the "amazing" calvin johnson

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Of course, I'm being sarcastic when I titled this thread, but I am so sick of hearing about this guy! He is a very good player, and I have no problem with that, but the unending sucking of his goober like it's made of cotton candy is ridiculous! Here's the latest article that slobbers all over the knob of johnson... I am now providing a few excerpts from the "non-biased, objective sports reporting", which I'll follow with how the story should have been written after he encountered a real talent: Utah's Eric Weddle. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY...
smiley4.gif

USA Today
By Ray Glier, special for USA TODAY
ATLANTA â€â€￾ Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is counting on one hand the number of passes he dropped during the 2005 season.
"One, two ... let me think," he says. "Two, I think. Maybe there were three I should have caught."
If you have watched Johnson catch passes, you do not say, "That's all, two?"
You say, "How did he drop two?"
How does Calvin Johnson drop a pass when he catches so many he has no right to catch? ...
Johnson has a height advantage against defensive backs, but he has the kind of speed that makes a one-on-one matchup more unfair. He runs a 4.35-second 40-yard dash on his best day.
"He runs precise routes, he is fast, he has great hands, he's a great kid," says Buddy Geis, Georgia Tech assistant head coach and wide receivers coach. "What have I left out? Oh, blocking. He's a great blocker, not a good blocker, but a great blocker."
"I've coached Marvin Harrison and Sterling Sharpe," Geis said. "This kid is better."
The highlight videos of Johnson are all over the Internet. The films could be longer, but he is not the product of a pass-first system that spits out All-American receivers.
Johnson has modest numbers â€â€￾ 102 catches in two seasons. He ranked 77th in 2005 in receptions per game (4.5)...

For his career, he has 102 receptions for 1,725 yards and 13 touchdowns. Bow down and worship the latest black Jesus.

Here's how the story should have read...

Caste Football Today
Jimmy Chitwood, special for Caste Football Today
THE INTERNET â€â€￾ Georgia Tech junior wide receiver Calvin Johnson is counting on one hand the number of passes he caught during the 2005 Emerald Bowl.
"One, two ... let me think," he says, screwing up his face with obviously painful concentration. "Two, I think. There were two I caught."
Johnson is amazingly correct with his recollection. He caught an amazing two catches for an even more incredible 19 yards in Tech's lop-sided loss to Utah, very impressive numbers under the circumstances.

If you watched Johnson catch those passes in that game, you do not say, "That's all, two?"
You say, "How did he catch two?"

How did Calvin Johnson catch two passes when he had so few opportunities to catch even one? You see, Johnson was matched up with Utah cornerback Eric Weddle, undeniably the most athletic defensive back in the country. And it just goes to show how talented Johnson truly is to be able to put up those kind of numbers when matched up man-to-man against that kind of unbridled athleticism.
Johnson, at 6'5", has a height advantage against defensive backs, but he has the kind of speed that normally makes a one-on-one matchup unfair. At least for normal, black defensive backs.

Weddle, of course, is not normal. And he doesn't suffer from the limitations so common among his black counterparts. He easily covers wide receivers who run a 4.35-second 40-yard dash on their best day.
"He runs precise routes, he is fast, he has great hands, he's a great kid," says Buddy Geis, Georgia Tech assistant head coach and wide receivers coach, with regard to his best receiver. "What have I left out? Oh, blocking. He's a great blocker, not a good blocker, but a great blocker. He's just not good enough to compete against a talent like Eric Weddle."
"I've coached Marvin Harrison and Sterling Sharpe," Geis said. "This kid, Weddle, is better."
The highlight videos of Johnson are all over the Internet. The films could be longer, but sadly he had his season shut down by Utah's shutdown corner.

Johnson has modest numbers â€â€￾ 102 catches in two seasons. He ranked 77th in 2005 in receptions per game (4.5) in Division I-A.

The stats should be inspiring says noted talent evaluator Don Wassall. "Those are pretty good numbers for a black receiver," said Wassall. "Of course, he's no Jeff Samardzija, Todd Blythe, Eric Deslauriers, frankly the list could go on for a while of white receivers who routinely put up similar numbers in a single season. And he's certainly not in the same category as last year's Biletnikoff winner, Mike Hass.

"But as black receivers go, he's probably the best one out there."
Another day of domination by Eric Weddle
348652.jpeg

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Chitwood said:
The stats should be inspiring says noted talent evaluator Don Wassall. "Those are pretty good numbers for a black receiver," said Wassall. "Of course, he's no Jeff Samardzija, Todd Blythe, Eric Deslauriers, frankly the list could go on for a while of white receivers who routinely put up similar numbers in a single season. And he's certainly not in the same category as last year's Biletnikoff winner, Mike Hass.

"But as black receivers go, he's probably the best one out there."

smiley36.gif
Great stuff with the college players, JC. You and Col. Reb deserve medals for all the time and effort you've put into getting the college info out there.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy, you got me to laughing with that! Man, thats a classic if there ever was one. True though, every bit. These guys are so *******y it really is hard to believe sometimes.

Don, thanks!

white tornado

Mentor
Every artical I read about calvin johnson the writer says how humble he is. Then calvin gets quoted and its "I can't be stoped Ive never been stopped in my life." Yeah real humble just like his saintle mama who is mentioned in every artical raised him.

Two words that can never go together are humble and black.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nice job Jimmy.Can we please get one of our guys to write articles for cbssportsline or cnnsi.com?Please,I'm begging.Someone that will tell it like it is.Draftdaddy is the closest site as far as honest reporting goes.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Jimmy that was great stuff man, I'm just hanging on for the day when that becomes reality.

Triad

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
The highlight videos of Johnson are all over the Internet. The films could be longer, but he is not the product of a pass-first system that spits out All-American receivers.

Funny how his unimpressive stats are attributed to the team's offensive philosophy and style and not the poor passing of his equally overrated QB.

Triad

Mentor
Ivan Maisel's Heisman watch has Johnson as the number #3 prospect after week one.
--------------------------------------------------------
Maisel' "Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech, WR: He was the best player on the field Saturday night. Kudos to the Notre Dame defense, which limited him to two catches and 16 receiving yards in the second half. "
-----------------------------------------------------
He had one nice series, that's it.

G

Triad said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:

Funny how his unimpressive stats are attributed to the team's offensive philosophy and style and not the poor passing of his equally overrated QB.

Yeah, I have to say one thing in Johnson's defense - he is playing with one of the worst major conference quarterbacks I've ever seen. Reggie Ball stinks up the field every time I see him play.