the '06-'07 hype thread

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
After a couple of weeks of the college basketball season, I thought I'd chime in with my two cents on who is playing the best ball, the freshman who have impressed me so far, and who are the most athletic guys I've seen play.

First, I'll offer my thoughts on my All-American teams. I'm putting together two, because there are two distinct styles that are played, both requiring different types of players and, obviously, each will have guys who dominate that style. It's been a tremendous year so far for white guys, so it's tougher than usual to whittle down the numbers. But a team can only start five players, regardless of the roster's talent, so I've put together my two AA starting lineups. My rosters are unusual. They aren't exclusively stocked by upper classmen, nor are they gauged by their NBA potential, which so many AA teams are. Rather, they're based on who I think is the best college player.

The first is the full court, up-tempo lineup. It is unusual, as it is made up of two short, old guards who don't dunk and three intriguing young big men who do.

Point guard: Jared Jordan Marist, Sr. 6-2, 182. The collegiate version of Steve Nash, Jordan led the nation last year in assists, and is atop that category this year. Nobody in the college game dissects a defense like Jared. Much like Nash, he is criticized for not being an explosive leaper or being the quickest cat in the gym, but just like Nash he routinely destroys "superior afaletes" who try to guard him. A superbly conditioned athlete, Jordan was second in the nation in minutes played a year ago, and will likely be near the top of the rankings again this season (see his performance in the Old Spice Tournament where he played back-to-back 40 minute games in two days). He's also a consistent triple-double threat, despite his "lack of athleticism," and was honored as the tournament's MOP after averaging 20.7 points, 9.0 assists, and 6.3 rebounds while leading Marist to a third-place finish.

Two guard: A.J. Graves Butler, Jr. 6-1, 155. Inside his rail-thin body beats the heart of a sharp-shooting assassin. Graves is the main reason the Butler Bulldogs have gone from an afterthought in the Horizon League to cracking the Top 20. Already this season, Graves has led the Bulldogs to wins over Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee, and my beloved Gonzaga, en route to a pre-season NIT Championship. After scoring 26 in the title game, Graves who was the Tourney MVP, hit for 26 against Kent State in a double overtime win on Saturday (Nov. 25) at Kent State. He added five assists and two steals, while committing just one turnover in 48 minutes of action. The sharp shooter is averaging nearly 20 points a game.

Forward: Josh Heytvelt Gonzaga, Soph. 6-11, 238. Heytvelt has emerged as the man in Spokane. Incredibly athletic, Heytvelt (who reportedly has a 40-inch vertical) is already making people take note of Gonzaga despite all the question marks coming into the year. A dominant force in the paint on both ends of the floor, the high-flyer has a formidable skill set for a player his size. At 6-11 he has range on his jumper out to the 3-point line, and unlike many perimeter playing bigs, he's not afraid of eating glass. He averages over 7 boards a game to go with his 17+ points on 54% shooting. His most notable game came when he outplayed Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough in Madison Square Garden, going for 19 points, 8 boards, and 4 blocked shots.

Forward: Josh McRoberts Duke, Soph. 6-10, 240. A point-power forward? McRoberts could be such a man; he's challenging for the Duke lead in assists and routinely runs their offense from the perimeter. His ball handling skills are unmatched by any player his size in the nation. An above the rim player on both ends, Josh's dunks are a staple on Sportscenter, but more importantly he is averaging over 2 blocked shots per game, while snagging nearly 7 boards. On offense, he has a good mid-range game, but his strength is attacking the bucket. So far this season he has been too unselfish, if such a thing is possible, but is still averaging nearly 11 points per.

Center: Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina, Soph. 6-9, 245. How often is your center your shortest frontline player? When it's Hansbrough, it doesn't matter. He is a beast in the paint. Unlike many of today's power people who fall in love with the 3-point line, Tyler knows where to do his damage: in the paint. Perhaps the most physically intimidating player in the college game, Hansbrough fills up a stat sheet while working in the lane, but he runs the floor as good or better than most guards. Averaging nearly 21 points and 9 rebounds per game, Tyler is a legitimate choice for national POY honors.

My half court team is stacked with big men who eat glass and dominate from 18 feet-in, and two experienced guards who are tough, intelligent, and can flat-out shoot the ball. Free throw shooting is a must, because this team will rapidly rack up fouls on the defense, so I've taken care of that as well.

Point guard: Drew Neitzel Michigan State, Jr. 6-0, 180. The leader of an unheralded MSU team that has started off the season a surprising 7-1 (albeit against a weak schedule), including an upset over Texas, Neitzel has put the young Spartans on his back. A role-player as a gritty, hard-nosed point guard in years past, Drew has shown the ability to score both off the dribble and from 3-point range and create for his teammates. Asked to shoulder most of the decision-making burden this year by coach Izzo, Neitzel has proven sufficient to the task. Currently leading the Spartans in scoring while shooting 50% from the floor and 91% from the free throw line, Neitzel won the College Hoops Classic MVP and was recently named Big Ten co-player of the week.

Shooting guard: Nate Funk Creighton, Sr. 6-3, 195. The only player from the Missouri Valley Conference to get pre-season AA consideration as well as being named the MVC pre-season POY, Funk is possibly the best shooter in college basketball today. Creighton has only played 3 games so far, but I'm feeling the Funk until he proves me wrong.

Forward: Jason Smith Colorado State, Jr. 7-0, 230. Center size with small forward agility, Smith has pro scouts drooling despite his debilitating skin condition. First-team all Mountain West as a sophomore, Smith has upped his play significantly this season. Averaging a double-double (16.6 points and 10.4 boards) and nearly 2 and a half blocks per game, he's on pace to win conference MVP honors despite playing on a lackluster CSU team.

Power forward: Nick Fazekas Nevada, Sr. 6-11, 240. Expected to win his third straight WAC POY award, Fazekas is the only player in the nation currently in the top five in both points-per-game (25.0) and rebounds per (14.8 which leads the nation). Long and highly skilled, Fazekas is yet another in the long line of fantastic basketball players who don't jump out of the gym. A big man who can shoot, Fazekas doesn't get much national exposure, but that doesn't mean he can't play.

Center: Aaron Gray Pittsburgh, Sr. 7-0, 270. The only player in the Big East to average a double-double a year ago, Gray is one of only a handful of true centers in the collegiate game. Expected to be the conference POY this season, Gray came back to achieve his goal of leading Pitt to the Sweet 16. A soft touch out to 15 feet, Gray provides a difficult match-up with his strength, size, and skill.

High flyers who are under the radar:
Joe Alexander, West Virginia, Soph. wing; Adam Haluska, Iowa, Sr. wing, Eric Devendorf, Syracuse, Soph. wing;

Freshmen to watch:
Chase Budinger, Arizona, wing
Matt Bouldin, Gonzaga, combo guard
Eric Hayes, Maryland, point guard
Ryan Anderson, Cal, power forward
Spencer Hawes, Washington, center

Check-your-breath All Defense team: these guys get in your face all game long...
Wes Miller, North Carolina, Sr. guard
Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois, Soph. guard
Mike Nardi, Villanova, Sr. guard
Dane Bradshaw, Tennessee, Sr. guard/forward
Steven Hill, Arkansas, Jr. center

Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
now then, i haven't seen every team or every player in the country yet, so i may have missed on some guys... but let the discussion begin!
smiley2.gif

also, i've got pics of the players downloaded, and i'll post them later, but i'm running short on time.

enjoy!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Dang Jimmy, that's good stuff! It's better reading then ESPN or Sports Illustrated. Your football posts are good but I can tell you are a BIG basketball fan. Keep up the good work.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Haluska may average 25 or more a game. He's the entire Iowa team, which has taken a huge step back from last season. Someone who warrants some consideration for the Defensive guys in Indiana walk-on Errek Suhr, who when he is in there is your typical hustle player, playing hard defense and taking charges.

white tornado

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood your the man.

Neitzel struggled last night. If Eric Devendorf hadn't reneged on his
commitment to MSU, they could be playing five white guys at a time --
Neitzel, Devendorf, Dahlman, Suton, Naymick. Too bad Suton and
Naymick suck balls.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Aw heck, I might as well join in the lovefest. Jimmy Chitwood is Mr. Basketball! We're not worthy...(bows).
smiley36.gif

Seriously, Jimmy Chitwood is as fanatical a college basketball guy as I am college football guy, and he does great work. I wish there were about 100 guys like him on here to post info on other sports.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
*blushes*

shucks, thanks guys!

ocaamike believe it or not, i really struggled to decide between adding Haluska. he was the most difficult guy to leave off, but his lack of a "killer instinct" was the the difference maker. he is one of the most athletically gifted basketball players in the country, and he has a sweet, sweet long range jumper... but he rarely attacks the rim with authority, preferring to float on the perimeter. he doesn't try to take over games, even when the Hawkeyes are struggling to put up points. he's a tough defender, so i won't say he's soft, but he could definitely be much more aggressive. *crosses fingers* i agree that he is the only real player for Iowa. hopefully, he'll prove me wrong this year...

i changed my mind about my freshmen team after watching Duke play again... Scheyer is a tremendous talent, but until Duke starts playing tougher, especially Scheyer and Paulus, the Blue Devils will struggle. so i added Anderson from Cal. that big dude is some kind of player!

one last thing... just like in football, in basketball white kids are much more likely to get a chance to play out West. the "hyped" guys play on the East coast, but per capita there are more talented white players the further West you go.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
jaredjordan.jpg

Jared Jordan creating off the dribble

AJGraves.jpg

A.J. Graves hoisting the MVP Trophy from the pre-season NIT

joshheytvelt-2.jpg

Josh Heytvelt with the rejection

joshmcroberts-1.jpg

the high-flying Josh McRoberts

tylerhansbrough.jpg

the beast himself, Tyler Hansbrough

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
drewneitzel.jpg

Drew Neitzel blowing past a defender

natefunk.jpg

Nate Funk eyeing the defense

jasonsmithblock.jpg

Jason Smith denying all applicants

nickfazekas.jpg

Nick Fazekas scoring in traffic

aarongray.jpg

the big man, Aaron Gray scoring down low

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
and now, the aerial assault...

JoeAlexander.jpg

Joe Alexander

adamhaluska.jpg

Adam Haluska

chasebudinger.jpg

Chase Budinger

ericdevendorf.jpg

Eric Devendorf (i haven't been able to find a good dunk pic of him yet, obviously, but he had a nasty one against Holy Cross)

Look in the bottom left-hand corner here, there's an old magazine cover
of Devedorf dunking:

http://www.bankhoops.com

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i guess not too many of you guys are as into college hoops as i am, but no worries. here are a few other guys who've gone unnoticed this season...

toddabernethy.jpg

Ole Miss point guard Todd Abernethy is the only starting point guard in the SEC who is white. the ONLY one. he leads the league in assist/turnover ratio and is only a fraction away from leading the conference in assists, as well. (his total numbers are much more impressive than the guys ahead of him.) despite being the only white Ole Miss Rebel to see any playing time, he is the 2-time team captain.

here are a couple of links to recent articles that praise this under-rated playmaker: SEC's Iron Man, Abernethy key to win. can you imagine what he has gone through?

what is even more astounding is that there are only 6 regular white starters in the SEC: Arkansas' Steven Hill, Tennessee's Dane Bradshaw, Florida's Lee Humphrey, Vanderbilt's Dan Cage and Ross Neltner, and Ole Miss' Abernethy.

stevenhill.jpg

Steven Hill

danebradshaw.jpg

Dane Bradshaw

leehumphrey.jpg

Lee Humphrey

dancage.jpg

Dan Cage

rossneltner.jpg

Ross Neltner

that's right. that WHOPPING total comes from a total of 12 teams, 5 spots per team, and a total of 60 starting jobs. only 10% of the routine starters in the SEC are white.

3 other players (Georgia's Steve Newton and Dave Bliss, and Mississippi State's freshman combo guard Ben Hansbrough) are part-time starters.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Hawaii plays waaaaaaay out West, but they play lots of white guys. they usually start at least 3, and often have 4 on the court at a time.

their best player is long and athletic 2-guard Matt Lojeski. the senior leads the Warriors in scoring (16.2 per), field goal percentage (a whopping 53%, wow!), assists, and minutes. he's second in steals, blocks, rebounds, and free throw percentage.

mattlojeski.jpg

he can really play. stay up late one night, and try to catch a game. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in case you haven't noticed, Iowa's Adam Haluska is leading the Big Ten in scoring. he's single-handedly keeping the Hawkeyes' post-season hopes alive.

he dropped 34 on Minnesota his last time out, his second consecutive 30-plus point game and the 4th of the year. and he did it on just 14 shot attempts.
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Scheyer had 26 last night in a losing effort for Duke, hopefully it leads to a breakout for him.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good point, Mike.

also, Drew Neitzel, Jared Jordan, and A.J. Graves are carrying their teams. but we've talked about them some already...

PitBull

Guru
Scheyer was a beast here in Chicago. I was wondering how long it would
take him to step it up in college. He's and excellent shooter who can create
off the dribble and a good passer to boot. I'll certainly be looking out for
him at Tournament time.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Watching Notre Dame right now, they got a plethora of good whites, many of whom are very young. Sadly Colin Falls is a senior but Rob Kurz (Jr.), Luke Harangody (Fr.), Luke Zeller (So.), Zach Hillesland (So.), and hopefully McAlarney gets back on the team next season and they continue to compete. They are currently #21 in the country and Falls is one of the best shooters in the nation.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hey Jimmy, thats a great informative post about the SEC.
smiley32.gif
I appreciate all the hard work that YOU did finding out about those players.
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Seriously though, keep up the good work.

sunshine

Mentor
I am a basketball fan and follow the college game closely. Yes the guy from Hawaii is a good player. I hope Haluska's stock continues to climb. I can see him as a 6th man spark plug type in the NBA. To change the subject whiter Duke girls beat all black NC last night. Soph. Abby Waner is a good one.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
SPECIAL THANKS to COLONEL REB for some of that SEC info...</font>

heh.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, JC, I totally didn't expect that kind of credit, but hey, I'll take it!
smiley4.gif

BTW, I saw the highlights of that girls game and it was nice to see for sure.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
It was mentioned earlier about the lack of whites in the SEC and this is old news but I'd like to bring up that the most white-freindly SEC team, Vanderbilt, upset then-no.1 Florida last week. A lot of guys on the board like to follow the SEC and what goes on so I figure I'd throw that update in.