the state of heavyweight boxing

white is right

Hall of Famer
Solomon Kane said:
That's true, Englishman. Ali was a vain showboating jerk---but a very good boxer. He fought many fine boxers both white and black--Cooper, Bonavena, Quarry, Frazier, Foreman.

Still we're all agreed--if there had been no cold war--there would have been no "era of the black boxer" (at least no long era).
One thing I remember back around 90' when the "Russians" first turned pro the little guys achieved success early because many of them fought a better style for the pros. Many of the early heavyweights had the rigid amateur style and didn't punch through the target enough to beat decent North American pros. Guys like Zolkin and Valulin come to mind.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
In all honestly, I've never been so excited and interested in the current state of boxing in general, not just heavyweight. I'm only 21, but do you guys remember around this time last summer when Wladamir beat Chris Byrd (I respect Byrd for fighting him again, and standing tough in both fights) early in the summer. Then Oleg came only weeks later and beat Rahman? Both Wlad and Oleg were given up for dead (especially Maskaev) after losses to guys they should have beaten. I can recall quite vividly a tear in Klitschko's eye when he hoisted the title last summer, what an inspirational moment. All in all, each of these champions has been through alot just to wear that gold belt. It's a true shame that the success of these men will go without accolades, fame, or even general acknowledgment from the media. I watch ESPN alot, and I've never heard a single mention (accept for the "terrible" HW division) They're all great athletes, and more importantly, great people, which matters way more in my eyes...

G

JD1986 said:
White heavyweight Cooper was beating Ali when he was cut by what looked like an intentional headbutt.

Wlad would easily defeat prime Ali (he does well against that style of fighter) although I'm not sure if Wlad would defeat a prime Foreman (he's had some difficult fights against power punchers like Sanders).

That's a pretty spot on analysis. I think Wlad would have defeated Ali and Frazier, but I think that an early Foreman would likely have taken him out.