Tell Me These Games Aren’t Fixed

bigunreal

Mentor
Why would any of you doubt that the NFL itself would be involved in fixing games? Don't we regularly talk about how corrupt the NFL is? Aren't they engaged in an ongoing conspiracy to deny countless white players an opportunity to show their skills? As for "someone" revealing the fix, just who would that "someone" be? The same jock-sniffing media who says nothing about the rampant anti-white discrimination in the NFL? This argument is akin to those establishment apologists who say "you can't keep a secret in Washington" to explain why all those dreaded "conspiracy theories" are ridiculous.

foreverfree

Mentor
bigunreal said:
If you bet on the Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins or Raiders back then, you were a very happy fan.

All the teams you rattled off in the quote above won at least one Super Bowl in the '70s. OTOH the "Vikings" and Los Angeles Rams, though frequent (enough) deep venturers into the playoffs, got to but never won the big game, though the Viqueens found getting to the SB easier (in terms of # of appearances) than did the Rams, whose lone pre-St. Louis Super trip came in the 1979 season. Is their total lack of Lombardis in the '70s the reason for their omission from your list of "chosen" teams, bigunreal?

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's a short thread about this in the tennis forum but this item in today's news fits here as well:

Tennis leaders to meet Friday on fighting match-fixing

Concerns about tennis gambling have prompted representatives from the world's major professional tennis associations to schedule a meeting in London on Friday to discuss ways to avoid match-fixing.

The meeting, which will include the ATP, the International Tennis Federation and the WTA, comes three days after 18th-ranked Andy Murray became the latest player to speak out about corruption in the sport.

Rest of article: [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=305746 3[/url]

We have accusations in tennis, the crooked NBA ref, periodic point shaving scandals in college basketball, a German soccer referee who admitted to cheating a few years ago, corruption of track, baseball, cycling and other sportsdue to steroids use that was often encouraged by officials of the respective sports, the subjective nature of officiating in football, basketball and hockey, periodic claims by former NFL players of fixed games -- certainly it isn't a stretch at all to wonder if the NFL doesn't at least tinker with games for point spread reasons (big gambling money) if nothing else.

I agree that the NFL resembles pro wrestling in some aspects. The artificial black domination of both sides of the line of scrimmage has made it easy, even accepted practice, to take plays off, refuse to tackle, do anything to avoid contact including fall to the ground to avoid a defender, and lots of other bogus practices. And of course there's thepreening and absurd celebrating of routine plays. It's entertainment with an agenda, just like everything the media presents to the American sheeple. At the very least football isn't played all out anymore and certainly not with many of the best players; at the worst it's corrupt to the core, including the outcome of some if not many games.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Though there is no way the entire NFL is "in on it," I'm positive that hundreds of games have been fixed. Why? The only possible reasons are as follows:

1) The gambling community pays off refs / coaches / owners

2) The media is trying to "script" the NFL to make it more marketable and less boring than usual. This is a money-making scheme to attract new, younger viewers. The new message being fed to these new viewers: "White bad, black good."

I don't even watch the games anymore...they're always SO BORING. Though the NFL seems to be ubiquitous, I wonder how many people can actually sit and watch this sh*tty, lame excuse for pro-football?Edited by: Thrashen

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thrashen said:
I don't even watch the games anymore...they're always SO BORING. Though the NFL seems to be ubiquitous, I wonder how many people can actually sit and watch this sh*tty, lame excuse for pro-football?

Take away gambling and fantasy football and interest would drop by a very large amount. But with gambling and fantasy football fans maintain their interestdespite many boring games,poor play, and endless penalties and delays, not to mention the time allotted for commercials has to be around a mind-numbing 40 percent of each broadcast.

I once read that NFL interest in Boston wouldn't amount to anything without gambling. Overall, gambling does account for much of the NFL's prominence.

Before the 1950's, believe it or not, pro football wasn't that big a thing in America. When people (especially those who didn't live in a city that had a team) thought of the start of football season, it was college football or the local high school team that the average American thought of. A total of 13 cities had NFL franchises in 1950. The All-America Conference folded after the 1949 season.

It was the explosion of television that helped change this. Most teams had lucrative local TV contracts in the early 1950's. In 1956, the NFL signed a contract with CBS for coverage of all league games. This created fans all over the country. The NY Giants won the 1956 NFL title, and Madison Avenue caught on. The NFL increased in popularity by leaps and bounds in those years.

As I have previously written on the Forum, the NFL wants an honest game. Even now, though they tolerate thug types, a player caught up in gambling would be booted out. The Corporations want their endorsers to be "credible," and the NFL knows that the fans want the product they are putting their money own to be honest.

The league is obviously manipulated, this shows in the racial make-up of
the teams. Same goes for the NBA and now MLB. Since they can't do it
with the NHL, they seem hell bent on destroying it, period.

I have no doubt that refs and the use of some players can manipulate
games as I've stated above. They can even have coaches intentionally
gaffe despite some saying this couldn't happen. I doubt that every game
is fixed though. It only takes a few games to make the mobsters money,
and they generally don't even need the win. Just the spread covered or
not depending on how the money goes will do it.

I always felt that the Rams of old were victimized by cold weather in the
playoffs against lesser Vikings teams. They didn't seem to have too much
trouble against the Vikes during the early season games when the
weather was OK. Too many of the guys may have been used to So Cal
weather. I vaguely remember complaints about officiating in some
instances, if anyone knows more, chime in.

The artificially high numbers of blacks in the NFL and latinos in MLB does
make it easier to fix things, that's for damn sure.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Despite my interest in fantasy football, I am one of those who cannot watch an entire game. The endless commercials, penalties, and poor play make it almost impossible to keep my interest. I'm far more likely to log on to check stats and scores around the league than I am to actually watch a game.

backrow

Hall of Famer
what i do, is watch several games at the same time. try and keep the downtime minimal. and Sunday/Monday night games, i usually watch a show or something else at the same time.

foreverfree

Mentor
FWIW, bigunreal, there are 256 regular season NFL games every year.

256 regular season games
+
4 wild card playoffs
+
4 divisional playoffs
+
2 conference championship games
+
1 Super Bowl
+
267 games counting towards the NFL championship.
That's a lot of games to fix IMO.

You know, this thread reminds me of a discussion I heard while a bunch of us were watching a game in my dormitory TV room during my first semester in college (fall 1979). It was about the Eagles and their "Meadowlands Miracle" the year before (NYG's Joe Pisarcik hands off to Csonka's hip, Herm Edwards scoops up the bouncing ball and races to paycarpet for a 19-17(?) Birds victory). Well, we're discussing this event and one guy chimes in with the theory that this particular "miracle" was, you guessed it, fixed. I didn't dispute it, in fact I didn't say anything about it - I was too busy watching the game on the tube during that discussion.

John

backrow

Hall of Famer
Tom Iron said:
backrow,

Too much time watching the boob tube!!!

Tom Iron...

can't help it, as much as i hate caste system, NFL is still worth it for me as long as there are some players i can root for.