Unmentioned white guys

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
here's a trio of talented white guys that have been overlooked to this point:

Kevin Walter- WR Bengals: 6'2" 214 out of Eastern Michigan. Walter is another of our special team demons. In his third year in the league, he has yet to make much impact on the Bengals offense, but is acknowledged as a tremendous athlete (see his role as the top gunner on punt coverage). The all-time best receiver at Eastern Michigan has climbed to second-team on the Bengals depth chart, and led the team with 3 catches for 71 yards and a touchdown against the Eagles on Friday, Aug. 26.
smiley32.gif

Jeremy Thornburg- Safety Eagles: 6'0" 190 out of Northern Arizona. Thornburg looks to become a special teams standout. After leading Northern Arizona in tackles the last two seasons and being named all-conference in track as well (he's a long jumper), Thornburg has already earned notice from the Eagles with his bone-jarring hits. Despite being an undrafted rookie free agent, Thornburg looks like he will make the roster as a back-up safety.
smiley32.gif

Tom Crowder- WR Cowboys:6'1" 207 out of Arkansas. Crowder is regarded as the fastest Cowboy on the roster (yes, even faster than Terence Newman). A true special teams standout, Crowder has already been recognized by John Madden as a "special" special teams player who can change a game with his speed and big-play ability on coverage teams (he has already blocked a punt, forced a safety, and drawn six penalties in three pre-season games). Crowder was hindered in his prospects to make the Cowboys by being under-utilized in his career at Arkansas, putting him behind the learning curve for an NFL wide receiver. However, his unparalleled athleticism has given him a chance to make the squad and an impressive26-yard catch against the Texans on Saturday looks to have placed him on the active roster.
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the updates.I will keep an eye on both Walter and Crowder especially.Look at how bad things are.Walter is
the all time best receiver and never gets hardly a look in the nfl.Crowder could be another Curtis/Jones if given the opportunity.I did know about Thornburg and I should have posted something.They had a running back out of NAU that I thought might make it too.He had 4.35 speed.Oh well,we all know how the system screws over these kids.

nj816

Excellent post. I'm suprised Walter has hung around especially since he was cut by the Giants prior to the last preseason game. But then again the Giants also cut Ed McCaffrey. Here's hoping Walter can have the same faith.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great info Jimmy! I haven't even heard of Walter or Crowder. When was Crowder at Arkansas?

Somebody else, no one has mentionedis WR Brock Ralph recently cut by the NY Jets despite been clocked at a 4.25 40 in training camp. He was offered a spot on the practice roster but chose to head back to the CFL instead.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Did Ralph go to school in Canada? I haven't heard of him either.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Crowder graduated from Arkansas in 2003. he spent last year on the Cowboys practice squad where he bounced back and forth between safety and receiver.

I remember Brock Ralph playing against Florida, i think, when he was at Wyoming. (it was a school in florida anyway.) he was a rare bright spot for the Cowboys in that game.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Farris has been mentioned in passing a couple of times on the board, but he made a splash last night for the Redskins with 4 catches for 76 yards and two touchdowns, a 22-yarder and one from 37. he was a solid player in Atlanta, but he's got a tough row to hoe with Joe Gibbs in D.C.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
also, Greg Camarillo, a 6'1" 190lb. receiver out of Stanford is earning pt for the Chargers. last night he had 3 catches for 45 yards after getting the start. he has 6 catches for 78 yards in the preseason. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I can't believe I don't remember Crowder. Arkansas had so many whites playing then, it was hard to keep track of them all as a pseudo-fan. It's not hard now to keep up with the whites on that team.

kevin

Guru
Crowder only palyedspecial teams with Arkansas. I think he wasa walk-on and didn't start until his junior year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That makes sense, I was wondering why I had never heard of him. Hopefully he will get some playing time this year in Dallas.