Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yes, you're right. I just noticed that Jack- the PBP is behind the box score updates on Yahooligan Rivals. The agenda can't go as far as eleminate what happens- although they try to hide it with highlight omissions on BSPN.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Kaptain

Master
Anybody know how to live stream? Do you have to pay? If so, what is the best route?

Our local channel announced two minutes before the game that they wouldn't be broadcasting it due to "technical difficulties." I've been listening to in on the radio. Garrett Mills, Logan Payne, and Danny A. are all having great games.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

Kaptain

Master
Good questions. Of course we know the answer to why he is being picked on in practice while no other high draft choice RB has been.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Toby needs to lower his helmet to lay vicious hits on these affelets. I Hope the head coach childf**k will see whats going on and put an immediate halt to his unjustified, racist assualt on TG. I pray these savages don't go for his knees. F**king animals. What is worse are the white coaches just standing there looking and not protecting a player from unfair treatment. This is making my blood boil!!!!

Kaptain

Master
Here's rotoworld take on last nights game and Toby:

"Through two exhibitions, Gerhart's yards-per-carry average stands at 2.83, and he didn't pick up the blitz well against the 49ers. Gerhart appeared to essentially share second-team duties with Albert Young, who showed a touch more playmaking ability in space. The No. 2 running back spot is going to be Gerhart's, but he's looked like a pretty pedestrian runner thus far."

Albert Young through two games has 8 carries for 4 yard - a 0.5 YPC.
smiley36.gif

Adrian Peterson's YPC this preseason = 2.83! The exact same as Gerhart's!

You just can't make this stuff up, but rotoworld can.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Toby only had 4 carries last night. This is the preseason though and even starters end up struggling. Why all of a sudden do they say that the number 2 spot will be Toby's? They were singing a different tune a week ago.

Truthteller

Mentor
Rotoworld, which is owned byNBC,is run by a ultra-dorky "football sage" named Gregg Rosenthal*, wholooks like he can't lift a 50 pound dumb-bell, let alone pick-up a bliz in a league full of 12 year olds. Not sure how much he does in terms of content, but it seems like he's become a hot commodity for the networks. And it does appear he loves to humilate white players at every turn -- or at least spin everything towards the negative. On one link I saw, it claims he paired up doing commentary with a hot, All-American type on NBC.com.

Pure, predictable drivel to feed to the idiot DWF's. A whitey, bleached bimbo** in short skirts paired with a classic dweeb who knows the Marxist agenda inside and out. Sort of like the ESPN pairing of sissy Cowherd and Michelle Beadle. Rosenthal seems to be less clownish than Cowherd, so he's probablyfixing to be the next Joe Schad, Jay Glazer, Adam Schein or Adam Schefter. My guess is you'll see him spewing his hate on the major networks pretty soon
smiley16.gif

* http://www.facebook.com/people/Gregg-Rosenthal/1434575932

** http://www.sidelinehotties.com/images/2009/01/tiffany-simons-2.jpg

snow

Mentor
Kaptain Poop said:
Here's rotoworld take on last nights game and Toby:

"Through two exhibitions, Gerhart's yards-per-carry average stands at 2.83, and he didn't pick up the blitz well against the 49ers. Gerhart appeared to essentially share second-team duties with Albert Young, who showed a touch more playmaking ability in space. The No. 2 running back spot is going to be Gerhart's, but he's looked like a pretty pedestrian runner thus far."

Albert Young through two games has 8 carries for 4 yard - a 0.5 YPC.
smiley36.gif

Adrian Peterson's YPC this preseason = 2.83! The exact same as Gerhart's!

You just can't make this stuff up, but rotoworld can.

It didn't look like the Vikings were evaluating his rushing performance, he only got 4 carries. On the other side Dixon who has been getting praise had 20 rushes for 50 yards. It seems like they have been looking at his hands catching the ball and his ability to block in pass protection, which he looked fine at last night, I don't know where rotoworld comes up with this stuff. As far as showing better playmaking ability in space, Young's longest play this preseason has been 9 yards, last season his longest was 10 yards. This preseason Peterson's long is 13 Gerhart's is 22. Peterson screwed up in pass protection allowing Favre to get sacked. If Gerhart is so bad then why do they say the number 2 spot is his after saying Young was ahead of him the past few weeks? It sounds like they know some inside information but want to make Gerhart look as bad as possible. He hasn't been getting good blocking, except for the play that went for 22 yards, he has caught every catchable pass and has looked good in pass protection except for maybe one play.

Edited by: snow

First thing I noticed about Gregg Rosenthal is his last name which sounds 100% Jewish.

TwentyTwo

Master
Good ole Travaris Jackson missed Gerhart wide-open out in the flat early into his appearance...Favre would have easily got him the ball...could have been at least a 10 yard play.Edited by: TwentyTwo

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If Jerome Bettis can "star" in the NFL, Toby Gerhart CAN as well! He just needs the carries.

Frankly, without several carries, it's hard to show something, and, remember, Gerhart gets better as the game goes on! He's a workhorse, and he just needs to get warmed-up!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Stanford grad and Doak Walker winner Gerhart isn't ready to be a third down back even though running back is a position that rookies routinely start at in the NFL.
smiley29.gif
At any rate, I'll be very surprised if Adrian Peterson handles 400 touches without getting injured:

A Vikings official tells Len Pasquarelli of the Sports Xchange that the team's offense "definitely will have to change" following Sidney Rice's hip surgery.
Pasquarelli sends out a "fantasy football alert," projecting more carries and quite possibly more catches for Adrian Peterson. According to Pasquarelli, rookie Toby Gerhart "simply isn't ready to handle the third-down role" that will go to A.P. in his first season as an every-down back. Peterson could conceivably flirt with 400 touches this year. 50 receptions should be a cinch. Aug. 24 - 5:02 pm et

snow

Mentor
well, picking up the blitz in pass protection is one of the few things rookie backs struggle to do, but the IQ of the average running back is like what, 80? I know their wonderlic scores are often in the low teens. Toby is a Stanford grad and I don't think he would have trouble in pass protection and recognizing various things that defenses throw at him. I mean Adrian Peterson didn't look so great in pass protection the other night, allowing Favre to get sacked. Gerhart did fine. The runningback coach is making it seem like he has a long way to go with learning how to pick up blitzes and reading defenses. I find that very hard to believe. If he were borderline retarded maybe I could understand, but the guy just finished school with a degree in management science and engineering at one of the top universities in the nation. He was taking like 21 credit hours last semester and had a 3.25 gpa.

Gerhart on a 3rd down role

"I think the blitzes are a little more complicated," Gerhart said.
"People are moving around a little more."

and then this in the article : "Plus, nearly every play
the Vikings call in the huddle can be changed at the line of scrimmage depending on the defensive alignment. That essentially doubles the
amount of assignments Gerhart must remember"

Now that Toby has no other commitments besides football I doubt it would be hard for him to double the amount of stuff he has to remember on the field.

Childress seems to think he looks fine in pass protection but its the runningback coach who says he is not ready for being a 3rd down back.

"The last thing you want to do is throw a high draft pick in and assume
he can take on the challenge of being the third-down back,"

Isn't that what you get high draft picks for? to have immediate roles on the team?

I call bs on this. This happens to every white back, the longer you don't play them the more dwfs forget about how talented they are. Just look at Hester this year, still not going to get carries while injury prone Matthews from the WAC was drafted in the 1st round. Gerhart might have a chance, because I also don't think Peterson will be able to handle that many touches without injury.

It also doesn't make any sense as to why he has to be strictly a 3rd down back. Why not put him in occasionally on first and 2nd downs? They would rather run Peterson every down and shorten his career than divide the carries. Peterson was great as a rookie but his ypc has declined every year, and his fumbles have gone up. Last year you think his ypc would have increased with a passing attack, but it still declined.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good call on the bs, snow. What a predictable crock! Toby should be the third down back no questions asked. He should be spelling Peterson as well. In a way I hope they do run Peterson to death. Then, when he's injured, everyone will get to see how good Toby is. Of course, that helped Peyton Hillis a lot didn't it?
smiley5.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I remember how 12th pick in the '09 draft, Knowshon Moreno, was quickly inserted to be a starter despite getting injured in the pre-season and- if I recall- still being outplayed by '08 hero Hillis in efficiency once he returned. Somehow a mid 2nd round pick- who just won the award for college's best tailback who was drafted for the purpose of being Peterson's backup- can't get more carries than 4 in his second pre-season game and is somehow behind a nobody named Albert Young. Add to the fact that Gerhart has outperformed Young overall over the first two games.

Don't teams who draft a player high give him every chance possible to succeed ie. Knowshon Moreno? Moreno was outplayed by a dominant incumbant white man who was loved by many fans, yet Gerhart in a similar rookie situation is outperforming a no name- who is still somehow listed as 2nd string. I agree snow, the beer guzzling DWFs have short memories, but I do think that, maybe, a quarter of fans or so are starting to question the status quo due to things the NFL can't prevent right now, which is why this National Farce League is fighting even harder to keep most of them from seeing through their big lie- which could cause them to lose some fans and $$$.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Moreno is smaller than Toby at 210lbs and quite a bit slower with a 4.62 40 time yet has been given plenty of opportunities. Has anyone ever stated he might be too slow for the position? Absolutely not! Has the media mentioned he should be a fullback? Nope!!

Moreno will most likely be the starter again this year in Denver. All this despite the fact he only averaged 3.8 yards per carry last season.

JReb1

Mentor
<h2 style="font-size: 14px;">Toby Gerhart: Gerhart moving ahead of Albert Young?</h2>Rookie Toby Gerhart carried the ball seven times for 30 yards and caught
one pass for -1 yards against the Seahawks in Saturday's exhibition
game.
Gerhart had a nice fourth-down conversion,
but the Vikings probably want to scrap any plans of using him in the
screen game. Though he's yet to show any big-play ability, Gerhart
appears to have moved ahead of Albert Young (five rushes, 12 yards) on
the depth chart. Gerhart played with the first-team offense while Young
came on to play with Tarvaris Jackson.</font>

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&amp;id=5730&amp;line=179632&amp;spln=1

smiley6.gif

snow

Mentor
He had a 22 yard run earlier in the preseason, and it was against the Ram's first team defense while the Vikings had their 2nd string out there (except for the center). That is 2 yards less than Peterson's biggest rush this preseason. 1 20+ yard play on 19 carries for an entire preseason behind poor blocking is pretty good. Young only got negative yardage against the same first team offense, but for the first series he had his first stringers blocking.

So screw rotoworld with their bs. "Though he hasn't shown big play ability he has moved above Young" So he has shown a big play and Young hasn't shown a damn thing. The Vikings gave Young every opportunity in the world to win the spot the first 2 preseason games and he did absolutely nothing with it. No big plays, I think his biggest play was 9 yards this preseason. I am pretty sure his longest play in the NFL is 10 yards. He is averaging 1.2 ypc this preseason, and had negative ypc when they let him run with the first team in the first preseason game. Gerhart has the highest ypc out of all of them (Peterson and Young)

and then rotoworld has to insert more crap, "scrap any idea of using him in the screen game" None of the backs would have gotten decent yardage on the passes he was thrown (I didn't see the game last night, but the other preseason games). Young didn't do any better, I think his longest pass play was 8 yards and Gerhart's was 7. Screens have to be executed properly, and there is no reason why Gerhart wouldn't be able to take a screen to the house if his blockers are following the assignments and the play is well set up. The Saints are an example are an example of this, they run tons of screens and dump off passes to Bush/Thomas. Slow and small Pierre Thomas has broken off long runs on properly executed screens, he took one to the house this preseason because it was well designed, executed properly and called at the right time. But then, there are times when its not executed right or the wrong call for the situation and not even Reggie Bush can get positive yardage (Reggie can't run up the middle but he is great at making people miss and running in space, one of the better receiving backs and has taken plenty of passes for long gains). There is no reason why Gerhart who is bigger and faster than Thomas wouldn't be able to do the same thing. Dump off passes are the same way, it has to be the right situation for it to go far. It seems like some of the passes Gerhart got thrown his way were just to see if he can catch it, because he had several defenders surrounding him on some of the ones I remember. I don't recall any of them being well set up unless they wanted Gerhart to drag several defenders for as long as possible.

qj

Guru
Gerhart would do very well as an outlet guy and on screen plays. He can outmaneuver most linebackers and diesel any safety or cornerback in the league. Honestly, do you 180-200 pounders out there really want to take on Gerhart mano-y-mano? The guy moves very well and can really punish a defense when he wants to. And, unlike many other players--we know who--he's got good hands and isn't a whiner or crier. I would like to see A.P. run the defense ragged in the first half. Then have Gerhart finish them off in the second half with punishing runs.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
From Rotoworld:

pixel.gif

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday that he considers Toby Gerhart
and Albert Young, respectively, his "2 and 2A" tailbacks.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
Gerhart got the majority if first-team snaps in Saturday's exhibition,
but Chilly indicated a timeshare would ensue if Adrian Peterson went
down due to injury. Most likely, Gerhart would dominate early-down
carries and all goal-line work in that scenario. Young would pick up
slack on third downs.
</div>

backrow

Hall of Famer
and what exactly has Young shown to be even 2a? this guy doesn't belong in the NFL! i am sure that if Peterson goes down he will gradually play himself out of any time share...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Rotoworld makes me sick anyway, but the use of such infantile negro-esque nicknames takes the cake. Another great example of the Caste System though, this situation with Young and Gerhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.