Tomasz Adamek

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Exactly white is right.  That is why boxing has so many weight divisions.  Adamek is a monster at cruiserweight.  He should stay there because he isn't a natural heavyweight and would have extreme problems against guys like Klitschko, Povetkin, Platov, Boystov, or even Arreola.

Westside

Hall of Famer
One fight that Adamek would have a chance at is against the next black dope David Haye. If Haye somehow manages to win, and it shouldn't be hard against Vuluve, then Adamek v Haye would be interesting and a winnible for fight for Adamek.

This fight would be huge in Europe.

j41181

Master
It's true Adamek is better off being a cruiserweight. But here's the problem, the cruiserweight division does not have much history in it. It was founded just some 20-25 years ago. The LH division has for a longtime been next after the HW division. There aren't many well known figures in the cruiserweight division's history, so it seems necessary for Adamek to make the next step (he's already 33).

If Adamek wants to compete strongly as a heavyweight, he'll have to maintain a weight ranging from 210-220 lbs., as he is too small (6'2) by today's HW standards. So best of luck to Adamek in his journey as a heavyweight.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Adamek Targets Vitali, Wladimir Klitschko in 2010

Heavyweight Tomasz Adamek has placed a target on the back of the Klitschko brothers, WBC champion Vitali and WBO/IBF/IBO champion Wladimir. He would like to land one of them in 2010. Last Saturday in Poland, Adamek made his heavyweight debut and demolished heavyweight veteran Andrew Golota in five rounds.

After earning the WBC light heavyweight title, Adamek made two defenses before he dominated by Chad Dawson in 2007. He then moved up to cruiserweight, won the IBF title and was regarded as the best guy at the weight after David Haye made his move to heavyweight. Now Adamek is fighting with the big boys and wants to earn some heavyweight gold. Adamek said he was offered a shot as some gold a few weeks ago but didn't go into specifics on what title or which fighter.

"In a year I could fight the Klitscho brothers for the world championships. I'm not afraid of anyone. I was offered a chance a few weeks ago. But, that was three weeks before this match and I won't enter a ring when I am unprepared, just to earn a bit of cash,"Â￾ said Adamek.

I wish he'd stay at cruiser and dominate
smiley6.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He is not going to beat Klitschko.  History has already proven that small guys like Adamek have zero success against the Klitschko's.  Tony Thompson who is a tall fighter with a long reach had some success against Wladimir and Lennos Lewis has success against Vitali  but was losing on the cards.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Adamek Targets Haye

During the past three weeks, two cruiserweight Champions have made news with impressive wins in the heavyweight division. Last Saturday in Germany, David Haye of England won the WBA Heavyweight title by defeating Russian giant Nikolai Valuev. Two weeks earlier, Ring Cruiserweight Champion Tomasz Adamek dethroned Polish Legend Andrew Golota in Lodz, Poland with a crushing 5th round TKO in a heavyweight fight that was billed as the "Polish Fight of the Century."Â

The juxtaposition of these two wins raises the intriguing possibility that there will be much more action in the recently moribund heavyweight division, as faster, more mobile 200 pounders move up to successfully challenge their supersized, less athletic counterparts. It also begs the question, "When will Adamek and Haye fight each other?"Â

That question most certainly occurred to Adamek as he watched a tape of the Haye fight earlier this week. The power punching Pole did not hesitate to call out the new champion: "David, if you want to fight against somebody who punches back at your faceâ€"not the empty airâ€"you know where to find me," Adamek declared. "You call yourself the best heavyweight fighter in the world after running scared for the whole fight with Nikolai Valuev? It's not even funny."Â

After criticizing Haye for an exhibition "worthy of the London Marathon trophy"Â vs. Valuev, Adamek went on to say, "Talking is cheap. People don't care how big you are during the press conferences. They want to see a man in the ring. I never say too much before my fights and my opponents are not saying a lot afterwards because they are knocked down. You say you want to be a people's champion. If so, fight me. That's what the people want."Â

"There's no doubt that Haye-Adamek would be a "pick-em" fight," Kathy Duva of Main Events, Adamek's co-promoter, said. "It's been a very long time since the boxing public has seen the kind of action in a heavyweight title fight that they enjoyed before the advent of the Super Heavyweights who dominate the division these days." She continued, "When a heavyweight title fight is exciting, there is always a ‘smaller' guy in the ring pressing the action. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Jack Dempsey and, of course, Evander Holyfield, to name a few, all fought in their primes under 215 pounds. The next great heavyweight will come from the Cruiserweight division and we believe that he will be Tomasz Adamek."Â

Adamek's fight with Golota was viewed by more than 13 million people in Poland, in addition to the 17,000 raucous fans who packed the Atlas Arena in Lodz, to see the fight in person. Adamek crushed Golota, knocking him down twice and winning with a 5th round TKO vs. the four-time heavyweight title contender.

As a cruiserweight, Adamek won his last seven consecutive fights, five by KO. The Jersey City transplant won the IBF World Cruiserweight title last December in a blistering fight with Philadelphia's Steve Cunningham, and successfully defended it twice in 2009 at Newark's Prudential Center. Last year, Adamek was awarded the Ring Magazine Cruiserweight Belt, recognizing him as their Undisputed World Cruiserweight Champion.

Adamek will return to the Prudential Center on Saturday, February 6th in a 12-round heavyweight fight. Details will be announced next week.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Too bad we are going to have to wait until Haye and Ruiz fight. Tomasz will stand a good chance against the winner.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I think he can beat Haye.  Tomasz has a much better chin, better technical skills, and is slightly quicker.  We still don't know what Adamek's power is like at heavyweight because he has only fought Golota so far.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Adamek: Estrada is going down

After demolishing Andrew Golota, former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Tomasz ‘Adamek (37-1, 27 KO) will stay in the heavyweight ranks against Jason "Big Six"Â￾ Estrada (16-2, 4 KOs) on February 6 at the Prudential Center in Newark. "Jason Estrada is a completely different fighter than Andrew Golota,"Â￾ stated Adamek, "obviously younger, much faster, he can throw 60 punches a round. Against Estrada you have to be on your guard all the time, in every round. I did see his fight against world-class fighter Alexander Povetkin, Jason was busy, he wanted to fight â€" exactly what I like to do in the ring"¦.the difference between me and Povetkin will be very evident â€" I will do everything required to do what nobody has done to Jason before â€" knock him down. He's never fought anybody as quick and accurate â€" I will not be intimidated by the number of punches he throws in every round â€" I welcome it!"Â￾

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This should be a good test for Adamek. I wonder if he can be as dominant as he was in the Golota fight against Estrada. I think he can with his speed.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Adamek Talks Estrada, Training Camp

A world champion in two weight categories, Tomasz Adamek (39-1), for his next fight, will be under the guidance of experienced trainer Roger Bloodworth, who worked with David Tua, Andrew Golota, Fernando Vargas and Jeff Lacy in the past. Adamek is satisfied with Bloodworth joining his team and hopes that his new trainer's experience will make Team Adamek a lot stronger.

"Roger Bloodworth is a great expert and accredited as a world trainer. He has worked with very good fighters. He is also a good friend of my manager Ziggy Rozalski. My manager had consulted many people about Bloodworth and we decided that he would be a great coach to work with me. Roger certainly will not change my style of fighting, because I am already an experienced boxer, but I know that Bloodworth as a trainer is able to teach me something new. We empolyed a new coach because Gmitruk is often in Poland, and I need someone with whom I could train with every day. All the more so if I want to become world champion as a heavyweight and win against the best, so I have two coaches. " - Said Tomasz Adamek.

On February 6, Adamek will get in the ring with Jason Estrada, who at the press conference, said that the Polish heavyweight made a big mistake by agreeing to fight with him. Adamek is confident and believes that in the ring, he will be a better boxer. The Polish boxer believes that the ring, not words, will decide the victory.

"Everyone at the conference say a lot. Words are one thing, but fighting is another. When we get into the ring, then we'll see which us is better. I will always do more in the ring than doing a lot of talk in a press conferences. I always say that I am confident of victory, because I know my value and skills. We'll see on February 6 during our battle at the Prudential Center. " - Said Tomasz Adamek.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Estrada is another afflete with a big mouth. Talk is cheap as Adamek said. Estrada said that Povetkin made a mistake by fighting him and look what happened. I'm not worried about this fight but Adamek-Arreola could be a big mistake for Tomasz.

Blue Devils

Mentor
adamek11.jpg

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=35398

How do you get from 175 to more than 220 pounds? Did you ever dream that you could potentially fight against Klitschko's of the world?

Yes, I did. Even when I started boxing in Poland, I always wanted to be a heavyweight. People were laughing at me then, and to be honest, I stopped believing it will ever happen. Everything changed when I won my WBC title against Paul Briggs in 2005. I said to myself: everybody was telling me just months ago I will never fight in US, forget about America, it will never happen for you. And then I'm standing in the middle of ring in Chicago, with WBC belt in my hand. It happened, so why not heavyweight division now? Those were my first thoughts, honestly.

You lost your only professional fight almost exactly three years before your upcoming fight with Estrada, on February 3, 2007 against Chad Dawson. It was your last fight as a light heavyweight.

One too many, no doubt. It was a torture fighting at 175 and having a normal weight of 185-190 pounds. Even doctors warned me that I'm just slowly but surely killing myself. Basically, when they are comparing the blood tests and other health results from three years ago to today's tests; I was fighting then being able to deliver maximum 60 percent of the potential. Because I had to loose between 15 and 20 pounds for every fight at 175, I was permanently tired, got all the possible bugs during the year â€" flu, headaches, you name it. But it was then the only way to show America I can fight, so I just went through it.

What did you change when you decided that enough is enough?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. No miracles, no funny business here. I just started to eat what I wanted, my wife Dorota, who is excellent cook, was preparing me all the good, healthy stuff and I was able to finish the meal not being hungry and thinking to myself that I could eat three times as much. I was never afraid I will just get fat, because I'm a gym rat â€" I love training, love to be in the best shape all the time, not only during day of the fight. Ten months after I fought Chad Dawson, I went for bunch of physiology tests. Everything was much better; some statistics even 40 percent better than before. Since then I felt better every month. Ask my sparring partners. I went through three of them during my recent 10-round training session, picking up speed until the last round. I will be ready for Jason Estrada and everybody who comes next.

What's your opinion about the new debate to add a super heavyweight division to professional boxing?

Not sure it's necessary. It works OK in Olympic competition, I know that potentially it should benefit me, being called "smaller"Â￾ heavyweight, but this is professional boxing, no easy way up. And talking about me, people who use the word "small"Â￾ are forgetting than I'm 6,3 and now around 222 pounds. It's more than Ruslan Chagayev or David Haye when they became world champions and much more than for example Chris Byrd. Why not me?

white is right

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Estrada is another afflete with a big mouth.  Talk is cheap as Adamek said.  Estrada said that Povetkin made a mistake by fighting him and look what happened.  I'm not worried about this fight but Adamek-Arreola could be a big mistake for Tomasz.
Estrada is essentially a sparring partner. He should mentally quit at some point and give away rounds. He also can't hurt Adamek. As for Adamek's build he is only about 7 pounds heavier than his heavyweight debut. So he isn't necessarily doing PED's. I just hope he doesn't think bigger is better otherwise he could end up looking like Briggs and have the same stamina issues.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: white is right

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
I am probably going to this fight.  

I wish I could be there.

What a shame the Chosen Ones who run ESPN, Showtime and HBO refuse to show this fight.