UFC 296: Covington Vs. Edwards

Arerequired

Mentor
Main Card:
Welterweight:Colby CovingtonVs.Leon Edwards (c)
Flyweight:Alexandre Pantoja (c)Vs.Brandon Royval
Welterweight:Shavkat RakhmonovVs.Stephen Thompson
Lightweight:Tony FergusonVs.Paddy Pimblett
Featherweight:Josh EmmettVs.Bryce Mitchell
Prelims:
Light Heavyweight:Alonzo MenifieldVs.Dustin Jacoby
Women's Bantamweight:Irene AldanaVs.Karol Rosa
Bantamweight:Cody GarbrandtVs.Brian Kelleher
Women's Flyweight:Casey O'NeillVs.Ariane Lipski
Flyweight:Tagir UlanbekovVs.Cody Durden
Featherweight:Andre FiliVs.Lucas Almeida
Heavyweight:Martin BudayVs.Shamil Gaziev

sprintstar

Mentor
If Covington fights to the extreme talent level he posses then he wins, just hope he densest get clipped early. Wonderboy in tough but is still a very dangerous fighter.. Pimblett should KO Ferguson but yah never know as Ferguson is tough, talented and a very experienced fighter...

Phall

Master
Surprised that Colby is a slight underdog, but 21 months is a long layoff. He's one of the few names I'd pay to see (although I won't be paying).

Whiteathlete333

Hall of Famer
What are your thought on Covington? I don’t follow mma but am interested in this one. Do you feel he has a good chance?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Colby is always game and fit, but 21 months as @Phall mentioned is a long time off.. He doesn’t have elite power in his hands, more of a punches in bunches kind of fighter, and a good wrestler. He told Edwards he was going to drag him to the depths of hell where he could say hi to his father. Leon’s dad was a gang leader murdered in London(yay diversity!) So it should be a heated bout!

Arerequired

Mentor
Colby's layoff definitely showed itself here, he fought a long range pitter patter match with Leon for most of the fight and even got taken down and put into sub positions which he quickly reversed, strong last round but it's not enough. The decision to give an inactive Colby a title shot looks very bad now, at least he did not get finished after the low blows towards Leon during that press conference.

Also Sean and Du Plessis got into a physical altercation during this card, that fight's building up.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Colby looked like dog ****, and that was about as bad as an outcome you can get if you are Bryce Mitchell. Absolutely floored.

Phall

Master
Colby's layoff definitely showed itself here, he fought a long range pitter patter matched with Leon and even got put into sub positions which he reversed, good last round but it's not enough. The decision to give an inactive Colby a title looks very bad now.
Poor fight from him for sure. No need for me to echo too much of Joe Rogan's commentary as some sophisticated take. He didn't wrestle so he didn't win. Steep climb up again for Colby now, as he'll need at least two solid wins again before another title shot should be considered. Perhaps take a mid-card fight for low pay and show stuff again, but that's from a purely competitive point of view. Reality for all these fighters is that their brands are worth more than cheap potential losses, and there is always a puncher's chance.

NikoDuke

Mentor
And Ferguson .
time for Wonderboy to retire I think...
I called on Wonderboy to retire a while back. He had a good career & can ride onto the sunset with his head held high..

Mitchell released a statement saying he is fine and that he plans to learn from this. However, that 2L's in last 3 fights so the pressure is on him.

Colby needs to get back to basics. Tone down the act get more active..

JohnHarper

I know this fight was a while back, but didn’t see anyone mention the news below.

Colby is saying that he lost because of a broke foot. Is this the reason for his lackluster performance?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Dunno. Watched the fight and he looked off, to say the least. I like the guy but he talks himself into trouble, not always backing it up with a good performance.

Arerequired

Mentor
Colby seemed to pick it up well in the fifth round, regardless, the main problem seemed to be being gun-shy.