Tim Tebow

SchaafC

Guru
Wow! To say that Tim is not making a positive impact on behalf of the Lord is to not be paying attention!

And you don't think that that takes away from him at all? They are trying to find any excuse that they can to account for his success. Saying that "it's god's hand" that has helped him, in my opinion is just as insulting as saying that "he has deceptive speed" or any of the other monikers that are used to describe white players. And who cares if he is having a impact on behalf of the lord? How exactly does that help the cause of the white player? I see plenty of praise to god, and no where near enough white players.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
And you don't think that that takes away from him at all? They are trying to find any excuse that they can to account for his success. Saying that "it's god's hand" that has helped him, in my opinion is just as insulting as saying that "he has deceptive speed" or any of the other monikers that are used to describe white players. And who cares if he is having a impact on behalf of the lord? How exactly does that help the cause of the white player? I see plenty of praise to god, and no where near enough white players.
And I thought I was cynical! I doubt that he would ever be given serious credit by anyone in the mainstream about having "God's hand" helping him. That would be far more remarkable than having him being credited for having amazing athletic ability and skill! His chief detractors hate him primarily because of his in-your-face faith, since they have none.

And although we do not proselytize in CF forums, many of us here care a great deal if Tim is having a genuine positive impact for the Lord Jesus, as it is a command for Christians.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
And I thought I was cynical! I doubt that he would ever be given serious credit by anyone in the mainstream about having "God's hand" helping him. That would be far more remarkable than having him being credited for having amazing athletic ability and skill! His chief detractors hate him primarily because of his in-your-face faith, since they have none.

And although we do not proselytize in CF forums, many of us here care a great deal if Tim is having a genuine positive impact for the Lord Jesus, as it is a command for Christians.

Here here! :thumb:

SchaafC

Guru

I would say that a starting linebacker on an NFL team would have to be considered fairly mainstream. And do you really think that people like Bill Mahar or any of the other comedians and non-sports related talking heads matter? They may be the most outspoken or "chief" of his detractors, but hardly the ones that genuinely influence the opinions of the sports world. There are tons of players that represent their faith, and are not mocked or despised for it.

Anyway my contention is that it's not his faith, but the way he plays the position of QB that creates the detractors that really matter not the ones that despise him for his faith.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Let's remember that regaurding God helping Tebow that the MSM sports media is NEVER going to say anything like that. Any mention of God in regard to Tebow has to be as a joke since to the collective mind of the CM's God doesn't exist except maybe to bless gay marriages.

This is being said by a black player who probably has some of that ol time religion like many black players, the same ones that kneel and prey at mid field with Tebow after the game. Also perhaps many of his black teammates who grew up with Tebow like believers around them. That more then help from the man upstairs may have more to do with his success then anything else.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I would say that a starting linebacker on an NFL team would have to be considered fairly mainstream. And do you really think that people like Bill Mahar or any of the other comedians and non-sports related talking heads matter? They may be the most outspoken or "chief" of his detractors, but hardly the ones that genuinely influence the opinions of the sports world. There are tons of players that represent their faith, and are not mocked or despised for it.

Anyway my contention is that it's not his faith, but the way he plays the position of QB that creates the detractors that really matter not the ones that despise him for his faith.
The linebacker making the comment is not "MSM", so no, it doesn't qualify. Besides that, he didn't use Tebow's faith as a qualifier to diminish Tim's ability. And as for the the perception of Tebow by the population at large, unlike other athletes who make a show of "faith", Tebow's identity is his faith. The only other example I can think of that would have the same identity would have been the late Reggie White. He wasn't ridiculed because a black "reverend" in the minds of the MSM = Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, so Reggie was good.

Besides all of that, we've already had this debate in this thread. I actually was a proponent of your point of view in the debate. Scroll back through earlier posts and look it up.

SchaafC

Guru
...Besides that, he didn't use Tebow's faith as a qualifier to diminish Tim's ability.......Besides all of that, we've already had this debate in this thread. I actually was a proponent of your point of view in the debate. Scroll back through earlier posts and look it up.

Fair enough.
FootballDad, I have some very opinionated views on this matter specifically; that apparently I have already rehashed. Although I couldn't find them in this thread. Was it under my old ID Chris8812?
I do apologize if I offended you by my post, that was not my intent.
I respect the belief's of Tebow, and firmly believe that he would not be the man he is today without them.

backrow

Hall of Famer
is John a believer yet?

VP of Football Operations John Elway says he regrets saying in a November interview that the Broncos weren't any closer to finding their franchise quarterback.

In an interview with FOXSports.com, Elway said he has since personally cleared the air with Tim Tebow, and insisted there is "nobody more supportive or wants (Tebow) to be that guy than me." Elway also said he plans to "spend a lot of time" with Tebow and Broncos QBs coach Adam Gase working on Tebow's mechanics this offseason. Barring a catastrophic end to the season, Tebow should open 2012 as Denver's starter.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The linebacker making the comment is not "MSM", so no, it doesn't qualify. Besides that, he didn't use Tebow's faith as a qualifier to diminish Tim's ability. And as for the the perception of Tebow by the population at large, unlike other athletes who make a show of "faith", Tebow's identity is his faith. The only other example I can think of that would have the same identity would have been the late Reggie White. He wasn't ridiculed because a black "reverend" in the minds of the MSM = Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, so Reggie was good.

Besides all of that, we've already had this debate in this thread. I actually was a proponent of your point of view in the debate. Scroll back through earlier posts and look it up.

Actually, I don't know if this qualifies as ridiculing, but the late Reggie White, lost many of his endorsements, such as, Campbell's Soup and NIKE, because of his outspoken views concerning his faith.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Actually, I don't know if this qualifies as ridiculing, but the late Reggie White, lost many of his endorsements, such as, Campbell's Soup and NIKE, because of his outspoken views concerning his faith.

It wasn't because he was religious, I think he lost them from his racially "insensitive" comments, where, if I remember correctly he noticed that there was differences between races, which is, as we all know, not true in the fantasy land of modern day america 2.0.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
It wasn't because he was religious, I think he lost them from his racially "insensitive" comments, where, if I remember correctly he noticed that there was differences between races, which is, as we all know, not true in the fantasy land of modern day america 2.0.

Yes, as a result of his outspoken views about what he believes in accordance with the "Christian Bible", He told the Wisconsin Legislature in his speech to them," that homosexuality is a sin, which it is. Not to compare the plight of gays and lesbians to the black race. Homosexuality is a choice you make, you don't get to choose your race."

Thus, because of his "Christian Beliefs" and the fact that he stated them publicly, he lost his endorsements.

If Tim Tebow publicly calls "homosexuality" a sin, which it is, he will lose his endorsements!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Tim leads the Broncos to a 13-10 OT victory against the Bears. This young man is a true winner. :)

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here are comments I got from an article on Yahoo from Bears players. Obviously wigger Brian Urlacher wasn't too happy.

Lance Briggs: "He played hard. I respect a guy that plays hard, him and all the other 10 guys on that field for the Broncos."

Julius Peppers: "It wasn't anything special that he did."
Brian Urlacher: "He's a good running back."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Urlacher, despite being a great player, appears to be jealous that Tebow is leading Denver toward the playoffs while the Bears are self-destructing. At least that is my take on his comments, along with his teammates.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tim Tebow - QB - Broncos

One high-level league executive tells NFL.com that the Broncos' original plan with Tim Tebow was to play him for "a few weeks" to appease fans, and then initiate a rebuilding movement.

The Broncos reportedly "wanted to move on" and "wanted nothing to do with the (Josh) McDaniels regime," which drafted Tebow in the first round of 2010. NFL.com's Mike Lombardi now believes Tebow has made VP of Football Operations John Elway "a believer." The Broncos are leading the AFC West, and after winning so many games, out of position to draft an elite quarterback in 2012.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Tim Tebow - QB - Broncos

One high-level league executive tells NFL.com that the Broncos' original plan with Tim Tebow was to play him for "a few weeks" to appease fans, and then initiate a rebuilding movement.

The Broncos reportedly "wanted to move on" and "wanted nothing to do with the (Josh) McDaniels regime," which drafted Tebow in the first round of 2010. NFL.com's Mike Lombardi now believes Tebow has made VP of Football Operations John Elway "a believer." The Broncos are leading the AFC West, and after winning so many games, out of position to draft an elite quarterback in 2012.

Another freakin' anonymous source to further the agenda. Oh well it's probably true. This is actually still bad for Tebow. Elway is NOT a believer, he's a hater and you can still see it in his face. The first sign of bad results and Tebow will be under lots of pressure. Tim's already walking the tightrope with the close wins. A few bad breaks and he will be thrown under the bus.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As long as his passing continues to improve, Tebow will be hard to dislodge even if the wins start to turn into losses as Denver doesn't have a lot of talent. I'm sure he's aware of that too and will become the best passer he can be.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Tebow now 14th in the league QB rating 84, 48.5% completion, if not for so many drop passes and he would be above 50%, again if he can get a better completion %, his rating will soar.

Andy Dalton sits 17th. 82

C. Newton down to 19th! 81

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jake Locker's rating is 96.6 on admittedly a small sample size so far, but he looks like he's going to be a big-time star. Tebow, Dalton and Locker all playing very well, Ponder also looks like he has what it takes on a very bad team. The only question mark is Gabbert, who is struggling on a lousy team with poor protection, terrible receivers and bad TEs.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Jake Locker's rating is 96.6 on admittedly a small sample size so far, but he looks like he's going to be a big-time star. Tebow, Dalton and Locker all playing very well, Ponder also looks like he has what it takes on a very bad team. The only question mark is Gabbert, who is struggling on a lousy team with poor protection, terrible receivers and bad TEs.

Ponder really reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, all this experience he is gaining will really help him throughout his career. I expect him to be a top 10 QB in the next couple years. Gabbert has been slowly improving every game, he will also improve over the course of the next few seasons. Newton hit his max potential in his first two games - he will never reach Manning/Brady status.

JReb1

Mentor
(Rotoworld) The Broncos are likely to commit to Tim Tebow as their 2012 starting quarterback if he "continues to show improvement and leads the Broncos to the playoffs," team sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Analysis: The Broncos' original plan was to let Tebow fall flat on his face and then draft a quarterback of the future. By going 7-1 as a starter and putting the Broncos on top of the AFC West, Tebow has changed all that. Barring a collapse to the end of the season, vice president John Elway and head coach John Fox will be forced to roll with Tebow in 2012 and not draft a quarterback.

If Tebow can't get a commitment yet after what he's accomplished then Newton and Freemon should be released...

rebelcart

Another freakin' anonymous source to further the agenda. Oh well it's probably true. This is actually still bad for Tebow. Elway is NOT a believer, he's a hater and you can still see it in his face. The first sign of bad results and Tebow will be under lots of pressure. Tim's already walking the tightrope with the close wins. A few bad breaks and he will be thrown under the bus.

It's unlikely that will happen. Tebow has way too much support from the Denver Broncos fanbase. It would be open revolt if they ditched Tebow. Look at the reaction that John Elway received when he said "No" to Tebow being the QB of the future. He got tons of hate mail and people all over social networking sites blasting him.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer