Tre Smith of Auburn/white running back

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, that is a good one. He seems pretty confident about his chances. If he gets it I will be proud, glad, and relieved at the same time. Who knows what might happen on the plains. I hope he starts though. That will be the first time I will root for Auburn ever if he does, and even then, I'll probably only root for the offense. I just want to see Tre succeed.

kevin

Guru
the coaches like smiths speed, but weren't impresses with his size they wanted him to move to wide out a few years ago. i hope they let him stay at running back i believe he will shine.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The coach was quoted the other day in an article that
he loved Tre Smiths vision.He said he has never seen a
running back read the defense as good as Smith.This
is a very good sign.Tre has waited for 3 long years for
this opportunity!Start the man!!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I've heard Tommy T. say a lot of good things about Tre. I hope he backs that praise up with some starting time. Tub lied to the folks here in Mississippi right up until when he left for Auburn, so I don't trust him as far as I can throw him. Maybe though, he will give Tre a chance. I believe he has more potential than the other backs there, plus Tre already has proven himself in 2002 in the Iron Bowl. He ran for over 130 yards as they beat Alabama.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's a few words from Auburn's football page where it describes the last spring scrimmage held on Wednesday. Tre had a very good day.

March 23, 2005

AUBURN -- The Auburn football team wrapped up spring practice with a scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium Wednesday, in front of 1,000 fans. Tre Smith accumulated 118 yards on 19 carries and had two touchdowns against the first team defense, while Blake Field led the second and third string offenses on a pair of scoring drives in Wednesday's session.

As a unit, the offense picked up 261 yards on the ground and had five scores after failing to produce any touchdowns in Saturday's A-Day game.

"It was a good three yards and a cloud of dust day," Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "We made a point to try to run the football today to see if we've improved any this spring in our rushing offense. We got some points today and avoided getting shutout, but I thought the defense played hard despite having a few people hurt."

In the scrimmage's opening drive, Smith carried the ball 10 times for 48 yards and culminated the 15-play, 80-yard scoring drive with a 2-yard run around left end to reach the endzone for his first score of the afternoon.

The offense then had 10 consecutive drives ending without any scores before Field opened the 12th drive with a 50-yard pass to a wide open Roderiques Smith who broke free behind the secondary and ran into the endzone untouched. Two plays later, Brandon Cox culminated a 35-yard drive with a 20-yard pass to Carl Stewart for the third score of the scrimmage.

Alex Howell set up the next score with a pair of rushes for 21 yards before Field fired a strike to James Swinton from nine yards out to wrap up the scoring drive of three plays and 35 yards. Smith rushed up the middle for two yards for the afternoon's final score, finishing a 9-play, 50-yard drive led by Cox.

Quentin Groves led the defense with 10 stops, including five unassisted. Stanley McClover had six tackles with four unassisted, while Chris Browder had six stops including a sack for a loss of two yards.

Cox led three scoring drives and was 6-of-16 for 56 yards with a touchdown. Field had 88 yards on 4-of-11 passing with a pair of scores and an interception. Stewart rushed for 70 yards on 14 carries and had a long of 24 during the scrimmage's opening drive.

"It's the end of spring practice, but as the defending SEC Champions, we have a lot of work to do before we're ready to try to repeat next season," Tuberville said. "We will take a week off next week for spring break. These guys deserve a break. It's been a good spring, but we still have a lot of work to do before next season."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
There's nothing in the article about Tre, whitelightning, that's why I posted the yardage results 8 posts up from this one. Tre didn't have a great day during the A game. He did have a much better day during their last spring scrimmage, which was last week. Those results are posted 2 posts up from this one. Irons from SC has also run well this spring, so it will be interesting to see who gets the starting nod come August.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for all of the updates Colonel Reb.I am pulling
for Tre to be the starter.I can see him being a 100%
Legitimate NFL Running Back Prospect in 2 years if he
can prove himself over his junior & senior seasons!He
has the speed,power and moves that are necessary.He is
one of the best running backs I have since since Luke
Staley.The fact that he has good receiving ability and
returns kicks also will help him to play on Sundays.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree, whitelightning. I hope he does play, as I know he will shine if given a chance. I just don't trust Tommy T as far as I can throw him, especially after what he did to me and my Rebels in 1998. I do not believe he is a white-friendly coach, just after seeing what took place at Ole Miss during his 4 year tenure. That is just my opinion and I hope that I am wrong about him in regards to Tre Smith. I hope what Tub sees in the way Tre plays will make him decide to start him over the other two.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Sporting News has already given the job to Carl Stewart. It has an article in the current issue on some of the story lines for the '05 college season and the only RB mentioned just happens to be Stewart -- "he'll be one of the SEC's best running backs by the end of 2005," claims TSN.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm sorry but f*** Stewart,he hasn't earned anything!
The job needs to and should/will go to Smith.I really
for the first time in a long time feel good about this!
Tre Smith DESERVES THIS AND WILL BE REWARDED!!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope your feelings hold true white lightning, and as far as I know, Stewart isn't even really in the running for the top spot, I think it's between Irons and Smith.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I've heard the same thing.Irons is a good rb but he needs
to come off the bench.Tre has waited patiently and has
worked his butt off to get the job.Give the man the ball
and get out of his way.He can be electrifying at times.
I see Smith with the potential to possibly lead the
nation in rushing.He is that good if given 20 - 25
touches a game.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree, if Tre can be the lone back, he will excel. Hopefully his injured days are behind him and he will be able to start for all 11 games, and hopefully a bowl game, maybe even an SEC championship game too. Wouldn't that be some exposure!

kevin

Guru
what is great about auburn is that they use the running game a lot they are very one demensional. Therefore I expect smith to get a lot of carries. Alos he is still considered a jounior so he will alos have next season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your right Kevin, I hope he gets to start both years, so then he might be considered for an NFL RB job.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What I would really love to see more than anything is
for a white running back to win the Heisman Trophy and
lead his team to a national championship!This would be
very hard to deny him credit and would help to pave the
way for future kids who want to play at the running
back position.Tre Smith needs to have a good year and
come back for his senior year.Then maybe if everything
goes perfect,they can hype him for the Heisman.Think
about it.He could be their star running back,their
number 1 punt and number 1 kickoff returner.That's what
I call producing for your team.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No doubt about it!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As of the end of spring ball,Tre Smith is still listed
as the number one running back.Let's hope that doesn't
change when they end the next camp in summer.He deserves
to start and can be a star.I don't think many kids are
as hungry as he is to prove he can be a leader at this
level.Give him the ball & watch him amaze people!

whiteCB

Master
I will really be watching Auburn this year and hope Tre has a great season. Also I happen to love the safety on Auburn too FS Will Herring who is pretty good. Collegefootballnews.com put Tre I think it was 61 on its top 100 Heisman Hopefuls.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, I've been watching Herring for a while now, as he is about the only white spot on a very black Auburn defense. We'll see how he does this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good to see you back okra63. I've been gone some myself as of late.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

whiteCB

Master
Tre was in some 2005 college football preview magazine I was just reading about how they were actually giving him some props. They said he is a guy who will burst on to the scene this year. I sure hope so.