Starting White Safeties Week 7

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
whiteathlete33 said:
MostDangerous said:
whiteathlete33 said:
Out of 64 starting safeties in the league that would gives us a total of 9 white starters including Steve Gregory. That's about 14 percent of the starting safeties in the league are white.
That's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Plus, is it just me or is it insanely odd that Cody Grimm is starting? I know he's got some connections with his dad but isn't he a rookie? Did someone get injured ahead of him or something? He's playing great but it's so shocking to see a white guy start at DB his first year...

On the home page it mentions that five percent of starting white safeties are white. That's around the percentage it was several years ago. Things have gotten better, if only slightly.
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div>It's a noticeable improvement, but the downside is that Weddle and Leonhard are the only two White safeties with job security to speak of. The rest are jerked in and out of the lineup depending on injury situations and the whims of the coaching staff. </div>
<div></div>
<div>Since moreWhite safetiesbeing "allowed" to start this season and thus are more noticeable on the field,hopefully the nextphase of thattrend will be tohave more of them become entrenched as starters.</div>

You are right about that Don. Most of the starting white safeties can be kicked to the bench at any point for even the smallest mistakes. One thing that really surprises me is that Tampa Bay, an almost coal black team, has three white safeties on the roster. It's great that Grimm is starting but I think the two best safeties are Piscitelli and Lynch and both should be starting.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Truthteller said:
<div>Real, quickly, I want to mention a pair of players that were "destroyed" by the Caste system: Chris Kern and Matt Stevens

I remember Kern well. Your recitation of his brief NFL career is all too accurate. Kern was likely cut by his effeminate, teary-eyed "coach Mooch"Â￾ due to his inability to properly arouse the odious clown boy.

I remember when Todd Franz first entered the NFL. On NFL.com, his "profile picture"Â￾ was some random Negro face. I sent an incredibly sarcastic email to the website, and the "mistake"Â￾ was corrected in 2-3 days.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i had the chance to watch Kern play on tv a few times whilst he was in college (and we have mentioned him several times in the past on CF), and i particularly recall his matchup in a collegiate all-star game with another White player who has been cast(e) aside ... record-setting wideout David Kircus. Kern was the only cornerback in the game to prevent Kircus (who was named the game's MVP if i recall correctly) from running around wide open.

these two White athletes are, to put it bluntly, better than virtually any of the "real" affletes playing those two positions that football fanswill get the chance towatchthis Sunday. yet, "somehow," these two White players were never given more than the most cursory of opportunities to show their stuff in a league based on "the best athletes in the world play." uh, yeah. right.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

JReb1

Mentor
Cody Grimm has played really good (especially for a rookie) and should be the starter next year even after Tanard finishes his drug suspension, but he'll probably be the backup like Sabby, if raheem is still the coach.
smiley7.gif

Edited by: JReb1