the '06-'07 hype thread

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Vandy is ranked 17th right now in the AP, but they lost last night to Mississippi State.

Ole Miss and Mississippi State are tied for the lead in the West right now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Nick Fazekas and Nevada went down up in Logan to Utah State in OT, 79-77. It was on local TV here and was pretty crazy at the end.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jimmy great posts. Thanks for keeping me informed, b'c I don't really follow much until March Madness.

Just a thought though it's crazy how NBA draft boards have Hansbourogh going in the late 1st round b/c of a supposed lack of athleticism. He's an increadible player kind of like Karl Malone (undersized and can't jump out of the gym) but still a good athlete; a great scorer with a nose for the basket. White players continue to be underrated by the NBA which is why a guy like Nash sat on the bench until his late 20's, I don't buy the injury plagued theory, he wasn't injured the whole time.

The NBA cut great college players like Gansey last year and Redick and Novak continue to get no playing time. Just wondering: what is the percentage of white starters approximatly in NCAA DIV 1? I feel like there's always loads of great college starters that don't get a chance in the NBA. At least we have Europeans now, but we need more white Americans!
smiley7.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ole Miss Point Guard Todd Abernethy played the most minutes of his teammates today in a 83-79 win over Auburn. He had 15 points, 9 assists (currently tied for the most assists in Division I-A today), 3 steals, and 3 rebounds. Before today, he was leading the SEC in assists by a half assist a game and tied for 28th in the country!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Todd Abernethy has extended his lead in the SEC in assists to .66 assists per game! Overall, he is now 15th in the country at 5.83! Jared (Share) Jordan is leading the nation with 8.8 assists per game, a full 1.5 assists more than the 2nd place guy. In assist to turnover ratio, Todd has 3.31, also leading the SEC. Tennessee's Dane Bradshaw is second with 2.60, and Mississippi State Freshman Ben Hansbrough is 5th with 2.02. Isn't it strange that the only SEC whites who can be in the top 5 are. As Jimmy Chitwood just pointed out to me, it is interesting to note that the number 2 guy in assists (5.17)in the SEC, Arkansas' black Gary Ervin, is way down the list in assists to turnovers at 9th with 1.71. Interesting stats indeed. This basketball stuff just keeps getting more fun!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Sunshine pointed out a guy that i haven't had a chance to see play, Utah State's Jaycee Carroll.

jaf4fl71.jpg

here is his bio: [url]http://utahstateaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/carroll_ jaycee00.html[/url]

he's an athletic shooter who has been dominating the WACsince his freshman year, so i should be surprised that i haven't heard of him before, but since he's white i'm not...
smiley7.gif
he was a first-team All-WAC selection this season.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
a young cat i had the chance to watch the other day that is also flyiing under the radar despite his talent is Northwestern freshman Kevin Coble. [url]http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/coble_kevin00.h tml[/url]

Kevin is an athletic wing who has been the main bright spot for a struggling Wildcat team... here is some impressive news regarding this steller athlete:

A Nike All-America selection in 2005 and a Nike "Top 100" player in 2004 ... Led the Eagles to a 64-3 record and back-to-back state titles in 2003-04 and 2004-05 ... Named to the Arizona State All-Tournament team three straight years ... A three-time Arizona Republic and Tribune all-state selection ... Also a three-time Arizona Republic Small-School Player of the Year ... Was voted team MVP by his teammates all four years ... Led his team to the 2004 Cactus Jam Christmas Tournament championship where he was named tournament MVP ... Led his team to the 2003 ARC National Championship and the 14 and under title in 2002 ...

Coble was Northwestern's most consistent offensive weapon in 2007, leading the team and ranking 15th in the Big Ten in scoring with 13.3 points per game. He is in line to become just the fifth true-freshman to lead the Wildcats in scoring and the first freshman ever to lead the team in both points and rebounding (5.2) since the 1972-73 season when freshmen became eligible for varsity competition.

The Phoenix, Ariz., native is averaging 15.8 points over the last nine games entering the Tournament. He scored in double-figures 20 times this season and had five games with 20 or more points. Among conference freshmen, he ranks third in scoring (13.3), rebounding (5.2) and 3FG percentage (.375) and fourth in FG percentage (.492). His perfect 5-of-5 shooting performance from behind the arc against Utah in December is tied for the best 3FG shooting performance in the Big Ten this season among all players. He averaged 20.3 ppg in three games at the San Juan Shootout and was named to the all-tournament team for his efforts.

Kevin is only the second player in Arizona prep basketball history to win state Player of the Year three times.
smiley32.gif

kevincoble.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
speaking of the WAC... another guywho is a tremendous talent that i haven't got to see play live, is Boise State's Coby Karl.

cobykarl.jpg

a tough, athleticscorer with a coach's smarts and a smooth jumper, Coby averaged 14.8 points a game this season and was among the Western Athletic Conference's leaders in scoring, assists and 3-point percentage despite being the only really good player for the Broncos. He was named first-team all-WAC on Sunday, and despite his skin color and lack of a high-profile media following, he's become a legitimate NBA prospect. maybe because of his last name, but our guys need all the help they can get.
smiley2.gif

here is his bio: [url]http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900& amp;ATCLID=536945[/url]

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Washington takes on Arizona St. tonight in the first round of the Pac 10 tourny, seemingly needing to win it to get in. I think this team has a lot of potential with Hawes, Brockman, Appleby, etc. and thus are a team I have personally rooted for all year. Good luck to them tonight and I hope they can pull it off!

bigunreal

Mentor
Lots of potential white future NBA stars, but how many will even make an NBA roster? Last year, we had the top two players in college basketball, fighting with each other for the leading scorer in the nation honors (Reddick and Morrison). Despite their stellar college careers, both are nonentities right now in the NBA. West Virginia's two fantastic white stars, Mike Gansey and Kevin Pittsnogle, didn't even make an NBA roster. Andrew Bogut was drafted first overall two seasons ago; do the jock-sniffing "journalists" ever even mention his name? He has obviously not become an NBA star yet. How about the European from last season that was drafted first overall? I can't even remember his name, so that ought to tell us how well he's doing. Darko was drafted at the top by Detroit and they virtually never even played him. There are so many obstacles in the way of these white players that it's a good thing the salaries are so obscenely high in the NBA. Otherwise, there would be very few with the heart and backbone to continue to suffer the mistreatment they do at the hands of coaches, general managers, jock-sniffing reporters and drunken, white fans.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Adam Morrison was starting for Charlotte Monday night.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
He also had 22 points last night against the Suns. He's averaging around 13-14 a game. I'd say that's solid for a rookie....