Texas WR Jordan Shipley

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
BTW, I agree- I don't see Shipley as a Welker guy, but of course Musburger couldn't think outside the box. I'd compare Ship to a Greg Jennings, Kevin Curtis or Jeremy Maclin- for his athletic skill set, size and speed. Ship has more versatility and toughness for the slot if a team "decides" to put him there though.

And I liked Draft Daddy's comparison of Chris McGaha's style, big hands and size/ speed ratio to former Viking WR Cris Carter!

bigunreal

Mentor
We all know that if Shipley were black he'd be a high first round choice.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Jordan Shipley just showed up the bros in a skills competition by demonstrating the superior hand-eye coordination we know that white athletes so often have, and even a burst of speed that the other competitors couldn't produce.

Any sensible NFL evaluator should see the real talent Jordan Shipley has and promote him as a viable 1st round choice.

Demonstrable football skills should take precedence any day over what happens in the dog-and-pony show NFL Combine.

JReb1

Mentor
Where was this competition shown? Hopefully someone will put this feat by Shipley on YouTube because I want to see it and I don't have the NFL Network if that's who showed it...

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Mel Kiper is predicting OSU's Dez Bryant as a top 10 pick. As BigUnReal alluded to, if Jordan was an "afflete", he be a top 10 pick (as well). I've seen some mock drafts that list Shipley as the 8th best WR...such pro-caste BS!
smiley7.gif

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Jordan sure did shine at the Mercedes Benz College Football All-Star Challenge. The great prognosticator Todd McShay kept characterizing Jordan as a third rounder. By the end of the competition McShay was willing to vote Jordan as outstanding performer. I think Zac Robinson received the honor - he looked good. In McShay's world, Jordan is now probably a high third round pick.
smiley29.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
By the time the draft comes around, Shipley will be a sure-fire second rounder, as long as he has a good combine, maybe potentially a late first round pick. Todd McGay will be very wrong about Shipley. But you never know with the caste NFL though.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Jack Lambert said:
By the time the draft comes around, Shipley will be a sure-fire second rounder, as long as he has a good combine, maybe potentially a late first round pick. Todd McGay will be very wrong about Shipley. But you never know with the caste NFL though.

I agree. The media is doing everything in it's power to try and draw attention away from Jordan by hyping up other guys as 1st rounders. The truth is Jordan will contribute right away in the league with his combination of speed, agility, route running, and returning abilities. Another guy I can tell the media have all but written off, is Eric Decker. I'm starting to get a sick feeling for what his future holds.. I hope I am wrong.

johnnyboy

Guru
i think shipley will go late secound round or early third round. injury concerns will keep some temas away but he is the best route runner in college football in the last 5 years, and that will entice a lot of teams. i hope he goes to a team with a decent qb. for a receiver, that is crucial.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Nice to see Jordan highly touted in a discussion of wide receivers available in the draft. Notice though, in the video, the all too familiar reference to Wes Welker. Of course, they stay away from any kind of comparison with Welker when analyzing Dexter McCluster being used in the slot. One might say McCluster has a faster 40 time than Welker, but then again so does Jordan.

<h2>Texas' Shipley could be draft's surprisereceiver</h2>

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
While any attention for a white receiver is generally a good thing, that video was filled with stereotyping to the T. No mention of speed or athleticism for Jordan but he somehow magically gets open. They do mention his quickness. Guess quickness does not qualify one as athletic. Then they quickly moved on to gush over McCluster and how athletic he is.

The title of the video is also absurd. How does the leading receiver for the #2 team in the country fall into the surprise category? Dominating the Big 12 for the last 2 years would certainly strike any player off of my surprise list. On the other hand, I'd certainly be "surprised" if half of the negroes on their top 5 ever excel in the NFL. Benn at #3, is a sad joke.

dwid

Hall of Famer
"Shipley reminds me of Wes Welker. Great slot receiver with lacking measurables"

How can fans be so dumb? Welker doesn't lack measurables, he has about the same measurables as Westbrook (around the same size, same 40 4.55 for Welker, 4.57 for Westbrook) and is one of the quickest guys in the league, definetly quicker than Westbrook, but somehow lacks measurables?

And then go on to say Shipley lacks measurable? Shipley is very quick and probably runs in the 4.4 range.

Shipley could definetly succeed as a number 1 or 2 receiver at the next level. McCluster is overrated and undersized, 165, I can't see him having a big role in someone's offense.

Benn is the most overrated receiver in this draft. He was hyped up as a freshman and it seems that hype never died, despite posting around 500 receiving yards this year. Yes he is big and sometimes physical, can move the chains, thats about it, production is lacking this year. If he were White he wouldn't be in the top 10. Decker is a more talented version of Benn. Benn only found the endzone 7 times in his career, Decker found it 24 times. Someone at the number 3 spot should be a game changer, which Benn will not be at the next level(Despite what they said in the video, Shipley will be a game changer)

The WR with most potential to be a game changer in the NFL is Riley Cooper, big physical receiver that runs a 4.3, good run blocker (and can catch). If he were black teams would be drooling over him. Just rewatch the Sugar Bowl, their top 5 guy (Gilyard) had 40 yards receiving, Cooper had 180, he was great in that game and Gilyard failed to impress. Like I said earlier Shipley will be a game changer and Decker should be a game changer too, like a Marques Colston type player but better, good in the redzone.

Unless they mean by game changer, changing the game in negative way, dropped passes, running the wrong route, then I could see some of the guys in their top 5 being definite game changers.

Good point about the title Freethinker, I don't see how someone with Shipley's career and measurables should be a surprise. I guess kind of like how Austin Collie led the nation in receiving, fell the 4th round and was "surprise" player this year, except played in the big 12 and was in the National Championship this year, still making plays with McCoy out of the game.

I mean all of the guys in their top 5 are good, but they just don't really stand out as great to me, except maybe 1 or 2. They are just overhyping all of these guys because there are so many good White receivers in the draft, and quite a few GREAT ones (Shipley, Cooper, and Decker, all 3 of those could be argued as top 5)Edited by: dwid

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great post dwid. I also like your comparison to "surprise player" Austin Collie.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Pete Prisco from CBS Sports agrees:

link

Shipley not another Welker
Posted on: February 26, 2010 4:38 pm

INDIANAPOLIS -- Texas receiver Jordan Shipley is often compared to New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker.

The reason?

Is it because they are both white? What else can it be since they are two different styles of receiver? Welker is more quick than fast. Shipley plays fast, even if he said he hasn't been timed in the 40 since high school.

Shipley is a speed receiver. He was a down-the-field threat at Texas who also excelled returning punts and kickoffs. When he got into the open field, he was gone.

Yet the perception is that he is another Welker. That isn't fair.

I asked Shipley if that was stereotyping.

"I'm not going to comment on that," Shipley said. "Sometimes I don't think that's a bad person to be compared to. I love watching him play. I played a lot more outside. He's a pure slot guy. I don't worry about what people say about me. I know I'm fast enough to get open."

Is he fast enough to dispel that notion that he's another Wes Welker?

Only his 40 time will tell.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The DWF's and some of these sportswriters that compare Shipley to Welker are idiots. Shipley has a better 40 time than Wes but doesn't have Welker's amazing quickness. I'm wondering who they will compare Toby Gerhart to? Some have already compared him to Brian Leonard.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Besides Gerhart, Shipley is the biggest potential caste-buster coming out in the NFL Draft. There is no reason besides color of skin that Shipley shouldn't be a star player in the NFL or just don't believe your lying eyes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
backrow said:
Pete Prisco from CBS Sports agrees:

link

Shipley not another Welker
Posted on: February 26, 2010 4:38 pm

INDIANAPOLIS -- Texas receiver Jordan Shipley is often compared to New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker.

The reason?

Is it because they are both white? What else can it be since they are two different styles of receiver? Welker is more quick than fast. Shipley plays fast, even if he said he hasn't been timed in the 40 since high school.

Shipley is a speed receiver. He was a down-the-field threat at Texas who also excelled returning punts and kickoffs. When he got into the open field, he was gone.

Yet the perception is that he is another Welker. That isn't fair.

I asked Shipley if that was stereotyping.

"I'm not going to comment on that," Shipley said. "Sometimes I don't think that's a bad person to be compared to. I love watching him play. I played a lot more outside. He's a pure slot guy. I don't worry about what people say about me. I know I'm fast enough to get open."

Is he fast enough to dispel that notion that he's another Wes Welker?

Only his 40 time will tell.

Prisco also has a pretty common sense take on the Bengals' signing of Matt Jones. Maybe he's the extremely rare sportswriter who isn't beholden to all the Caste biases and cliches. (Though now he's probably jinxed after being praised on CF.)

KEEPING UP WITH JONES:Here's not just another take on the Matt Jones signing. CBS Sports.com's Pete Prisco used to cover the Jaguars before going national, he still lives in Jacksonville, and he got to know Jones for a few years after Jones arrived as the No. 1 pick in 2005 following his career at Arkansas as a quarterback.

"It's a no-risk signing,"Â￾ Prisco said. "Put him on the field. Take a look at him. He can run. He doesn't play as fast as his time, but it's not a bad signing. Matt Jones is a good kid. He had some young, immature party issues but he's not a bad kid. It took him awhile to adjust to playing wide receiver. Then he got hurt, then they had a new offense, then they had a new quarterback. And he had a good year his last year there. I think with all he's been through, he'll be focused and that's what he needs."Â￾
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Saturday-notes-TO-interests-Ravens/631340cd-72c8-4253-ad07-d366f8777d7f

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
As much as I hate to say it Jordan Shipley's stock has dropped tremendously because of his 40 time. He'll probably go in round 4 at the earliest. Hopefully he doesn't get the Mike Hass treatment.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Jordan had a terrific passing drills, however, caught everything and looked really fast with the ball in his hands. if anything he cemented people's view of him as a slot receiver (at the worst) but i don't think he really hurt his stock. i foresee good things for him.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
When I saw Shipley's 40 time I was bummed. But after watching his second 40 time(a 4.6) I was surprised when the announcers actually didn'ttear him apart. They pretty said based on his tape and the seperation he gets on his routes, his 40 really didn't hurt him all that much.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It all goes back to Mike Hass. He was extremely productive in college and then he ended up running a 4.6. We all know the rest.

JReb1

Mentor
1 or 2 tents of a second mean zip on a football field. I wish the NFL would just scrap the 40 BS all together. It's as ridiculous as a great college football player not being able to play in the NFL because he's an inch or 2 shorter than their ideal. I remember Derrick Brooks slipped in the draft because he was 2 inches shorter than the ideal LB as was Zach Thomas. How would them being an inch or two taller make them better players? It's the same with a 40 time...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
JREB, we all know that 40's don't mean much on the football field. I know Shipley can be very good I'm just worried he might not play like Hass because of his 40 time.