Upshaw passes!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I saw on wire reports that Gene Upshaw has died of pancreatic cancer. Never has a former player who headed a Players Association been so hated by former members. I wonder if accountants find out he was cooking the books will guys like Ditka go after his estate on behalf of so many down and out former players.

White Power

Mentor
Maybe just maybe we'll get a white to represent the union. Upshaw was the main one that wanted more racial diversity hence more sorry ass black incapalble quarterbacks. I for one look at his passing as a sliver of hope for change in the leauge.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't think that will happen. Most dumb black underclass people don't trust white people. The saying"once you go black you don't go back" applies to both the NFL and the NBA unions. Also of the 4 major sports those are the two most incompetent unions.....
smiley11.gif

I just pulled from my bookcase the 1975 "The Complete Handbook of Pro Football." I turned to the AFC section written by Pittsburgh writer Phil Musick. In the Raider preview, Musick writes of Gene Upshaw in part, "Could be leagues finest guard. Excellent puller. Something of locker-room politician, but well-liked. Extremely bright. Heavily involved in businesses. Serves as effective buffer between black and white Raiders and is respected by both."

Years ago, I read that Al Davis drafted Upshaw in 1967 to go against the Chief's DT Buck Buchanan.

Deacon

Guru
Gene Upshaw also grew up in a segregated neighborhood. I'm not sure if that's really news, but numerous sports outlets have never stopped mentioning that seemingly worthless tidbit.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else find it surprising that there was no advance notice that Upshaw was dying? Although some people die within a week of finding out they have cancer, usually it's a drawn-out affair, especially with those who can afford the best medical care. There was no publicity of Upshaw's serious condition that I'm aware of, now all of a sudden, like with Tim Russert, it's being treated like a head of state has passed.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Supposedly pancreatic cancer is cancer that you die quickly from. Also being a tough lineman he might have been sick for a while but ignored the signals. My views on Upshaw celebrate the player, rue the union head.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
Supposedly pancreatic cancer is cancer that you die quickly from. Also being a tough lineman he might have been sick for a while but ignored the signals. My views on Upshaw celebrate the player, rue the union head.

I just read in the paper that he only found out about it on Sunday. That's almost as bad as going suddenly in a car crash. Gives not only him but his family no time to prepare or say their good-byes or get his estate in order..

foreverfree

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
There was no publicity of Upshaw's serious condition that I'm aware of, now all of a sudden, like with Tim Russert, it's being treated like a head of state has passed. 

USA TODAY certainly treated Upshaw's death like the passing of a HOS, making it their cover story in today's regular sports (not Olympic) section. The lead paragraph, true to USAT's tradition of schlock, consisted of two words: "He led." The article then went on to his leading power sweeps as well as leading the union.

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Upshaw's replacement is DeMaurice Smith, an attorney who just happens to be black. In fact, all three finalists to lead the players' union were black.Once something goes black it never be goin' back. "Diversity" is only for Whitey.

Did you seriously think they would have selected a White to head that union? If that were the case, you'd see black pundits on ESPN whining about it and how the new appointee would turn it into a "good ole boys" association and the other usual half-arsed rhetoric. Not to mention these same pundits appearing on Tavis Smiley and DL Hughley. The brass at this union most likely resembles the racial makeup at any government job.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
OldSchoolBoy75 said:
Did you seriously think they (this is an easy and high paid job where the employees take their good old time) and the staff looked by my observwould have selected a White to head that union? If that were the case, you'd see black pundits on ESPN whining about it and how the new appointee would turn it into a "good ole boys" association and the other usual half-arsed rhetoric. Not to mention these same pundits appearing on Tavis Smiley and DL Hughley. The brass at this union most likely resembles the racial makeup at any government job.

Yep, I've noticed that blatant racism here in Jersey. You go on a NJ transit train and almost half the conductors are black (clearly overrepresented). Then I went to the Motor Vehicle Commission (this is an easy and high paid job where they are known for taking their good old time) near me and it looked by my observation even more than half black in my far majority white county (blacks very overrepresented).

Our own government is making whites second class citizens in hiring in the name of "diversity". I want none of this Jersey atmosphere and am moving back to Canada this summer and that is one of many reasons.