The return of Eric Crouch

Westside

Hall of Famer
I know it late, but over a week ago, Yahoo had a feature on him. He started a contracting business in Nebraska, and its doing well. I always thought Eric, should have stayed at QB and force the issue. If Doug Flutie could succed at the NFL, Eric surely could have.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Eric Crouch signs with the Omaha Nighthawks

Just found this interesting item as I was cruising around the web, Eric Crouch is back! Kind of. He has signed with the Omaha Nighthawks of the UFL. Here is the announcement from July 12th:

Nighthawks Head Coach JOE MOGLIA and General Manager RICK MUELLER announced Eric Crouch has signed with the team.
Crouch attended the team's open tryout in April before being invited to Mini Camp in June. Today's announcement confirms he will challenge for a quarterback spot on the team’s opening-game roster of 51 players.
"We are committed to providing Omaha with a team it can be proud of," said Moglia. "Eric is a great addition to help us accomplish that mission."
Mueller is excited Crouch will be joining the team after spending several years away from the game. "Eric is the real deal," Mueller said. "This league is all about second chances, and we're here to provide that to him."
Crouch last played for the Toronto Argonauts of the CFL in 2006. "I'm excited to play again, especially in my home town," said Crouch, a graduate of Millard North High School where he was a two time All-State selection at quarterback. "I'm grateful for this opportunity and I will do everything I can to make Omaha proud of their team."
The Nighthawks start their season on the road against the Sacramento Mountain Lions on August 14, followed by their first home game of the season at TD Ameritrade Park on August 21 vs. the Virginia Destroyers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Best wishes to Eric in his comeback! I hope he ends up starting and does well in the UFL.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Best wishes to Eric in his comeback! I hope he ends up starting and does well in the UFL.

Dittos, while this is clearly an attempt to boost attendence with a hometown boy I hope he takes the ball and runs with it :tongue: as he is probably in the CF all time top 10 of white athletes that were screwed by the caste system. Actually that would make a fun top 10 list:
TOP TEN WHITE ATHLETES SCREWED BY THE PRO-BLACK CASTE SYSTEM
(my list)
1) Luke Staley (no question in my mind about him being number 1)
2) Eric Crouch
3) Matt Jones
4) Mike Hass
5) Brian Leonard
6) Jacob Hester
7) Billy Volek
8) Patrick Jeffers
9) Mike Allstott
10) Brock Forsey

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Congrats to Eric. He could have played QB, WR, RB or DB in the NFL...he was that good of an athlete.

Jaxvid, good list. I might say that Alstott wasn't as scr3wed as others, as he did get a fair amount of carries...except not at RB.

ALBINO RHINO

eric crouch thread

Dittos, while this is clearly an attempt to boost attendence with a hometown boy I hope he takes the ball and runs with it :tongue: as he is probably in the CF all time top 10 of white athletes that were screwed by the caste system. Actually that would make a fun top 10 list:
TOP TEN WHITE ATHLETES SCREWED BY THE PRO-BLACK CASTE SYSTEM
(my list)
1) Luke Staley (no question in my mind about him being number 1)
2) Eric Crouch
3) Matt Jones
4) Mike Hass
5) Brian Leonard
6) Jacob Hester
7) Billy Volek
8) Patrick Jeffers
9) Mike Allstott
10) Brock Forsey

while this site is correct 99.9% of the time, you guys are way off on Eric Crouch, Crouch was a elite athlete but there was No Way he was playing qb in the NFL. Futhermore, he quit in camp!!!! Drafted in the third round as a safety/receiver!!! said he didn't have the heart to play. you can't miss your window into the league, then come back and blame anybody or anything! he didn't get screwed. he should have evolved, if he truly loved the game and wanted to make it a career.

ex: Scott Frost

dwid

Hall of Famer
Gill Fenerty was one of the most screwed over players as far as the NFL. He was a White scatback with great hands. Had 3,680 yards rushing at Holy Cross, including a game where he had 337 yards and 6 tds on 18 carries vs Columbia.

Ingored by the NFL, The Argonauts discovered him while he was playing in Italy. He won rookie of the year award in the CFL, his 3 year stint in the CFL he had 3094 rushing yards, 5 ypc 32 tds. 140 receptions for 1190 yards and 7 tds. He set the team's single season rushing record his last year and their single game rushing record with 215 against Calgary.

New Orleans picked him up in 1990, Jim Mora shouldve used him more. He had 73 carries for 355 yards 4.9 ypc and 2 tds with a long of 60 along with 209 yards receiving.

Jim Mora gave 90 carries to Dalton Hilliard who averaged 3.2 ypc and 138 carries to Reuban Mayes who averaged 3.7 ypc. The only one who did well was Ironhead who averaged 4.6 ypc on 129 carries. If Jim Mora was smart he shouldve featured those two, thunder and lightning but the excuse was that he didn't want to risk injury to the team's kick returner.

The next year he started off good but had an injury that affected his play, but he continued to play on it (this was his 2nd year in the NFL and he was getting close to 30). Im guessing it was he knee because it looked like he lost the ability to cut. He still had 712 yards from scrimmage but his ypc was 3.4 and his ypc dropped from 11 to 9. It couldve been the play of the line as well because he had the highest ypc average out of all the backs. Hilliard averaged 3.2 ypc again and Ironhead also averaged 3.4. Buford Jordan averaged 3.2 ypc.

I wonder what kind of numbers he couldve put up in the NFL if he didn't spend the first 4 years of his pro career in Italy/Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKlHzg3hQkM This is Gill with a 54 yard run against the Vikings in 91 before he got injured, kind of reminds me of the run Woodhead had against the Colts.

BTW I thought Crouch quit because he insisted on being a quarterback, they wanted him as a wide receiver. He should have just accepted his role? Thats why White athletes are where they are today, they accept their roles, cornerbacks into safetys, runningbacks into fullbacks. Dual threat qbs into wide receiver or safety. And its not like he quit the game, he went to a different NFL team hoping to play qb. He eventually went to NFL Europe, dude even gave back his signing bonus to the Rams, and btw, in Europe, he played Safety. I guess finally gave up on playing qb in the NFL and went to the CFL.

Last edited:

JReb1

Mentor
If Tavaris Jackson can START in the NFL at QB than Eric Crouch could dominate. Crouch could easily have been putting up similar stats as Vick if he was allowed to play QB. If Crouch had to switch positions it should have been to RB not FS or WR. Crouch would be great in a Woodhead type of role and also as a Wildcat...