Ted Williams Biography

I just finished the Ted Williams bio by Leigh Montville. It has some new information about the controversy surrounding the death of Ted Williams. There is a long closing section about Williams' decline and death, with the legal battle over his remains, and the cryonics controversy.

Ted made the mistake of getting close to his son from his third marriage, John Henry, who basically took control of him. John Henry used his father to sign memorabilia for his profit. John Henry failed in one business after another while using his father's money. Ironically, John Henry Williams died of leukemia soon after sending Ted's remains to the cryonics warehouse.

Early in the book, Montville tells of visiting Ted's old neighborhood in San Diego. The old-timers tell Montville the neighborhood has declined, now populated by "new and threatening people," but "it does not look threatening in the day," Montville writes. He adds, "Two kids from next door are playing in front. Alas, they are kicking a soccer ball." Montville draws no conclusions from how Ted Williams' former home has changed.

Toward the end of the book, Montville writes of "Ted Willaims' Hispanic heritage, which makes him a forerunner of the Latin players who are the lifeblood of baseball today." Ted Williams' mother was of Mexican extraction who was of Spanish Basque descent. Willaims himself never made anything of this. His second wife said that he never mentioned it.

For someone who wants to read a biography of Ted Williams, I suggest the 1993 title, "Hitter: The Life and Turmoils of Ted Williams," by Ed Linn. This is the best book on the subject. I advise skipping the Leigh Montville book.