UFC 294: Volkanovski Vs. Makhachev 2

Arerequired

Mentor
Main Card:
Lightweight:Alexander VolkanovskiVs.Islam Makhachev (c)
Middleweight:Khamzat ChimaevVs.Kamaru Usman
Light Heavyweight:Magomed AnkalaevVs.Johnny Walker
Middleweight:Ikram AliskerovVs.Warlley Alves
Bantamweight:Said NurmagomedovVs.Muin Gafurov
Prelims:
Flyweight:Tim ElliottVs.Muhammad Mokaev
Lightweight:Mohammad YahyaVs.Trevor Peek
Bantamweight:Javid BasharatVs.Victor Henry
Middleweight:Abu AzaitarVs.Sedriques Dumas
Catchweight (159.5 lb):Mike BreedenVs.Anshul Jubli
Featherweight:Nathaniel WoodVs.Muhammad Naimov
Catchweight (116.6 lb):Victoria DudakovaVs.Jinh Yu Frey
Middleweight:Sharabutdin MagomedovVs.Bruno Silva

Last edited:

Phall

Master
Do I understand correctly that current featherweight champion Volkanovski ("Australian" via North Macedonia) is moving up in weight class to fight the lightweight champion on short notice? That he usually cuts to 145 for his own fights, but was willing to go up to a 155 lb weigh-in limit for this bout, and on 12 days notice? Is this accurate?

He's an easy rooting favorite, and although I am currently supporting "Islam" in the global marketplace of current events, I would be hard-pressed to support a fighter named "Islam" against a white guy in any situation.

The un-google-able "Johnny Walker" is a very fair-skinned octoroon, and as such, I will root for the "mountain wrestler" named Magomed. Can't ever root for Usman either, so Khamzat it is. I don't follow UFC closely enough at all, but Usman is a very famous name yet also a betting underdog here.

Arerequired

Mentor
I knew taking this fight on short notice against a fighter such as Makhachev was a bad idea for Volkanovski, he should have declined the fight as Gamrot was supposed to be the backup anyways. Volk's chin seems to be his weakest aspect as he got finished by a headkick and punches in regionals long ago.

All the Pakistani Makhachev fans will be rejoicing.

By the way, it is well known that fighters who appear on the covers of the UFC video games tend to lose their next fight, that proved true for Izzy and unfortunately Volk as well.

An older and smaller short-term Usman gave Chimaev much trouble, I think it was a draw because the first round was a 10-8 for the chechen.

Walker Vs. Ankalaev ended unceremoniously because of a bad call by the doctor.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
This card was just flagged by ADL and Israel. Too many Muslim
Victors. Stinks Volk got finished, but it was an uphill battle on 12 days notice.

Arerequired

Mentor
This card was just flagged by ADL and Israel. Too many Muslim
Victors. Stinks Volk got finished, but it was an uphill battle on 12 days notice.
Huh, yeah, Abu Dhabi card, they got all the muslims on it. The real problem is Volk took the opportunity to fight for another belt too lightly and now won't have one for a long time, but Dana doesn't like those who decline fights seeing how they treated Du Plessis.

Anyways, like the black fanbase, the muslim fanbase is rabid, but at least the blacks are rooting by blood, the muslims are pakistanis or arabs who have little representation in these arenas themselves. It's like DWFs cheering on USA affletes in some ways.

Volk was in well enough spirits to show up to the post fight-press conference.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Huh, yeah, Abu Dhabi card, they got all the muslims on it. The real problem is Volk took the opportunity to fight for another belt too lightly and now won't have one for a long time, but Dana doesn't like those who decline fights seeing how they treated Du Plessis.

Anyways, like the black fanbase, the muslim fanbase is rabid, but at least the blacks are rooting by blood, the muslims are pakistanis or arabs who have little representation in these arenas themselves. It's like DWFs cheering on USA affletes in some ways.

Volk was in well enough spirits to show up to the post fight-press conference.
I hate when they have these Asian or Aussie cards and don't say it on the Sports Center news. I completely missed this one. That jump for Volkanovski is a full division on short notice which equals either a points loss due to fatigue against a naturally larger man or a violent ko.

If the UFC fighters had real managers the only way this fight would have happened if it was similar to Charlo against Canelo and he was paid a career high purse, but the UFC is a legal cartel and the fighters are forced to take table scraps.

PS the card might have had rabid Asian or Arab fans because in these oil states poor 4th world countries have thousands of blue collar workers who many times are comped tickets to these events which in general are sparsely attended. Every time I watch a track event, soccer match or boxing card the locals barely care unless an Arab has a chance to win the match, race or an Arab team can win the match.

Next week with Fury vs Ngannou will have a similar atmosphere with the fan noise similar to people attending a classic music concert.

chris371

Mentor
Im sad for my man Volkanowski losing, you gotta respect his courage as a man. Hes like 5'6 and used to play rugby in australia. I played like a year of rugby in ireland and i was a complete softy compared to the real rugby jocks. The game is like 20% bareknuckle mma. The high Level rugby one might see on TV doesnt show what goes on in the trenches and pile ups, toughest SOBs around. So you gotta show Volkanowski respect for what hes done in the past in addition to stepping up i weight to fight the larger Islam Makahev.