Trevor Berbick murdered

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Former world heavyweight champion Trevor Berbick was murdered in his hometown in Jamaica this weekend by an attacker swinging a machete or a hatchet, police said.

Berbick earned a place in history as the boxer who ended the career of Muhammad Ali, when he defeated the legendary boxer in 1981. He went on to become the world heavyweight champion in 1986, but lost the title to Mike Tyson that same year.

Berbick, 51, was discovered at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday morning with a gaping gash in his head in a church courtyard in Norwich Village, about 233 kilometres east of Kingston, police said.

He had been seen at a party Friday night but there were few other details about his death.

Full article

white is right

Hall of Famer
He was always half nuts, the Larry Holmes car jumping incident was a classic showcase of that. If anybody was going to meet an untimely end it was him. Believe it or not I know an ex boxer that used to spar with him out of the gyms in the Toronto area. May the demons be exorcised out of him now....
smiley5.gif

Realgeorge

Mentor
A few more details of this lovely gent:

"Berbick's career soured following the loss to Tyson and he began to run into legal trouble.

In 1991, Berbick was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking his former business manager.

The following year, he was convicted in Florida of raping a family babysitter and was sentenced to four years in prison. He also was convicted in 1992 of second-degree grand theft for forging his ex-wife's signature.

After serving 15 months in prison, Berbick was deported from the United States. He had been living in Portland parish since 2002. Recently, he had been coaching boxing at clinics in Trinidad.

Though Berbick was believed to be 52, according to boxing records, other reports said he was as old as 56 or as young as 49.

"Legally, I'm a spirit," he once said. "I have no age." "