Tre Smith in Cleveland Browns Mini Camp!?

I'm a Cleveland Browns fan so always follow along with what's going on in Cleveland..Tre Smith was invited to the Browns mini camp...The Browns signed Jamal Lewis to a 1yr contract but are looking for RB depth & have none...From what I heard in the 1st mini camp Tre Smith looked extremely good & more than impressed the coaches...

I realize he might not get a chance but considering the Browns rb situation isn't that great maybe just maybe he'll have a shot there....He's gonna have to practice hard every single day & play good in his limited opportunities in pre-season but am keeping my fingers crossed..I watched 1-2 games of Auburn & he just sat the bench, touched the ball once or twice & looked quick on his only touches...

How good is he or could he be if given a chance????

jared

Mentor
You can see a clip of Tre Smith tearing up Alabama a couple years ago. He definitely has the requisite agility and short area speed to play in the NFL. He doesn't appear to have that 6th gear though which I'm sure will be justification enough for the Browns to send him packing. The white RB's, WR's, and DB's always seem to impress the coaches during minicamps and preseason but when it comes time to make cuts, they're always first to go, unfortunately.

whiteCB

Master
The Browns had in former Vanderbilt CB Andrew Pace last year too. However, he was regulated to the practice squad for the entire year while "standouts" like Ralph "burnt toast" Brown and Daven "burn me twice" Holly were playing.

Thanx for the responses...Been checking out Tre Smith highlights on internet...Dude reminds me of cross between Barry Sanders/Emmitt Smith type....Maybe not quite as good as Brian Shay was...Brian Shay could have been a great in the NFL if given a shot...DAMN!!!

Alpha Male

Mentor
It's encouraging to read some of the posts under the video. Looks like a few Castefootballers did some posting.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Alpha Male

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Here is a synopsis I was writing about about the Kenny Irons/ Tre Smith situation.

Kenny Irons is a pretty good player, but I don't think he's elite by any stretch. Irons ran for a decent 5.1 YPC in '05, the same as Tre Smith. Irons ran for 4.5 YPC in '06 (I'll agree, he struggled with injury), Tre ran for 4.9. However, Tre's career YPC at Auburn is higher than Irons. I think Tre's is 5.2, Irons is in the high 4s.

I've heard the argument that they weren't running against the same defenses, but that isn't true. It is true that sometimes Tre came in as the mop up back. However, it is harder to get a high YPC when the opposing D is expecting run. And often the opposing defensive starters are still in anyway depending. And Tre always did well when called upon earlier in games. He absolutely dominated in the Iron Bowl that year against Alabama.

I don't think Tre should have started over Ronnie Brown, who I always though of as a very elite player, when Tre was an underclassmen. However, Tre is an elite player himself. I've heard the stupid argument that Tre Smith didn't have great breakaway speed, even though he ran a 10.6 100 meter. Tre ran a 4.49 40 yard dash at his Pro Day which is about the median time for a starting NFL RB. Reggie Bush's "career long" in his first two yrs in the NFL is 23 yards. It is really the 10, 20 and 30 yard times that matter, in fact I don't think it should be a 40 yard dash at the NFL Combine, it should be a 30 yard dash! Eddie George in his entire 10,000 yard career had two 40+ yard runs.

Tre's gift is his elite cutting ability and burst. He was one of 3 in all the '07 Pro Day's to run a sub 4 short shuttle (no one went sub 4 at the '07 combine if I recall) which takes phenomenal burst and agility to do and he ran "an elite" 3-Cone time to boot.

When Tre was a freshman in 02' and Cadillac got hurt he became second string behind Ronnie Brown. Tre did phenomenal as a freshmen when called upon running for around 6 YPC on the year. Then Tre struggled w/ a nagging injury in '03 posting 3.8 YPC on "very limited" carries. Then in '04 he had two runs for 36 Yds on the season as he missed most of the season with injuries, which are common to the tailback position.

Then in '05 Tre was ready to take over as the starting HB. I remember reading an article online about how impressive Tre was in off-season camps. Tre had waited his turn and deserved the starting spot unless he lost it from bad play on the field. Tre had a phenomenal resume as the best Prep back in Florida running for 9+ YPC against the top competition in the state.
Here are his workout numbers from a combine out of H.S

Ht: 5-foot-11
Wt: 190 lbs
Forty: 4.44 secs
Bench max: 285 pounds
Squat max: 470 pounds
Vertical: 40 inches
GPA: 4.0
Class: 2002 (High School)

Those are very impressive numbers. Tre is faster and more elusive than Irons. Irons ran a 4.55 at the Combine. The only area in their games that Irons might have "an ever so slight edge" is in power running abilities. Even biased Rivals ranked Tre as the 21st best RB, which is very similar to where Irons was ranked 18th.

I don't know what happened with the coaches, so that they decided the new transfer Kenny Irons deserved the starting spot right from the 1st game in '05. I think race definitely was factor though. It is hard for a coach to justify playing a white RB to the drunken fans and anti-white stereotyping media when there have been virtually none in the NFL since the mid 80s when college's stopped recruiting them.

In fact it is usually the black coaches that have been the fairest to white RBs (Dungy w/ Alstott & Fred Jackson w/ McGuffie) b/c they won't take heat for it from the drunken fans and media. Universities have their agenda to give as many of the athletic scholarships to African Americans b/c of white guilt b/c of our maltreatment of blacks in the past and b/c of the socio-economic gap between black and white. Liberal universities feel a guilt complex over it as they should, but that is not the way to handle it. The bottom line is Tre Smith is the last in line of elite white RBs that have been screwed. Tre Smith could have been a faster version of Brian Westbrook in the NFL, but was never given the chance!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Notice the misprint in Tre Smith's stats synopsis from CFL.com after he was just signed by the Hamilton Tiger Cats on May 16th.

"Smith, a 5-11, 195-pound native of Venice, Florida played five years (2002-06) at Auburn, where he carried the ball "96 times" for 1,091 yards and 13 touchdowns while adding 27 receptions for 267 yards and three touchdowns. Smith also returned 19 kickoffs for 301 yards as well as 72 punts for 621 yards - the fourth most in Auburn history."

It should have read "carried the ball 196 times for 1,023 yards". Still though, thats a 5.2 career YPC and better than Kenny Irons did in his time at Auburn. Irons was handed the starting job as a transfer despite not showing he was better than Tre! In fact Tre had a better high school resume than Irons also. Tre was ranked 22nd in Tom Lemming's top 25 RBs. Kenny Irons was not on Lemming's top 25 list! Even "white extinction Rivals.com" only ranked Irons 3 spots ahead of Tre. Tre was ranked 21st and Irons was ranked 18th by Rivals.

Can you imagine a 1-2 punch of Jesse Lumsden and Tre Smith for Hamilton. That could be very exciting and would prove to be the best backfield in the CFL with out a doubt IMO. Both these guys could be NFL stars if given a shot and both along with Danny Woodhead are better than Brian Leonard IMO. It's funny which white skill players the NFL deems worthy. I think Hester could very well be a star though, he might be the next Jerome Bettis and will also prove better than Leonard IMHO!