Taylor-Calzaghe

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i'm not much of a boxing fan, but World Middleweight Champ Jermaine Taylor, from my home state of Arkansas, has been making a lot of noise over the last couple of years, and it has been printed in the news that he wants to move up to face Joe Calzaghe...

any ideas from you guys who know much more than me about what this potential match-up could mean?

JD074

Master
It would mean a lot!! This is the fight that I would most like to see. If Calzaghe could beat Taylor, it would be a very big deal.

white is right

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
It would mean a lot!! This is the fight that I would most like to see. If Calzaghe could beat Taylor, it would be a very big deal.
Dan Rapheal is on the record as picking Joe C to beat Taylor, unless Taylor starts improving if their proposed fight happens next year.

Iron

Guru
Calzaghe would beat Taylor based on what i've seen of him.a box/slugger like Calzaghe would prove a nightmare for Jermaine.i'll rather see Calzaghe take on Hopkins who he's been calling out for years.in 2003 a massive summer showdown was on the cards between the 2 in Cardiff in which Hopkins would have earned for him what would have been his biggest payday exceeding what he made for the Trinidad fight,the contracts were close to being signed before Hopkins promptly pulled out making impossible demands.he wanted no part of Calzaghe and this after refering to the compexion connection being a major sell and marketing angle to the fight.you'd also think,a man with the tough street cred,a guy that come from the genuine school of hard knocks would have been even more riled after Calzaghe publicy stated to the media that he'd love the chance to close Hopkin's big mouth.nothing for poor Joe seemed to work
smiley6.gif

i'd rather Kesslar take on Taylor or young American puncher Pavlik a year down the line.

Bunnyman

Guru
Huge fight that would finally put Calzaghe on the map for the American boxing public. Joe has a record 19 defenses of his WBO super middleweight belt and is currently the longest reigning boxing champion (since 1997).

I think Joe would get an easy decision against Taylor. But not quite as easy as he beat the black hope Jeff Lacy.

Hockaday

Guru
Taylor doesn't have the fire in him to keep up with Calzaghe. The only edge Taylor has is age. Hopefully Joe has at least one or two great performances left in him.

JD074

Master
Taylor's stock has definitely dropped after his last fight; I didn't see it, but apparently it was very uneventful. But it would still be a huge victory for Calzaghe. Also, Calzaghe is looking ahead towards retirement. If he could beat Manfredo, then Taylor, that would be a great way to finish up his career. (And he wouldn't have to fight Kessler! Heh heh.)