Super affletic black corners?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I agree. I was not trying to say Shoemaker is an average receiver but a lot of his catches were caught in zone coverage. Despite his incredible measurables I dont know if he is going to have separation quickness against NFl corners. Trust me! I hope I am wrong. Speed is speed no matter what color you are and he just dosen't look very fast or at least quick. Time will tell. I am rooting for Connor Dixon , Pflugrad, Carrier, Wylie, Coale, Shoemaker, Ebert and Searcy to name a few.

i actually typed an incorrect time for Shoemaker in the 40. he ran a 4.44 instead of a 4.47 on his Pro Day (only .05 seconds slower than Young's 4.39). that's only slightly faster, i know, but i want to be correct. i will go back and correct my earlier post.

as for his quickness ... Shoemaker also actually posted better quickness and agility numbers at his Pro Day than the smaller Titus Young did at his Pro Day a year ago. i'll show the comparisons below:

Shoemaker ran a 1.55 10-yard split and a 4.28 short shuttle.
Young ran a 1.58 10-yard split and a 4.30 short shuttle. both men ran 6.85 in the 3-cone drill.

additionally, it should be added that Shoemaker is a much larger, stronger guy than Young (who caught 6 touchdowns as a rookie for Detroit last season, 4th-most in team history). so, the stopwatch says Shoemaker is actually a slight bit quicker and more agile than the proven-NFL-ready Young, in addition to being taller, stronger, and a better leaper (37-inch vertical compared to 35 inches for the shorter Young). again, i'm pointing out facts not opinions.

fact is, Shoe's physical skill set, athletic ability, and productivity are superior to that of his NFL-paycheck-earning, black former teammates ... except for the affletic skin tone, of course. my opinion is this: whether Shoemaker (who made his mark in college after starting out as a walk-on) will hack it as an NFL wideout is likely going to be determined by if he gets a legitimate chance or not.

dwid

Hall of Famer
i actually typed an incorrect time for Shoemaker in the 40. he ran a 4.44 instead of a 4.47 on his Pro Day (only .05 seconds slower than Young's 4.39). that's only slightly faster, i know, but i want to be correct. i will go back and correct my earlier post.

as for his quickness ... Shoemaker also actually posted better quickness and agility numbers at his Pro Day than the smaller Titus Young did at his Pro Day a year ago. i'll show the comparisons below:

Shoemaker ran a 1.55 10-yard split and a 4.28 short shuttle.
Young ran a 1.58 10-yard split and a 4.30 short shuttle. both men ran 6.85 in the 3-cone drill.

additionally, it should be added that Shoemaker is a much larger, stronger guy than Young (who caught 6 touchdowns as a rookie for Detroit last season, 4th-most in team history). so, the stopwatch says Shoemaker is actually a slight bit quicker and more agile than the proven-NFL-ready Young, in addition to being taller, stronger, and a better leaper (37-inch vertical compared to 35 inches for the shorter Young). again, i'm pointing out facts not opinions.

fact is, Shoe's physical skill set, athletic ability, and productivity are superior to that of his NFL-paycheck-earning, black former teammates ... except for the affletic skin tone, of course. my opinion is this: whether Shoemaker (who made his mark in college after starting out as a walk-on) will hack it as an NFL wideout is likely going to be determined by if he gets a legitimate chance or not.
well to keep things "fair" lets try to compare combine times. Titus Young ran a 4.43 at the combine, which is .04 slower than what he ran on Boise's track, which means that Shoemaker would have ran around a 4.48 at the combine, still an impressive number for someone so big, compared to Justin Blackmon who ran on one of the fastest tracks where everyone agrees his 4.46 would be about a 4.6 at the combine, or a 4.56 at the best. It would put Shoemaker on the level of Michael Floyd, who would be going first overall if it weren't for off the field issues, many still have him as the top receiver, but most have him at number 2. His time may still have been around 4.44 since Titus Young's 10 yard split was exactly the same at the combine.

Hopefully he gets a chance, they say he "may have earned his way into a late round pick" with his time. On field production: check, measurables to match that production : check. I think had one of the recruiting services ranked him higher coming out he might have a better chance, maybe a 4th round pick, but the fact that he they did not, and proves their services are crap will leave him getting the Blair White treatment, also sub 4.5 speed, production at a big school, 6'2, but a walk on. Scout had Danny Coale and Devon Wylie as 3 star prospects, which might have helped them in the long run. They may get picked in the 4th round like Brian Hartline or Austin Collie. I am sure they have since updated their pages since White and Shoemaker have had success, they have White with 3 stars, but I highly doubt that since he only had d2 offers out of high school and no one knew who he was, and no way Shoemaker had any stars having to walk on to Boise St but they have him as a 2 star recruit now.

white is right

Hall of Famer
well to keep things "fair" lets try to compare combine times. Titus Young ran a 4.43 at the combine, which is .04 slower than what he ran on Boise's track, which means that Shoemaker would have ran around a 4.48 at the combine, still an impressive number for someone so big, compared to Justin Blackmon who ran on one of the fastest tracks where everyone agrees his 4.46 would be about a 4.6 at the combine, or a 4.56 at the best. It would put Shoemaker on the level of Michael Floyd, who would be going first overall if it weren't for off the field issues, many still have him as the top receiver, but most have him at number 2. His time may still have been around 4.44 since Titus Young's 10 yard split was exactly the same at the combine.

Hopefully he gets a chance, they say he "may have earned his way into a late round pick" with his time. On field production: check, measurables to match that production : check. I think had one of the recruiting services ranked him higher coming out he might have a better chance, maybe a 4th round pick, but the fact that he they did not, and proves their services are crap will leave him getting the Blair White treatment, also sub 4.5 speed, production at a big school, 6'2, but a walk on. Scout had Danny Coale and Devon Wylie as 3 star prospects, which might have helped them in the long run. They may get picked in the 4th round like Brian Hartline or Austin Collie. I am sure they have since updated their pages since White and Shoemaker have had success, they have White with 3 stars, but I highly doubt that since he only had d2 offers out of high school and no one knew who he was, and no way Shoemaker had any stars having to walk on to Boise St but they have him as a 2 star recruit now.
Chris Carr was cut today. He is probably a Quadroon and in a few photos without a playing tan he looks White but a little bit off...:icon_lol: Anyway his pro day totals were mediocre speed wise at 4.6 and he only did 14 reps of 225 pounds. A White player with his measurables would be a training camp body at best and would have never carved out a decent career for a journeyman....http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=18502&draftyear=2005&genpos=FShttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3448/chris-carr

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
does anyone recall the Minnesota-San Francisco game on opening day this (2015) season? the reason i'm pointing this game out is because of one particular play involving a virtually unheard of White tight end and a legitimately fast black dude. the relevant play was a field goal ...

Vikings starting safety Andrew Sendejo blocked a 49er field goal attempt, and that's when the real action began.

Vikings reserve cornerback Marcus Sherels, known more for his prowess as the team's all-time best punt returner than his (poor) coverage skills, scooped up the loose ball and sprinted down the sideline for what looked to be a sure touchdown ... except for the speed (and hustle, of course) of San Fran's reserve tight end Vance McDonald.

McDonald, coming all the way from the far side of the field and well behind the play, caught Sherels from behind and shoved him out of bounds to prevent the score. how is that even possible?!?

this play showcases a handful of pertinent bits of information, with the most obvious being that 40 times (as they are done for the NFL) are a completely pointless measurement of speed. having football players run in shorts and no shirts to determine who is "fast" on the football field is ludicrous.

this play demonstrates that fact yet again.

McDonald, who is a fast tight end (and a terrific athlete), ran a 4.69 at the NFL Combine (and a 4.60 at his Prod Day). Sherels, who is a fast cornerback and one of the NFL's best punt returners (and a terrific athlete), ran somewhere between a 4.37 and 4.41 at his Pro Day.

yet McDonald caught Sherels from behind in the open field. "weird," huh?

additionally, one "wonders" why McDonald is pigeon-holed as a tight end, anyway. he spent more time as a slot receiver and lined up on the outside in college at Rice than he did as an in-line tight end. heck, he even nearly 6 yards-per-carry in limited opportunities at running back. all that playmaking ability, and he's spent most of his time in the NFL as a WSTD. "weird," huh?

here's the play, and you can see this all for yourself:

[video=youtube;V9yTyEJtScI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9yTyEJtScI[/video]