Toby Gerhart

Status
Not open for further replies.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
That is a very interesting stat, JReb1! This lends even more credence to our argument that White RBs are as dependable and productive as anyone. It also helps shatter the myth that the best players are on the field and the belief that there is no caste system holding skilled White players back. 
White running backs were always considered dependable. I recall the annual Sporting News guide describing Dan Doornink(Seattle fullback/tailback) as Mr. Dependable who could do everything. Back in the late 70's to early 80's many White backs were described like this.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I specifically remember Doornink breaking off a 80 yard TD run. Howard Cossell says "And there! Doornink, a reject, gets the run of his life" or words to that effect. The run and Cossell's caste musings were seared into my memory, and how the media loved to mock White Men.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
How about that Toby Gerhart, finding a little work in his spare time?
smiley1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9C80OIuTHQ

dwid

Hall of Famer
Nice article, some common sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MW6B03KUbs

Thats from his rookie season. He looks much quicker than when he was playing at Stanford. He could definitely replace Peterson and the offense wouldn't miss a beat. If he was able to get more carries in a game he would break off longer runs. That 21 yard run as soon as he broke it off Chris Collinsworth was blabbering "now if that was Adrian Peterson that would've been a td" immediately discrediting Gerhart. If that were a td it wouldve been 80 yards, something Peterson did once last year out of over 300+ rushes/receptions. Only two plays over 40 yards and not many more over 30, most of his big runs were in the 20 yard range. The linebacker had a good angle, and Toby is just as fast as Peterson for that first 10 to 20 yards, that is what slowed him down to allow the db to tackle him, the same thing wouldve happened to Peterson. Ive noticed that they gave him quite a few carries out of the fullback spot, I am not sure why because the guy lined up at tailback hardly ever got the ball, it was just a formation screaming that Gerhart was going up the middle, yet he managed to get a td and bounce it to the outside for a nice gain because the middle was clogged up.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It would be nice to see Gerhart become the man in Minnesota. Gerhart has a lot of the same qualities of Hillis as a runner. He'd have big shoes to fill if Peterson left via FA or was traded to save cap space. DWFs might be hard on him quickly if there was any noticeable drop in Minnesota's rushing production. However, I think Gerhart has the will to fight through the caste system now with Hillis and Woodhead as examples! :high5:

JReb1

Mentor
I have NO DOUT that at some point Gerhart will be a top 10 (probably 5) RB in the NFL. Toby is way to talented and well known to be hidden away and then discarded like SO many White RB's have been in the last 25-35 years. Hillis and Woodhead have busted the door WIDE open last year on the ridiculously manufactured myth that only loose hipped negroes were the only players who had the ability to be a star RB...

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The Vikings just reported to camp yesterday, one of the last teams to open camp, so no news as of yet.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i like the guy's reply to this blog; complete with a nice video of Toby.

i like the guy's reply to this blog; complete with a nice video of Toby.

Barack Obama 2012 banner ads in the Gerhart CF highlight video... I you get no choice of what gets advertised. Hopefully people will watch the video and see a powerful white running back, and compare him to the weak black president. Lot's of irony there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like some of Gerhart's "teammates" still resent him. From a report on Day 8 of the Vikings training camp:

Toby Gerhart: Second-year running back continues to be a target for defenders, as he was as a rookie last year at camp. This time, safety Husain Abdullah broadsided him hard during a run up the middle.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18648024?source=most_viewed

Highlander

Mentor
Pretty Decent and Mostly Positive Article on Gerhart

After proving himself to fellow Vikings during his rookie year, Toby Gerhart is ready to prove himself to fans

By Jeremy Fowler
Updated: 08/11/2011 12:08:33 AM CDT

Toby Gerhart goes through drills at training camp Aug. 3 in Mankato.
The second-year Vikings running back said he's more comfortable with
veteran players this year.
(Pioneer Press: John Doman)

Toby Gerhart must clarify one thing. The Vikings running back wasn't simply hit during last year's training camp.

"Laid out a few times, actually," Gerhart said. "At the time, I was like, 'God, everybody's out for my number.'"

Pat Williams did the honors, bursting through the rushing lane to greet Gerhart with a few shoulder shots to the ground.

Gerhart spent most of his rookie year trying to get up. Despite glimpses of promise as a durable power back, Gerhart's 2010 campaign will be remembered more for three lost fumbles than 322 rushing yards or 21 receptions.

Not many players needed Year 2 to arrive more than Gerhart, a second-round draft pick in 2010 who no longer has to clamor for the respect of his teammates.

Gerhart has quietly worked to improve, bracing for his role as the change-of-pace back to Adrian Peterson on third down and in pass protection.

No longer overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL game, Gerhart said he can play with the liberation that helped him become a Heisman Trophy runner-up at Stanford. Gerhart dropped an easy screen pass earlier this week but has been consistent for most of camp.

"I think I'm much more confident, much more friendly, of course, with all the vets and everything else, hanging out with the guys instead of kind of being that isolated rookie," Gerhart said. "This past year, I was a little hesitant, a step slow, kind of thinking too much. This year I'm just relaxing, playing, doing what I always did."

The Vikings have a veteran locker room that expects rookies to work hard and not complain. The training camp hits are to welcome rookies, veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield said, even though this year's camp has been lighter because of new collective bargaining agreement rules.

Apparently Gerhart has passed the necessary locker room tests in the last year.
"He goes out there, does his job, doesn't complain, works hard every time he gets on the field," Winfield said. "We need him. He produced a little bit for us last year."

Gerhart reflects on his rookie training camp as a chance to learn as the Vikings wanted to discover early whether the reputation of the 231-pound back matched the heart.

"Some of the guys, later on they said they just wanted to see what I had," Gerhart said. "It was kind of a test-the-waters sort of thing because they knew I'd be a guy that was going to be with them down the road, and they wanted to see what kind of guy I was."

Fans could see more of Gerhart, too, especially if the Vikings follow through on plans to preserve Peterson's health after 1,198 carries in four years.

Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave calls Gerhart "awfully sharp." After his rocky start, perhaps absorbing Musgrave's new offense should be a minimal test for Gerhart.

"He has a different running style than Adrian, but we're going to do a good job of keeping Adrian fresh and getting Toby on the field," Musgrave said.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18656610?source=pkg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From Weenieworld:

The Star-Tribune suggests that Toby Gerhart may lose his third-down role this season. The Brad Childress regime saw third downs as a chance for Gerhart to get on the field. But the new Leslie Frazier staff apparently sees Gerhart as a strict power back that will simply back up Adrian Peterson on early downs. While Gerhart remains Peterson's handcuff, Lorenzo Booker is looking like the passing down option.

ALBINO RHINO

From Weenieworld:

The Star-Tribune suggests that Toby Gerhart may lose his third-down role this season. The Brad Childress regime saw third downs as a chance for Gerhart to get on the field. But the new Leslie Frazier staff apparently sees Gerhart as a strict power back that will simply back up Adrian Peterson on early downs. While Gerhart remains Peterson's handcuff, Lorenzo Booker is looking like the passing down option.

I hate the way this is setting up for Toby. Booker got a lot of time in the first game and I was hoping it was because he was new to the system, but after reading this, I wish Toby was traded to a new regime.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a better article.

Gerhart pays dues, learns from it

The lesson came with unexpected force, enough that you might understand if Toby Gerhart didn't remember it. Or, at the very least, had tried to forget it.

But he does remember.

Last summer, at his first NFL training camp practice, he learned the difference between college and the pros.

Practice was in shells -- helmet and shoulder pads. Gerhart ran out of the backfield, caught a screen pass. Enter defensive tackle Pat Williams.

"I turned and he just de-cleated me," Gerhart said after Monday's Vikings practice at Winter Park. He was smiling at the memory. Really. "I was like, 'We're not even in full pads.' It was ... I didn't know what to expect."

Now, he does. And that is making all the difference as Gerhart tries to carve out a larger role as the backup to star running back Adrian Peterson.

A season ago Gerhart came out of Stanford as a second-round draft pick with gaudy numbers and a reputation for being a power runner. For the first weeks of training camp, the veterans made sure he paid his dues. Williams clobbered him early and often, then talked at length about it. This wasn't college anymore, he said. Time to test the college kid. There was a scuffle with defensive end Ray Edwards. At times it looked as if Gerhart had a horn on his helmet and a target on his back.

Gerhart holds no nostalgia for that camp. Nor does he have any lasting bruises, either literal or figurative. But he will tell you that going through it all made him stronger.

"I was known for being a power runner, and I got tested, early and often, in training camp," he said. "There were dues to be paid, evidently. And I feel I grew from that."
A year ago, by his own admission, Gerhart was a bit tentative, perhaps slowed by the thought process of becoming an NFL back. He recalls obsessing about his footwork, every little detail. He remembers counting his steps while running routes. "I was being really robotic," he said. "You know, one, two, counting my steps rather than just playing football like I've always done."

This time, Gerhart said, it's different. He says he's more relaxed, confident.

Will that translate into more opportunity? It always will be difficult playing behind Peterson. And while the previous coaching regime might have groomed Gerhart as a third-down back, he appears to be penciled in as Peterson's power-running backup. Indeed, Lorenzo Booker could emerge as a third-down option.

Still, with offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave's dedication to the run, there should be opportunity. Gerhart also could see some snaps while on the field with Peterson. It's up to Gerhart to prove he's ready.

"Toby came back in much better shape than his rookie year, when he wasn't sure what NFL football was like," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "He's running with great authority. He reminds you much more now of what he did in college, the way he attacks the hole. He has a real good run in [Saturday's game, a 9-yarder]. We have high hopes for Toby really being able to help us in that backup role."

That might be why Gerhart is more relaxed and more confident. Having already paid his dues helps, too.

"It was about stepping in there, keeping your mouth shut and playing," linebacker Chad Greenway said. "He did that very well. ... We've seen marked improvement from him from camp to camp."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/127800518.html

dwid

Hall of Famer
I doubt Gerhart is going to lose any touches to Booker. If he is still taking snaps from Toby after the first 2 games then I don't see how some dwfs can't question it. Booker is below mediocre. He is a fringe NFL player. He is the reason why I think guys like Chase Reynolds and even Luke Lippincott could be successful in the NFL. Ranked at the number 3 prospect of that year coming out of high school, his best season at Florida state was 887 yards rushing with 160 receiving with a total 4 touchdowns, that was his sophomore year and his production declined every year. With this production he was drafted in the 3rd round. He has been out of college since 07, spent one year in the UFL after bouncing around NFL teams. He is on the thin side at 190 pounds at 5'11. That would be an acceptable weight if he were 5'9 or shorter. Do they seriously think he can pick up the blitz? He isn't a threat to hit the homerun either. His longest play from scrimmage on 87 rush/rec is 22 yards and that was in 2007 before he had some injuries. Last year he had 5 receptions for 32 yards, a long of 7!

foobar75

Master
I don't look at this as a direct negative for Gerhart. I think it's better to be #2 on the depth chart and the primary back-up to Peterson. Last year, on 3rd downs, Gerhart hardly received any carries, and other than having an occasional pass thrown his way, was mostly out there for pass protection. Let Booker handle that role, and hopefully Gerhart will receive 10-15 carries a game, depending on how they plan on using AP, of course. Lots of teams have employed a very effective 2-man running attack, and I hope MIN can do the same.

Who knows, if AP's durability comes into question, then Gerhart might actually start some games and even threaten 1000yds rushing (a somewhat remote possibility now but things could change).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Toby Gerhart Looks Strong Behind Adrian Pet erson

Selected in the second round of the 2010 NFL draft by the Minnesota Vikings and following a stellar career at Stanford University, running back Toby Gerhart entered his rookie season a year ago with high expectations. However, Gerhart's career started off a little slow, rushing for just one touchdown and 322 total yards during his rookie campaign.

Disappointed with how 2010 played out, Gerhart enters this season much more comfortable and prepared to be a suitable and an impact backup to star running back Adrian Peterson. So far, Gerhart has looked sharp in preseason and training camp, notably displaying pretty footwork and good run blocking ability. After getting hit a lot by his own teammates in practices last season, Gerhart spent the offseason working on his speed as well.

With Adrian Peterson missing a few days early on in training camp due to the birth of his son, Gerhart was able to get a number of extra reps with the starters, something that will likely benefit the second-year player.

Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave intends to revolve much of the offense around Adrian Peterson, but has plans for Gerhart in the mix as well. With both players having different skill sets, Musgrave has created plays designed specifically for Gerhart that will compliment his abilities.

Although the Vikings are still rebuilding and enter this season with a new quarterback and a completely different look to their offense, the running back position should be one that the team does not have to worry about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...cking-peterson

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hillis, Woodhead, Kuhn and Gerhart. All four of them are receiving considerably less carries than last season. This is the NFL way; it happens all the time when White receivers do well.

In Toby's case, he's being used so little that wide receiver Percy Harvin has four more carries than him so far.

The headline for this article is misleading, because nowhere in it is there any indication from anyone in the Vikings organization that Gerhart "might" get more carries.

It's pure speculation by the writer, nothing more.

Minnesota Vikings team report: Toby Gerhart might see more carries

The Vikings have the best running back in the league. They also have the running back that gets the least amount of help from his backup.

Adrian Peterson’s 146 carries is 134 more than No. 2 back Toby Gerhart. That’s the biggest discrepancy in the NFL. The Falcons (122), Jaguars (105) and Bears are the only other teams that have more than a 100-carry difference between their starter and their No. 2 running back.

Peterson is young at 26 and wants the ball as many times as possible. But during a lost season that stands at 1-6 heading into Sunday’s game at Carolina, the Vikings should start thinking about whether it’s worth feeding Peterson at a pace that would give him 334 carries, the second-highest total of his career behind the 363 he had in 2008.

Especially when they invested a 2010 second-round pick in Gerhart. At this point, Gerhart has fewer carries (12) than receiver Percy Harvin (16). Gerhart averages 1.7 carries per game and averages 6.2 yards per carry. He’ll never get a lot of carries with Peterson healthy, but could use a few more just to take some wear and tear off Peterson during a season that hasn’t started well and won’t finish anywhere near the playoffs.

full article: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...am-report-toby-gerhart-might-see-more-carries

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
How about a mention on how dumb ass completely bat sh!t insane it was to use a valuable 2nd round draft pick on a position you were set at and had no intention of using the guy you selected as the back-up?? A couple of years later the team sucks. Where is that simple reporting at in Minnesota? This whole wasting of the career of Toby Gerhart is enough to make one think of bigunreal style conspiracies.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I drafted Toby to my fantasy team for several reasons, even though I figured he wouldn't get a lot of carries until Peterson went down with an injury. It really does stink that he is being used so little this season.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I believe it will come down to the same thing Don mentioned about Hillis for Gerhart. Right now he's stuck and when this contract is up he needs to get signed for starter money by some other team. Then he will have an opportunity. The thing is will a team sign him for starter money? I'm sure quite a few gm's in the league see him as nothing more than a fullback thanks to all the ridiculous scouting reports on him coming out of college and the wisdom of the DWFs. He's only 24 and still has plenty of time to become a starter but hopefully he doesn't end up like Travis Jervey and others.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Starter money??!!?? Are you serious? You have been around here long enough to know that unless Peterson gets injured and Gerhart comes in and plays at a high level his career is OVER. There is no other team that will sign him for anything other then summer practice fodder. Nobody cares that he was good in college now. That's all forgotten. That's the way it works. Think Matt Jones, who actually had some decent games. After a white skill position player leaves the team that they started with or had a decent season there career is over. They might kick around a little but as for realizing the potential they had at college--forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.