Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsept

Master
Gerhart's run was a straight burst of speed through the hole and then up the sideline. He ran away from London Fletcher, who gave up after realizing he wasn't going to catch him. One d-back had an angle and I think Toby was focused on that when the cornerback poked the ball out from behind. I don't believe either would have tackled him before the end zone. Toby needed that run to shut some people up who say he can't make the big play.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Gerhart's run was a straight burst of speed through the hole and then up the sideline. He ran away from London Fletcher, who gave up after realizing he wasn't going to catch him. One d-back had an angle and I think Toby was focused on that when the cornerback poked the ball out from behind. I don't believe either would have tackled him before the end zone. Toby needed that run to shut some people up who say he can't make the big play.
Unfortunately, reading some dwfs posts, they don't think it was a big play since it wasn't a td. Like other elite backs get a homerun every single time they get a hole. Looking at highlights even Chris Johnson gets caught from behind when going long distances. AP gets caught quite often.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-mcl-tear-opens-door-for-toby-gehart-to-shine

"Gerhart is a versatile back and just as dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield as he is plowing up the middle.
The one attribute he doesn’t possess is the potential to bust a big play that Peterson was known for. You could see this on display when Gerhart was caught from behind at the 8-yard line yesterday, after going 67-yardsto nearly find pay dirt."

I don't know when a 67 yard run stopped being considered a big play?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately, reading some dwfs posts, they don't think it was a big play since it wasn't a td. Like other elite backs get a homerun every single time they get a hole. Looking at highlights even Chris Johnson gets caught from behind when going long distances. AP gets caught quite often.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-mcl-tear-opens-door-for-toby-gehart-to-shine

"Gerhart is a versatile back and just as dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield as he is plowing up the middle.
The one attribute he doesn’t possess is the potential to bust a big play that Peterson was known for. You could see this on display when Gerhart was caught from behind at the 8-yard line yesterday, after going 67-yardsto nearly find pay dirt."

I don't know when a 67 yard run stopped being considered a big play?

Weenieworld is now calling Gerhart an "above average" backup. That's certainly better than their tone a few weeks ago but still disrespectful.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The caste media will never give White athletes the credit they deserve, just as caste coaches will never give White athletes the opportunities they deserve. Par for the course, although it never ceases to be frustrating.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Weenieworld called Gerhart "far from a special talent" after his big game on Sunday. Interesting that a Doak Walker Award winner and second place finisher in the Heisman Trophy voting who is averaging an impressive 4.5 yards per carry during his 2 years in the NFL still isn't conceded to have major talent. A black runner who wins the Doak Walker is feted for years and considered to have lots of upside no matter how uninspiring his performance (Bubble Butt Ron Dayne comes to mind, as does Mark Ingram this year but it will be years before anyone calls Ingram a bust or even "far from a special talent").

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Toby averaged 4.0yds/att. last year and 4.9yds/att this year. seems to be getting better and I believe he ran a 4.55 40, while Ingram ran a 4.62 40, while averaging a meager 3.9yds./att., and is 2 carries/ a 20yd. run and a 35 yd. run away from avg. 3.4yds/att. as a rookie on a much better New Orleans team!

Toby is obviously the faster, stronger, better RB, let's hope it plays out for him either in Minneapolis or somewhere else!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Toby averaged 4.0yds/att. last year and 4.9yds/att this year. seems to be getting better and I believe he ran a 4.55 40, while Ingram ran a 4.62 40, while averaging a meager 3.9yds./att., and is 2 carries/ a 20yd. run and a 35 yd. run away from avg. 3.4yds/att. as a rookie on a much better New Orleans team!

Toby is obviously the faster, stronger, better RB, let's hope it plays out for him either in Minneapolis or somewhere else!

Gerhart's official 40 time is 4.53. That's not super fast but it's certainly above average for a 230lb powerback. I'm pretty sure that among 230lb plus backs in the NFL Gerhart is one of the fastest. Guys like Ron Dayne and Jerome Bettis all ran 4.6 or slower.

It looks like Toby will start a few games at the beginning of next season as well.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier admitted everything will need to go "perfectly" for Adrian Peterson to play in Week 1 of next season.

The exact damage to Peterson's knee won't be known until after surgery, but we know he at least tore his ACL and MCL. The normal rehab for that kind of injury is 8-10 months. The Vikings are going to espouse positive rhetoric on their franchise player, but he's a strong candidate to open the 2012 season on the PUP list.

Last edited:

foobar75

Master
Weenieworld is now calling Gerhart an "above average" backup. That's certainly better than their tone a few weeks ago but still disrespectful.

Good, so Gerhart has now graduated from "slow-footed" to "above average", which means hopefully the campaign against him is over for now.

Gerhart can be an elite back, with elite defined as a RB who can consistently gain 1000+ yards per season, with a 4.5-5ypc and 10+ TDs. He also needs to have the ability to pick-up blitzes and catch balls out of the backfield, which Gerhart has clearly demonstrated time and again with the limited chances he's gotten.

He's not going anywhere next season, but it's a golden opportunity to at least get a few starts and have an increased role, which will be an audition for his services in 2013 when he can get out of that rookie contract. Who knows, he may become the man in MIN depending on how things work out with Peterson.

backrow

Hall of Famer
other than trade of AP, that's pretty much a dream scenario for Toby. AP won't be back until October at best, and even then he'd have to be eased in, with limited snaps. and there's still a question of whether he can fully regain his ability, which is not a given, him being a good athlete non-withstanding. let's see what Gerhart does with that chance, but damn, next season can mark the first time in 25 years or so when we'll have 2 starting white running-backs (it's a travesty that Woodhead isn't a starter, even in BB's committee approach, although he did start a few games, 4 or 5 so far)

devans

Mentor
What is wrong with Toby so that he is incapable of running. NFL.com describes his last two major runs thus...

Published: Dec. 24, 2011 at 03:14 p.m
Vikings RB Toby Gerhart rumbles down field for a huge 67-yard gain getting Minnesota in scoring range.

Published: Dec. 18, 2011 at 04:08 p.m.
Vikings RB Toby Gerhart finds the end zone for the second time today on a pass from QB Christian Ponder, then rumbles for 16 yards and a Minnesota touchdown

I looked at the video, and couldn't quite spot what this this rumbling is, so looked up the condition in the dictionary...

Rumble "To make or cause to make a deep resonant sound".

I suppose that is understandable when you are 220lbs and going that fast.

I think however castefootball should publish its alternative dictionary so this, and many other of these worn out phrases, can be really defined.

RUMBLE "A white football player slowly stumbling or shuffling down a football field clutching a football. Similar to 'running' but not as fast or athletic. (Can also apply to a black player provided he is an offensive lineman and at least 350lbs)

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
My hope is that Peterson's surgery and rehab go poorly so he misses a big chunk of next year, giving Gerhart the chance to put up big numbers.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
My hope is that Peterson's surgery and rehab go poorly so he misses a big chunk of next year, giving Gerhart the chance to put up big numbers.

Ditto. (g)A(y)P is a overhyped. Too bad he didn't tear up his knee 4-5 games earlier this year.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The only reason he is thought of as deceptively fast is because most sheeple don't think Whites are fast, which is complete and utter hogwash.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some flattery from Lance Briggs:

Dec. 29, 2011 3:03 p.m. - by Gene Chamberlain - Briggs: Vikes won't miss a step with Gerhart LB Lance Briggs "unique" spin on Vikings RB Toby Gerhart: "I think he is a tough-nosed running back, can do a lot for the offense, and I don’t think they miss much of a step putting him in and not having Adrian Peterson. Even when Adrian Peterson went out last week, it seemed like their offense picked it up even more."

icsept

Master
Toby improved in every phase from his rookie season. Significantly, he showed his big play ability with his long run of 67 yards and reception of 42 yards compared to last years longs of 21 and 23 yards, respectively. He lost 3 fumbles as rookie and zero this season, with 30 more touches. The future is bright for Toby, although probably not in Minnesota. He will be stuck behind Peterson again next season. They probably won't trade him, because he has proven to be a valuable back-up and now Peterson's ongoing health will be an issue.

Also, apparently he sustained a sprained mcl against the Bears. Don't know the severity, but he has the whole off-season to recover.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Toby can improve on those numbers next season. I agree that he probably won't leave Minnesota anytime soon, but I think Peterson is going to be a fading shooting star over the next few seasons and Toby will get more and more use. Maybe he can end up with a 1,000 yard season at some point. He is building his reputation one year at a time and I believe he will be used significantly as long as he doesn't have serious injury issues.

JReb1

Mentor
Vikings' Gerhart doesn't think he'll need surgery

Minnesota Vikings running back Toby Gerhart, whose importance heightens in light of Adrian Peterson's rehab from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, doesn't think he'll need surgery to repair the torn medial collateral ligament in his left knee.
"Swelling should go down with rest as my range of motion returns," said Gerhart Tuesday night when reached by phone.

A shot from safety Major Wright in the third quarter knocked Gerhart out of Sunday's 17-13 loss. Gerhart thought he sprained his MCL at the time.

Coach Leslie Frazier said Tuesday Gerhart would be re-examined before determining whether surgery is required. Gerhart stepped up in four starts while Peterson nursed ankle and knee injuries, finishing the season with 531 rushing yards on 109 attempts and four touchdowns, including three receiving.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19674332

I hope and pray Toby is okay and good to go next season so he can shine in AP's absence.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Great year for Toby. This sort of makes up for the average years Hillis and Woodhead had after MONSTER years last year. The biggest part of running the ball in the NFL is play calling, run blocking and having a good enough passing attack to keep teams from stacking the box. Hillis didn't have the benefit of having any of this go his way.

Also note that Gerhart finished the year with a longer longest run and better YPC than Peterson. The Vikings were foolish to give a 100 million contract to a RB even considering Peterson is top 5 in the league when you have a back as good as Toby backing him up who can come in without a drop in efficiency (although he's a different kind of runner). Considering Gerhart's PCL tear in his left knee, IMO he should get reconstructive surgury. I think Peterson will miss the 1st few games with that severe type of injury and should be eased back in, so hopefully Toby will shine in the 1st 3rd of the season and earn more playing time keeping Peterson fresh going forth.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Great year for Toby. This sort of makes up for the average years Hillis and Woodhead had after MONSTER years last year. The biggest part of running the ball in the NFL is play calling, run blocking and having a good enough passing attack to keep teams from stacking the box. Hillis didn't have the benefit of having any of this go his way.

Also note that Gerhart finished the year with a longer longest run and better YPC than Peterson. The Vikings were foolish to give a 100 million contract to a RB even considering Peterson is top 5 in the league when you have a back as good as Toby backing him up who can come in without a drop in efficiency (although he's a different kind of runner). Considering Gerhart's PCL tear in his left knee, IMO he should get reconstructive surgury. I think Peterson will miss the 1st few games with that severe type of injury and should be eased back in, so hopefully Toby will shine in the 1st 3rd of the season and earn more playing time keeping Peterson fresh going forth.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but welcome back Tough.

backrow

Hall of Famer
roto:

Coach Leslie Frazier indicated that RB Toby Gerhart earned a bigger role going forward with his success as a ball-carrier late in the 2011 season.

"He really did a great job for us and showed us that he is worthy of more carries," said Frazier. "We want to be able to get him more involved in our offense going forward." He could even enter the season as the starter with Adrian Peterson battling back from major reconstructive knee surgery. Gerhart will have to be drafted in all fantasy leagues.
Related: Adrian Peterson

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I doubt Hillis will get the chance to carry the ball enough for another 1000+ yard season, so I'm hoping that Gerhart gets the chance to do so next year.

dwid

Hall of Famer
roto:

Coach Leslie Frazier indicated that RB Toby Gerhart earned a bigger role going forward with his success as a ball-carrier late in the 2011 season.

"He really did a great job for us and showed us that he is worthy of more carries," said Frazier. "We want to be able to get him more involved in our offense going forward." He could even enter the season as the starter with Adrian Peterson battling back from major reconstructive knee surgery. Gerhart will have to be drafted in all fantasy leagues.
Related: Adrian Peterson

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

I try to stay optomistic but I just don't trust Frazier. I find it odd that he barely gave Doug Martin and Chris Polk any playing time in the Senior Bowl (he was the coach), two backs that are very likely go in the 2nd round (I doubt the Vikings can justify another 2nd round pick on a rb) and gave most of the snaps to Isiah Pead and Dan Herron, both guys that are projected from the 3rd to the 4th. I could see the Vikings drafting a back in the mid rounds and try to force him in there with Gerhart never truly getting an opportunity to be an every down back, even in Peterson's absence.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a very nice article on Gerhart.

Minnesota Vikings: Why and How They Will Utilize Toby Gerhart Next Season

By Nicolas Manzanares

It is a little known fact that Toby Gerhart is one of the most decorated football players to ever play high school football. He set the record for rushing yards in California history and has the third-most yardage of any high school player to ever don a helmet.

While at Stanford, Gerhart has held the record for most rushing yards in a season, most touchdowns in a season and most touchdowns in a career. He came in second to Mark Ingram in the closest Heisman vote in college football history.

Gerhart has succeeded wherever he has played, and Vikings' fans can expect an extended role from Gerhart next season. With Adrian Peterson in question due to a significant knee injury, Gerhart will need to step up and rise to the occasion. While he may not yet be the feature back, you can bet he will be splitting the carries with Peterson more evenly.

While not quite as fast as Peterson, Gerhart is rarely ever knocked backwards, and is almost a guaranteed 4-5 yards every time he touches the ball—on top of that, he's no slow poke. When Peterson went down with the knee injury Gerhart came into the game and gashed the Redskins for a 67-yard run—the longest of the season for any ball carrier on the Vikings' roster.

Wherever Gerhart has gone, he has faced challenges and skepticism. But he always answers the naysayers the same way—by carrying the ball above and beyond expectation.

There is no reason to believe Gerhart won't succeed next year. He has the speed, power and determination to make him one of the more complete backs in the NFL today. So expect to see a whole lot more of number 32 next year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...innesota-vikings-will-utilize-him-next-season

Status
Not open for further replies.