Trey Griffin

SteveB

Mentor
I used to follow track more often years ago, but I remember a kid in Texas named Trey Griffin. He was the fastest high school kid in the state in 2000 and 2001 in the 100 meters. He ran 10.32 to win the Texas Relays in the high school division. He was recruited by SMU to play football and pretty much rode the bench his entire college career. I found some results of recent track meets where he ran unattached and had some pretty decent times in the 10.3-10.4 range. Any of you guys heard of him?Edited by: SteveB

G

No, I never heard of him. He sounds a lot like Casey Combest. Combest was a Kentucky high school sprinter who won everything, then dropped out of sight.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I've heard of him.I wish he would have given up the
football scholarship and concentrated more on track.
Texas is amazing with the amount of kids that come out
of there.They have speed equal to any other state in
the country of the average.He was and still is a very
good sprinter.I just hope he didn't wait too long to
try and realize his potential.Everyone talked about Matt
Bruno the Cali Champ in the 100 & 200 but he only ran a
10.43 in high school.That's very fast for a h.s. kid but
Griffin was even faster.

SteveB

Mentor
Since Trey is making a comeback and causing a stir in the indoor season, I thought that I would bring back an old thread that I started on him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Trey ran his first outdoor races of the year today and only lost the 100 meters by 1/100th of a second.He ran a 10.43 which is very good for this early in the year.Trey had the 2nd quickest time of whole meet.To lose to a guy running a 10.42 must have been agonizing but it was a great start regardless.He then followed it up by running a 21.37 in the 200 meters for 4th place.Keep up the great sprinting Trey!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white lightning

SteveB

Mentor
Man, it looks like he won to me.

photofinish.jpg

I am glad that they have Trey running some 200s, that is really going to help him finish stronger in the 100. He's got a really good start, but has trouble maintaining his speed through to the finish. Go Trey!!Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That picture made my day.It's always cool to check out the photo finish pics.Thanks for uploading that.Do you think this kid will continue to sprint after he graduates or will he dissapear like Stamer?I really hope he has the itch to keep training & at least try to take it to another level.We need a white sprinter from this country for the young kids to look up to over 100 meters!He may just be that guy but he has a long ways to go.Good luck to Trey.We are pulling for you here!
smiley32.gif

SteveB

Mentor
I hope he does continue running. According to the UT website, he is in grad school and plans on a career in commercial real estate. A good result in the NCAAs may make him decide to continue running. Just think how good he would have been had he not wasted 4 years playing football.

SteveB

Mentor
Trey is still running for Texas. I figured that he used up all of his eligibility by now. He placed 7th in the 100m at the Miami Hurricane Relays with a 10.78 and 6th at last weekend's Texas Invitational with a 10.87. Not impressive times, but it is the early in the outdoor season and at least he is still competing. Let's hope that he gets back to his previous form.Edited by: SteveB

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder if he has had an injury in training this year or what.Early or not,that is slower than alot of high school kids.I hope he can turn it around.Trey is a great kid and he still has potential if he wants it bad enough.John Woods is an example to most of the white college sprinters.He has continued his career and is on the way up.Don't give up guys.I would love to see several of these guys train together after college so they could support each other.They must feel like they are all alone when training and in races.Almost a me against the world mentality.We need kids to start liking track and running more.