Twins Stadium houses swastika

Bear-Arms

Mentor

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) â€â€￾ Fans attending games at the Metrodome probably don't spend much time staring at the ceiling, but those who do might see a swastika in the dome's roof supports.

A Twin Cities man hopes to make a documentary about the swastika â€â€￾ formed by cables that come together to keep the air-supported dome's roof in place.

He's created a Web site about it, arguing that "the flag that flew over Auschwitz should not fly over" the NFL, Major League Baseball and Minnesotans.

Dome officials say there's no truth in Tim Anderson's argument that the German designer was a Nazi and therefore sought to create one of the world's largest swastikas in the stadium that has served as the home field of the Minnesota Twins and Vikings .

"The cables are used to keep the roof down," said Bill Lester, executive director of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, the Metrodome's operator.

"It's just happenstance that it makes that pattern."

Lester says the pattern was pointed out long ago â€â€￾ the Metrodome opened in 1982 â€â€￾ but he hadn't heard about it for years until Anderson interviewed him about a year ago for his documentary.

He called Anderson's theory "a bunch of malarkey."

In response, Anderson said Lester can't acknowledge there is a swastika in the roof.

"If he were to admit that it was there, then he'd have to do something about it," Anderson said, adding that he feels fans who cheer for the Twins or Vikings are being "tricked" into cheering for the Nazi cause.

The pattern may not be around many more years. The Twins, Vikings and the University of Minnesota all are pursuing new stadiums of their own, and have been working with lawmakers to try and develop a plan that will pass the legislature.

[url]http://miva.sctimes.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?Web/page.mv+1+spor ts+811496[/url]

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting story, and one I've never heard of. Tell me people are grasping for straws these days!

IceSpeed2

Guru
Oh come on reporters. I think I once saw a Jewish building
in Spain with a swatstika design(unintentional since it was 1100 years
old). It is a symbol used all over. Hitler cannot
posthumously have a copyright on the swatstika.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That's like one old Spanish flag that looks almost like the Confederate Battle Flag. I guess no one ever called them racist, of course that was in 1879.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Yeah, it's pretty stupid no one even really knew about it or even cared until someone brought it up again.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That's the way people are with symbols they view as "offensive". People bring up the Confederate flag or just the word Confederate all the time and say they want it taken off 100 plus year old buildings. My question is, why didn't they notice it before now? One thing I really can't stand is when people compare the swaztika with the Confederate Battle flag as being equal symbols of racism. The people who say this are ignorant of the truth about what each represented and do not have the knowledge to even comment on the subject.