I am so pumped up right now.If only Wariner can shock the world tommorow,it will be a perfect weekend!
smiley32.gif

bigman

Guru
white lightning said:
.....Andrew Rock shows that anyone can do it.....
smiley32.gif

you are off the deep end... Rock shows that only one a year can do it and that makes him probably one in a million.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So your saying an athlete like Justin Gatlin isn't also 1 in a million.To be the best in the world,Wariner,Rock,etc. you have to be 1 in a million.How will we ever know how many Wariner/Rock types are out there when so few compete.Track/Sprinting is not a sport that many whites even try out for.If it were to become mainstream like the X Games,you would see more 1 in a million white sprinters than you would think.I guarantee that.Hopefully,these great US Sprinters will inspire some of the youth of America!You just can't give Andrew Rock any credit can you?It just kills you that he won.
smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
What the heck is wrong with black sprinters? Blacks comprise over 90% of the athletes that run sprint races. They are universally acknowledged to have a level of skill so high that the worst black runner is considered better then the best white runner. Yet here we have 3 years in a row, 3 YEARS! that a white AMERICAN!? has won this race. WTF?

How can that be?

Next thing you know white boxers will be dominating the heavyweight division in boxing.
smiley5.gif

bigman

Guru
white lightning said:
So your saying an athlete like Justin Gatlin isn't also 1 in a million.To be the best in the world,Wariner,Rock,etc. you have to be 1 in a million.How will we ever know how many Wariner/Rock types are out there when so few compete.Track/Sprinting is not a sport that many whites even try out for.If it were to become mainstream like the X Games,you would see more 1 in a million white sprinters than you would think.I guarantee that.Hopefully,these great US Sprinters will inspire some of the youth of America!You just can't give Andrew Rock any credit can you?It just kills you that he won.
smiley36.gif

Rock-like talent is not around every corner. I was simply saying that Rock is not your next door neighbor, he is a super super athlete.... sorry but everyone cant do it.Edited by: bigman

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jeremy Wariner has advanced to the finals of the 200 meters with the quickest time in the semis.The track was very wet and the conditions were pretty bad.Wariner looked very relaxed and shut it down with around 30 meters to go.He could have possibly been close to a 20 seconds flat time if he ran all the way.Even with the wet track,he has a very good chance to post a new p.b. in the final and possibly be the new national champion!Come on Wariner.Put down a huge time and shock the world.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bad news for Wariner fans, he was a well beaten 5th. I don't know whether the wet track played a part in the results. The top two runners went sub 20, and the race was won by Spearmon. I thought he would win going in, but I'm a little disappointed that Wariner didn't challenge him more....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I missed the race but Wariner got beat easily.I would like to have seen it but the rain delay screwed up the tv coverage.I don't know what happened as he was looking so strong though the rounds.He finished in a tie for 4th place by running a 20.24!That has to be very frustrating for him and his coach.He should have been alot faster but just didn't perform well in the final.I still give him credit for stepping down and attempting to win the title in the deuce.Hopefully,this will make him continue to train even harder in the 200 meters.I would hate to see him give up on his hopes of a potential double in 2008.Good luck to him.Keep your head high Jeremy.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I didn't see the race because of the rain delay so I don't know what happened.
He dominated his semi-final...so I thought he would have done much better in the final.
My only thought is that the semis and final were run on the same day, and that may have been difficult for him.
He never has to run the 400m on the same day at any big meets.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wariner was asked what happened in the final.He said that he just didn't react to the gun.He had one of his worst starts in his life out of the blocks.He said he was way behind from the get go and just didn't have enough time or distance to make up the stagger.He also said that he expected to win the race.At least he is still very confident in his ability to run the deuce.He still ran 3 races in the 20.2 range in bad conditions.Not bad for his first try out.Good luck to Wariner the rest of the year.

G

white lightning said:
Wariner was asked what happened in the final.He said that he just didn't react to the gun.He had one of his worst starts in his life out of the blocks.He said he was way behind from the get go and just didn't have enough time or distance to make up the stagger.He also said that he expected to win the race.At least he is still very confident in his ability to run the deuce.He still ran 3 races in the 20.2 range in bad conditions.Not bad for his first try out.Good luck to Wariner the rest of the year.

A great warrior, never makes excuses.

A great runner can have a bad start and still catch up to his opponents and beat them, like donavon baily did when he won his gold at the 96 olympics. Its a lot easier to catch up in the 200m, because of the distance. So if wariner REALLY had what it takes, he wouldve caught up, and won......but he didnt, have what it takes

So i give him credit for trying. But what it all boils down to is that the kid should stick to 400m