The Tom Rathman escape hatch

referendum

Mentor
Since seemingly all good white runningbacks are viewed as fullbacks, I'm wondering about someone becoming the new Tom Rathman, i.e. a receiving fullback who makes a lot of receptions plus some rushes. In one season with the 49ers he had around 60 catches. It seems white "fullbacks" like Evans, Hester, Hedgewiener etc. aren't trusted with rushing the ball, but are with receiving it on occasion, and it would be nice for a white "receiving fullback" to have a big year with some Rathmanesque numbers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Rathman had almost as many yards rushing (2,020) as he did receiving (2,684) in his NFL career. In his peak years ('87 through '90) he averaged 740 total yards per season.

Just about any white "fullback" could do the same. I don't think there's ever been a white FB with bad hands, and they all could be decent to excellent power runners.

However, there's no indication of any kind of revival of the fullback as anything but a backfield blocker, when one is even used.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think Mark B's thread was perfect, "Screw the NFL, just watch College Football". If white WRs continue to excel like they are doing and white RBs continue to slowly increase in numbers in the FBS; maybe the drunk white fans will wake up to why the white RB isn't given a chance.

I think LSU fans know Hester deserved some more carries this season with Tomlinson struggling with turf toe in Bolt land. Peyton Hillis got a quick chance with the Broncos and played stellar. The internet is a wealth of information and is another tool to educate people.

I am so sick of these athletic white FBs just being used for an occasional catch or short yardage carry; that sometimes I want to just completely give up on the NFL, but guys like Wes Welker keep me interested.