Team Spain

G

I can barely describe how good all-white Spain is. Tonight they crushed Greece 81-66, honestly, making the Greeks look bad.

For starters, Spain is probably the best passing team in history, rivaled by only Larry Bird's Celtics, the year with Bill Walton. They always find the open man down low, and their bigs are very good finishers and their smalls are great shooters. Their offense is a like a machine.

The big surprise to me is the quality of the Spanish defense. They swarm, yes, but they also play immaculate help defense. There is absolutely no open passes anywhere close to the basket, and they always take the smart foul to prevent any easy baskets.

Their rebounding is top notch, especially on the offensive end. They always have at least 2 guys crashing the boards. They are very physical.

The biggest surprise player: Rudy Fernandez. He is a white clone of D. Wade athletically, attacking the basket, floating up in the air. Except he is a better outside shooter.

Their depth is remarkable as well. They can sub out four guys, and still continue to run up the score, with the exact same style and efficiency. There was no let-up in them, no mental lapses, the whole game.

This is the new Dream Team. All you basketball lovers out there should go out of your way to watch this team in action. Edited by: 89Glory

jared

Mentor
"This is the new Dream Team. All you basketball lovers out there should go out of your way to watch this team in action."

Done and done. Thanks for another awesome write-up.

Charlie

Guru
The only weakness I saw in Spain was Ricky Rubio. A point guard can't lose the ball like that when pressured in the back court. He really is slow. Don't like the 'Ricky' on his jersey either.

But the rest of the team, wow! The 'color' commentator kept going on about the 'mad artist' look of the Gasols. When the 'color' commentator starts talking about a white player's appearance, e.g. Nash's hair, you know he's worried for his black comrades.

G

My brother and me always have some good laughs when Chipper Jones is announcing, due to his steady steam of stupidity.

Don't get too down on Ricky yet. I agree that he looked like crap against the Greek press, but that press features the two best defensive guards in Europe.

I don't think he deserves to be called slow. In the half court he gets past his man for layups pretty much at will.

G

Incredible game for the ages this morning, as Spain pulled out a tight and hard fought win in overtime against China. Pau carried them, shooting an incredible 13 of 16 inside the arc, mainly in the face of Yao Ming, eventually fouling Yao out on a strong move in overtime.China had a great shooting game, hitting shots in the teeth of tight and aggressive Spanish defense.Spain was hampered by numerous unforced turnovers on the offensive end, and a poor shooting night from 3's.

Down by 2 with 20 seconds left in the game, Spain went to MARC (!) Gasol for the one-on-one move against Yao, and he came through.Ricky Rubio then made a gutsy hustling steal to prevent China from getting a shot off with their last possession. Ricky played incredible defense all game, ending with 5 steals, and dished some spectacular assists.

Rudy Fernandez continued his highlight-film-worthy attacks, soaring to the basket repeatedly throughout the game.

An absolutely wonderful game to watch. I slept through the live broadcast but the rebroadcast is available online at http://www.justin.tv/lasexta6

Next up, a nice test against Germany. Should be an easy one for us to catch live, with tip off time at 6pm (PST) on Wednesday evening.

Charlie

Guru
Ricky Rubio shut my mouth with his performance. A PG who can pick another PG's pocket, a la Walt Frazier, is very disruptive to the other team.

It looked really bad at the point Spain's captain went out with an injury. Coming back like that has to give Spain a lot of confidence.

G

More stupid anti-white media, trying to overhype any supposed white racism. Anyway, here is what Jose had to say about it, which was done during a shoot for one of their CHINESE sponsors:

"I would like to share a story with you about something that happened with the Spanish National Team that someone interpreted incorrectly. It happened in the photo session where the Spanish National Team was introduced; one of our sponsors asked us to pose with a "wink" to our participation in Beijing, we made an oriental expression with our eyes. We thought it was something appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving. Never the less some of the European media did not see it this way.

From here I would like to declare that we have a huge respect for the East and their people, some of my best friends in Toronto are from China and one of our Spanish National Team sponsors is the Chinese brand Li Ning. Anyone who would like to interpret this differently is absolutely confused."

G

A few final words on Team Spain, an all-White basketball powerhouse, a joy to all white basketball fans, before we have to endure another NBA season.Just to put their accomplishments in perspective:

Playing hard-nosed man-to-man defense most of the game, in many ways, Spain outplayed the US, dominating the offensive glass, attacking the hoop with impunity, getting the USA in deep foul trouble, and playing an NBA-style high scoring, high intensity game.

USA had to pull out the victory by relying on 3-point shooting, uncharacteristically hitting over 46% of their 28 shots behind the arc. As the old cliche goes, what would happen in a seven game series? Spain's chances would be good.

Spain played with only one established NBA guy, Pau, who is largely derided by American basketball fans as soft and overrated. Spain was led by a bunch of non-NBA youngsters like Rudy Fernandez, Marc Gasol, and Ricky Rubio, as well as J.C. Navarro, an NBA casteoff who did not even get starters minutes on the worst team in the league, and guys like F. Reyes and C. Jimenez who will never get a whiff of the NBA. They did not even have the help of their one other NBA guy, Jose Calderon, "barely good enough" to be an NBA starter, who did not play at all due to injury.

And they played toe to toe with a highly motivated and superbly-coached group of NBA all-stars, supposedly the best players in the world, what most people have called the best USA basketball team since the original Dream Team.

While an upset victory over USA would have blown up the foundations of caste basketball, the strong Spanish showing was still a huge uplift. D. Wade and K. Bryant carried USA throughout the tournament and in the final, but it is doubtful we will see them in a USA uniform again. With their core group very young and improving, we can look forward to some great things from team Spain.

Hats off to the wonderfully skilled and athletic Spanish team.

G

I noticed the announcers were careful to make sure the viewer understood that none of the Spanish players were athletic.