Upcoming Fights

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
There are lots of interesting upcoming fights.

Bute vs. Bika June 15 (*ESPN televised*)
Malignaggi vs. N'Dou 16 (*HBO televised*)
Hatton vs. Castillo June 23 (*HBO televised*)
Chapman vs. ? June 23
Povetkin vs. Donald June 30
Platov vs. Akinwande June 30
Sturm vs. ? June 30
Bidenko vs. Hersisia June 30
Savarese vs. Holyfield June 30
Darchinyan vs. Donaire July 7
Wladimir vs. Brewster July 7 (*HBO televised*)
Duddy vs. ? July 14
Krasniqi vs. Thompson July 14
Rees vs. M'baye July 21
Vitali vs. McCline Sept 22
Pavlik vs. Taylor Sept 29 (*HBO televised*)
Maskaev vs. Peter Sept 29

I'm rooting for all the boxers on the left to win! There are several other fights happening, but these are some of the more interesting ones. By the way, both Holyfield's and Ibragimov's managers have been saying there is a possibility they will fight as Ibragimov's first voluntary title defense. Edited by: JD1986

JD074

Master
I'd like to mention some of the other fights, if you don't mind.
smiley4.gif
I can't lie, I'm obsessed with this stuff. Boxing is so decentralized that one really has to look around for the lesser known fighters. It's actually pretty fun though.

Tomasz Adamek, June 9
Zsolt Erdei, June 16
CANCELED Victor Oganov, June 23
Bernard Dunne, June 23
Wladimir Sidorenko, June 29
Denis Inkin, June 30
CANCELED John Murray (British lightweight prospect,) July 6
Andy Lee, July 7
Zaurbek Baysangurov, July 7

There are actually more I could mention, but they'd be too obscure!

Oganov vs. Antwun Echols is an interesting fight. Echols has plenty of experience, having fought Hopkins and Mundine, fought for belts, etc. On the other hand, he hasn't won a fight since 2004, so maybe he's ripe for the picking. I was a little disappointed when I finally saw some footage of Oganov, but we'll see where is in his development after this fight. This will be a great test for him. Edited by: JD074

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
The Victor Oganov fight may be televised since its on the undercard of Hatton vs. Castillo (the Woods fight has been cancelled). I don't think he's as good as his record shows but I hope I'm wrong. He's won all his 26 fights by KO: 26-0, 26 KO.Edited by: JD1986

Angelcynn

Guru
I've been waiting a long time for Ricky Hatton to fight again but can anyone give me their opinion on Jose Castillo? Is he similer to Luis Castillo who Hatton fought when Hatton he was well off his best? Apparently Hattons going to enter the ring in a mexican pancho with one of those big mexican hats! He'll probably be called a racist
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Jose Luis Castillo will be the toughest opponent Hatton has faced since Tszyu. He has 47 KO's and 55 wins, and is a powerful body puncher and a skillful boxer. He's really keen about this fight and is in great shape.

It will be a very difficult night for Hatton, but Ricky's a tough guy so I think he will prevail.Edited by: JD1986

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
This fight should help cement Ricky as one of the best ever. I have found Hispanic fighters to be brave, durable and determined. I have also observed white European fighters(Irish especially)to be in the same class. I just wish Ricky would fight more black fighters because its satisfying to watch their facial expressions change and their resolve disolve round by round while their getting beat down.

pt.guard2

Guru
The Castillo fight will not be an easy one. Castillo came closer than anyone to beating Mayweather and fought him very tough. Hatton is the favorite, but that may be due to the huge number of English fans who bet on his fights, rather than any real advantage Hatton might have.

Not saying he will not win, only that he has to be at the top of his game to do so......

KG2422

Mentor
Hatton is my favorite fighter ever. I love his fighting style. He hasn't looked as great his last few fights. I hope he is at his best for this one. He won't be able to keep up his physical style forever. He needs to get some more big fights won.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Lyakhovich is the one white boxer I don't like, since he disappointed me by standing like a fool in front of Shannon Briggs in the 12th round and getting knocked out. He still has no comeback fight scheduled - he's been very inactive with only two fights in three years, so he's letting his potential go down the drain.

Bart

Hall of Famer
JD1986 said:
Lyakhovich is the one white boxer I don't like, since he disappointed me by standing like a fool in front of Shannon Briggs in the 12th round and getting knocked out.

I've watched the ending of that fight on Youtube a few times and it just seems so strange. He had the fight won. All heneeded to do was waltz around for a while. After hewas hit, he could have clinched or moved forward or something other than fall slowly right through the ropes to get counted out with one second remaining. He could easily have been saved by the bell if hepositionedhimself differently. Edited by: Bart

Maple Leaf

Mentor
The Klistchko vs Brewster fight should be fun to watch. Wladimir banged on Brewster's head like a speed bag for 4 rounds in their last fight before getting stopped in a bizarre ending. Klitschko has since become more patient and more polished while Brewster has become more shop worn. Needless to say I expect a Klistchko knockout.
The next fight is the Hatton vs Castillo one. Without the black vs white conflict this fight lacks some appeal. Beating a latino doesn't have the same allure. Latinos don't behave in the same way as blacks and don't make people despise them. But the fight should be a good clash between 2 good fighters. If Hatton is really busy he'll win. I think he can overwhelm Castillo with volume. He'll need smaller gloves than he wore in his last fight as larger gloves with diminish his power.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Hatton should take Castillo. The main thing it would do is set Ricky up for a bigger fight against Cotto or Mayweather.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Lyakhovich is a Don King fighter so he only fights about once a year. A proposed James Toney fight didn't happen and he turned down a fight with Davaryl Williamson. Sergei has a challenge out to Ibragimov so we'll see if that happens.

JD074

Master
Adamek won today, 7th round TKO. This fight was for the vacant IBO belt. I'm frustrated with myself for having missed most of the fight. Oh well. Adamek could make this division a little more interesting. I hope he makes some waves.

Maple Leaf said:
The Klistchko vs Brewster fight should be fun to watch. Wladimir banged on Brewster's head like a speed bag for 4 rounds in their last fight before getting stopped in a bizarre ending.

I had forgotten that fight for the most part, so I decided to refresh my memory and watch the last round on Youtube.Brewster wasn't overly impressive. He landed a few good shots when Klitschko was totally gassed, but it wasn't that big of a deal, IMO. I think that Brewster got a lot of the credit for what Sanders did. It was Sanders that whipped Wlad, not Brewster. And Wlad actually showed a lot of heart at the end of the fight. He struggled mightily to survive, he really gave it all he had.

I've been feeling more and more confident about Wlad recently. I feel good about this fight.

JD074

Master
I saw the entire fight and Adamek looked good. Obviously he was fighting a plodder, but I liked his defense. He slipped away from him very well. He could be very physically imposing at Light-Heavy, so it'll be interesting to see how "slick" he can be at Cruiser.

I was disappointed that the Preskar fight was stopped so soon. That cut robbed him of a fun KO. He landed some hard shots. Golota looked OK after a two-year layoff. He looks so stiff when he fights, but man can he punch. Edited by: JD074

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I see boxrec.com has promoted Mario Preskar (13-0) into their top 100 heavyweights after yesterday's fight. He's another up and coming white heavyweight for us to root for!

I watched one of his fights on Google video, and I was fairly impressed. He's no potential superstar like Alexander Povetkin, but I think he's good enough to become a contender.Edited by: JD1986

JD074

Master
JD1986, do you have any links to his vids on Youtube? I could only find one vid and that was on Google Video.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sorry JD, I meant google video. I was thinking about the Lucian Bute videos I was watching on YouTube.

By the way, the televised Lucian Bute fight should be interesting. A victory will convince many that Bute is up there with the best at super middleweight. Bika is a difficult opponent and a dirty fighter. Calzaghe struggled to defeat Bika after being cut by a deliberate head butt.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
On the undercard, Jean Francois Bergeron will be fighting Domonic Jenkins. Jenkins is a dangerous opponent who's won his last 3 fights by KO or TKO.

Jean Francois Bergeron also has a Sep 29 fight with Nicolay Valuev, and if he wins he'll likely get a title shot against Chagaev. Hopefully the Bergeron vs. Jenkins fight this coming Friday will be televised by ESPN since it seems like the most interesting fight on the undercard.Edited by: JD1986

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Bute will beat Bika and after Berrio, NO DOUBT, this guy is magic. A class guy who is gonna be the p4p in a couple of year.

JD074

Master
I'm definitely getting excited for the Bute fight. Can't wait. Undefeated Jo-Jo Dan will also be fighting on the undercard.

Unfortunately, John Murray's July 6 bout on Showtime has been canceled due to injury. Crap! I was looking forward to seeing him for the first time.