then vs now..

We've all heard the boxing writers and fans talk about today's heavyweights being "weak"; and "boring"! "not like the great 70's" they invest ali; foreman; frazier; and norton with allmost mythical skills!well to compare a "snap shot" of today's top ten with a era is a bit unfair!so i put together a mythical matchup of just the best white fighter and a "snap shot" of the 70's top ten.. from octrober 74#1 waldimir klitschko vs muhammad ali........................#2 vitali klitschko vs george foreman .....................#3 nikolay valuev vs joe frazier....................#4 ruslan shagaev vs ken norton.....................#5 alexander povetkin vs jerry quarry.....................#6 sultan Ibragimov vs ron Lyle.......................#7 sergey lyakhovich vs oscar bonavaena...................#8 denis boytsov vs jimmy Eills.......................#9 oleg platov vs henry clark.......................#10 valdimir virchis vs jose luis garcia...................... how do you see my hypathetical fights going???Edited by: lost

Westside

Hall of Famer
Out of your line up I only see Ken Norton winning when he was in his prime and maybe a prime Joe Frazier againt lumbering Valuev. The K bros would beat all in this comparision. Interesting post LOST!

Westside said:
Out of your line up I only see Ken Norton winning when he was in his prime and maybe a prime Joe Frazier againt lumbering Valuev. The K bros would beat all in this comparision. Interesting post LOST!
thanks westside!
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, interesting post, lost! I'm no boxing expert, but I'd say the 70s lineup would win no more than two of those fights.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Klitschko and Ali is a sure win for Wladimir. Ali is too small and too weak to deal with Wlad's power. The only fight I can see a whites losing is Valuev Frazier. Again this has nothing to do with Frazier being the mythical afflete the media makes him out to be but rather Valuev's poor skills. He embarrassed himself agaisnt a 45 year old Holyfield and showed no will to win.

Here is the truth that the media and DWF's will not accept. The reason there were few white boxing champions say 20 or 30 years ago was that very few Europeans were competing. Just take a look at the face of boxing today. We only have one white American champion in Kelly Pavlik. So it's not like white Americans all of a sudden started becoming champions. The media wants us to believe that the real boxing champions are blacks that are currently playing football and basketball. Boxing takes a whole different set of skills in which these afroletes don't have. How is running fast in a straight line going to help you in boxing? It will not. You need superior stamina, strength, quick hands, and a strategy. Edited by: whiteathlete33

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Showtime has a huge caste matchup coming up. Three white fighters in Abraham, Kessler, and Froch vs three blacks in Dirrel, Ward, and Taylor. I believe this is the last black stand. After these three get exposed the media will run for cover.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Regarding the Povetkin and Teddy partnership, I am reserving my opinion until the out come and performance of Povetkin next fight.

Westside

Hall of Famer
WA 33 I posted a thread about two weeks ago regarding the Super Six Tornament. I picked Kesseler winning the whole thing with King Aurthor as second.