Trolls

GWTJ

Mentor
I just saw a thread where the poster asked us if we would condone black men dating white women under certain circumstances. The the thread was quickly deleted.

I'm curious, does this happen a lot on this site? Does the person who started the thread get blocked from posting again?

It might be interesting to see some of the off the wall posts this site gets. Anybody?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GWTJ said:
I just saw a thread where the poster asked us if we would condone black men dating white women under certain circumstances. The the thread was quickly deleted.

I'm curious, does this happen a lot on this site? Does the person who started the thread get blocked from posting again?

It might be interesting to see some of the off the wall posts this site gets. Anybody?

It happens a fair amount.For a while we let some of the trolls hang around and post away. A few got up to around 100 posts. But there was a strong consensus that dealing with trolls and their same erroneous arguments had become boring and repetitive so this is a troll-freeboard now. The person who posted the idiotic question about whether "we" approve of a black whigger who talks white and wants to date white girls hasn't been deleted yet so he may live to post again here.

BTW, some of the emails received from opponents are nasty and even threatening at times. If we let everyone post here who is opposed to us the board would be overwhelmed pretty fast.

GWTJ

Mentor
Thanks for the info Don, and you're right. This website is much better when it is civil. It's a shame that you have to receive nasty e-mails though. I am curious, would you say the nasty e-mailers and posters are predominantly black or white?

G

I apologize if I sounded threatening.I'm am not trying to direct any hostility towards you guys.I was only asking a question.I wasnt trying to be a troll.Edited by: Futuregohan30

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking about some emails that have been received being threatening, not your dumb post. If you're not a troll, show it.

GWTJ, the negative emails come from both black and white, a lot of times it's hard to tell. A lot of people also send emails that are very positive. Some simply ask questions or want to debate.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
All I know is I'm glad your moderating all the nonsense from the forums, and taking the hit on the idiotic emails for the rest of us.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I never thought of it being like that, so thanks Don!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We have an outstanding and growing community that makes this a fun board to participate on. It's no problem at all to keep the troublemakersout.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, he's always watching, better look out!

backrow

Hall of Famer
all in all, good job here Don, i mod several sites, or used to and i know it can get hectic at times... and with site like this one and what is seen by many as controversial (or worse) topics it has got to be even harder...

so yeah, keep up the good work , and here's your reward:
smiley1.gif

G

I still dont get what exactly was so bad about my post....Edited by: Futuregohan30

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don, I understand your need to keep this site from being overrun with trolls but I enjoyed the daily verbal battles between gary and pugnus, Sometimes for entertainment purposes, I think you should let them stick around a little bit. We may have got a new troll in the high school section today, not sure, time will tell.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
guest301 said:
Don, I understand your need to keep this site from being overrun with trolls but I enjoyed the daily verbal battles between gary and pugnus, Sometimes for entertainment purposes, I think you should let them stick around a little bit. We may have got a new troll in the high school section today, not sure, time will tell.

He's not a troll, he had emailed previously and I suggested he register and post his questions in the High School Football section. Hopefully some of the high school and college football players and recent former players who post here will give him some suggestions.

Besides the repetitive nature of battling with trolls, there was also the feeling that CF should be a place we can go to withoutworrying about it being contaminatedwith the point of view that dominates all other sports sites and boards. I agree, so of course things can change but I like the board being troll-free.

JD074

Master
Yeah, that's the key word, "repetitive." Another good term, "diminishing returns." Some debate is fine, and can be stimulating, but eventually a troll will run his argument into the ground, and at that point he's just butting in on our threads and annoying us. Don gives them ample time to make their points, and when they start to annoy us, that's the time for them to move on.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Don, have you thought about adding an opposition forum? Some software allows you to restrict members from posting in certain forums (i.e. NFL forum, Happy Hour forum)

Deacon

Guru
GWTJ said:
I just saw a thread where the poster asked us if we would
condone black men dating white women under certain circumstances.
Under NO circumstances!

guest301

Hall of Famer
It wouldn't bother me deacon...people can do what they want.It's not my preference but sometimes you can't help who you fall in love with. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the white mjority population percentage in this country is declining and that kind of thing is not helping. I love my race,heritage and various ethnicities but I don't worship at the alter of it and pick and choose my friends because of it.