Sydney Track Classic 2009

mastermulti

Master
This was probably the best meet I've been to. The athletes they brought out here pushed our young guns hard, which can only be beneficial.
Perhaps Athletics Australia is now trying to sell the sport at last.

For anyone interested, search youtube for "Sydney track classic 2009" and you'll find nearly every event

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the update. I belive this meet was a few weeks ago. Aaron Rouge Serret looked great with the double win in the 100 & 200 meters.

The Australian National Championships are this weekend. They go from Thursday throught Sunday. It should be exciting.

mastermulti

Master
John Woods has made it through to round 2 but, what I've seen if him recently,he starts well and gets run down. I don't know if it's a speed endurance problem or if he just doesn't have great top end speed but I'd hoped he'd come on better over here than he has.

No stand outs in the heats (several low 10.40's)but I like the improvement of New Zealander David Ambler this year. He's 19 and going into the 10.30's. A little guy with great leg speed and will probably place top 3 but behind Anthony Alozie and an improving Patrick Johnson.
I think Johnson may have peaked for these championships and will give Rouge-Serret a cause to worry.

Only two women worth mentioning... an easy 11.40e to McLelland and 11.50e to 19 yo Breen. No depth in this event in Australia at the moment.

Worthy of mention too is Sean Wroe, the 400 man who preceeded his 400 metre heat by running an hour earlier in the 100s and doing a respectable 10.61 (which is quicker than Woods did) to qualify into the next roundEdited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wroe is attempting to win the 100,200 and 400 meters titles at the Australian Championships. What an acomplishment that would be. From what I've heard, his idols are Jeremy Wariner and LaShawn Meritt of the US. Sean Wroe actually looks alot like Wariner in the face. He should have a bright future.

I hope Serret can win the championship. It will really help his confidence. It's a shame Adam Miller never turned out like we thought he might. Probably because his legs are so short but he is so talented. I will have to keep an eye on David Ambler.

Keep us posted mastermulti. You are the thunder from down under. Our site line reporter.
smiley36.gif

mastermulti

Master
did you see a New Zealander placed a close second in the womens 200 at the Sydney Grand Prix, WL?

Her name is Monique Williams, a strapping blonde of 23, and she lowered her PB by half a second to run high 22's for a NZ record that was previously set before she was born.
She runs in our champs this weekend. Ran her 400 heat last night

mastermulti

Master
1 Joshua Ross81 VIC10.34 -0.4
2 Aaron Rouge-Serret 88 VIS 10.36 -0.4
3 David Ambler 89 NZL 10.41 -0.4
4 Matt Davies 85 QLD 10.45 -0.4
5 Patrick Johnson72 QAS 10.51 -0.4
6 Bola Lawal& nbsp;76 VIC 10.51 -0.4
7 Oluseyi Smith87 CAN 10.59 -0.4
8 Jacob Groth 85 NSW 10.61 -0.4

good race between the two training partners.

1. Sally McLellan11.32 -0.1

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just watched Monique on youtube lose by an eyelash at the Sydney Track Classic on youtube. I thought she won the race. What an outstanding result. Your right about her looks as well. She is stunning. It will be easy to keep an eye on her. Very nice form as well.
smiley2.gif

Sean Wroe won the 400 in a nice time of 45.03! He is coming along very nicely. I hope he doesn't lose his coach.

Congrats to Joshua Ross. He tied Shirvo's Record of 5 National Championships. I would have never guessed it after he melted down last year. I'm glad to at least see him be in a better mental state of mind. I had heard he might even be suicidal last year.

I really thought Aaron Rouge-Serret would win it. What a close race. At the end of the day, he is still only 21 and a 10.36 into a negative wind is a good time. Both Serret and Ambler should have quite the rivalry over the next decade or so. I like both of these guys. I think that Patrick Johnson is done. He needs to hang them up. He had a descent career but never rarely won in the big races. I also think his sub 10 was a fluke. He never came close to that time ever again. Shirvington was by far more consistant and a better sprinter.

One last thing. I was hoping to see McLellan and Breen run alot faster. We still have all summer in Europe however. If I ever make it down to Australia, I would love to watch a few meets down there with you mate. Edited by: white lightning

mastermulti

Master
here is a link to Monique who is at university studying for teaching quals.
She ran a new PR in the 400 last night, 51.88 and has the 200 to go (ran 22.98 in Sydney)
monique

reminds me a little of Katrinna Krabbe from this shotEdited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wow. Please get her phone number for me!
smiley36.gif
What a talent. Austalia is starting to have alot of young talent again. It's great to see as just a half year ago I thought that Athletics in Australia was almost dead when they wanted to stop funding for sprinters and such.

mastermulti

Master
well, Rouge-Serret got up for the 200m, not fast at 20.95 but into a negative 2.0 wind.

McLellan did 12.74 (-1.3mps) in the 100H, an exceptional run , winning by 1 full second.

Three long jumpers broke 8 metres. Lapierre was well down with only 1 (poor) legal jump and pulled out an 8.29m last round to become Australia's 3rd best ever.
Mitchell Watts (20) did an 8.10m and Chris Noffke (also 20)an 8.00 even.

The main thing of note was (as seemingly usual) most sprints were into headwinds, making qualification difficult.
The conspiracy theorist in me sometimes wonders if there's a secret plan here to stop people qualifying unless they really pull off a huge result. Certainly saves on spending when the big O/S meets come around

StarWars

Mentor
Sean Wroe is at the top lists of the 400m. with a 45.07. At 24 years old, that is very impressive. Him, Wariner, and the Swede Johan Wissman will all run very good 400m. I think all will break into the 44's, and Wariner will get below 43.45. There is also a British 400m., but I haven't heard anything from him yeat. Also David Gillick oof Ireland and Claudio Licciardello of Italy should break into the 44's. Usain Bolt ran only a 45.5, but watch for him to peak towards the end of his cycle at high 43s or low 44's. Wariner will beat him handily though.

StarWars

Mentor
yuri malenkov said:
I was wondering if MITCHELL WATTS is white? He jumped 8.17m into a -1.0m/s headwind this year>

Both Mitchell Watts and Lapierre are white!
smiley1.gif
They aree definitely people to look out for.

StarWars

Mentor
Watts, Lapierre, and Wroe hopefully didn't overwork themselves during the winter season. They proide excellent support for the upper tier white athletes, and are in medal contention themselves.

I have a question about Australia. Because of Shirvo, their best 100 meter runner in history being white, and Johnson being half white; is Australia a haven for white athletes. They seem to do very well down there on their own, so does Australia's general public think whites are just as athletic as blacks? If so, I might move there for that reason alone (believe it or not I am completely serious). I might try to run track either there or in New Zealand too.

Also, is Australia mainly white and of British heritage? I wouldn't mind living in a country that actually believes in and supports its white athletes.
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley2.gif

mastermulti

Master
If you can run really fast you will be subsidised and nursed here to some degree. Your race, colour, creed are not barriers.
The thing is, you have to show special talent which very few people have. To reach these standards I believe the powers that be in the sport are looking to people like Nigerians to become naturalised Aussies to try to boost our sprint stock. So the idea of black supremacy in the sprints is certainly catching on here.
There is a big search on for good sprint stock amongst our indigenous blacks too.
John Woods (the white U.S. sprinter)has been trying valiantly here for some time with little result.
We do have good training conditions year round and that's a bonus.
At present though I think emphasis is being placed on people who do the technically more difficult events. That's why we have good long jumpers, pole vaulters, throwers and improving hurdlers. They think if we can't match the sheer speed of the west African descent blacks we can beat them on technique and discipline (as our relay teams often do.It's nothing new, the old Soviet regime had much success with this philosophy.

With regard to sprinting,Asafa Powell and the top Americans etc are treated with great respect and awe here, but it's not unusual or considered strange for the best Aussies at the time to be victorious in at least some of the meets especially since the visitors are out of season.
I, for instance have witnessed Steve Brimacombe beat Carl Lewis over 100, Damien Marsh and Dean Capobianco beat Michael Johnson over 100 and Shane Naylor very nearly beat Linford Christie. Now these guys may not have been in peak form but they certainly don't come here to get their asses kicked so they are giving their all. In the early 80's I used to see Paul Narracott often give Alan Wells, Mel Lattany and Don Quarrie some awful frights (watch youtube "Commonwealth Games 100 metres,1982, Alan Wells" to see Wells pass Ben Johnson and Narracoott almost catch him too...great race)Edited by: mastermulti

StarWars

Mentor
I just like how in Austalia if someone said that white people can't run they would say Shirvo. In America nobody even knows about anyone except for Bolt or Johnson. If I were to persue sprinting I'd definitely do it in Australia. Especially because of the weather.